DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 107
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #1591
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Wetwedding project 31

Here, it gets murky. Not sure how much detail all y'all want, whether DK's mumbling her way into TMI. But here goes, for today.

At first glance, this is a boring picture with nothing in it. But, it represents a global design thought centered around safety.

RO-DKstyle is a mixture of water, electricity, and high pressure. All three of these are to be vastly respected individually, and the COMBINATION of them is to be nearly feared, by an intelligent person.

Therefore, RO-DKstyle was designed with ONE SINGLE power source that distributes to the whole apparatus via the relays. That ONE SINGLE power source is plugged into a dedicated circuit that is GFCI protected.

What this means is that anywhere downstream from our master plug, if there is current leakage outside of the system, the GFCI will (hopefully) pop, rending ALL electricity to the system cut off.

The white plug is the plug to the master power supply, the 24 VAC transformer.

The grey plug is the POWER to the outlet bank that is triggered by the relay inside the bank when it receives a 24 VAC signal from the master power supply. When that relay receives the 24 VAC signal, it closes a circuit that THEN draws 120 VAC power from its grey plug. So while the grey plug is plugged into the "master GFCI outlet," it is ONLY sending that power out to the outlet bank WHEN the 24 VAC power supply is active (which is when the pressure switch calls for power). So if anything interrupts the pressure switch or 24 VAC current circuit, that grey plug is not drawing power, even though it is plugged into that outlet.

So, in summary, ONE POINT OF CONTROL, for electricity, in this system. This is designed this way for easier safety measures, through our GFCI protected circuit.

Also, if DK wants to work on the system and needs to make sure EVERYTHING in the system is de-energized, she has only to pull the white plug from its outlet.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-18-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #1592
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

things working better with the shrimp now i take it. are plants still getting all they need nitrate wise?
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #1593
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
things working better with the shrimp now i take it. are plants still getting all they need nitrate wise?
Oh, definitely so. The plants are showing much slower, but yet steady growth (now that they are not showered in nitrate pudding each meal), you can see this by all the fresh growth tips on the moss.

Your question brings us back to our bridal theme colors, below.

The system is now running a nice balance of micronutrients and macronutrients (for plants, that is). It's running tank feed water at nominally 5 ppm nitrates (left, in picture) and 0.5 ppm phosphates (right, in picture), as our colors show, a good ratio for plant growth and yet algae control.

IN OTHER NEWS:

I keep forgetting to update. Our Red Tiger female, who had her a fling NOT with a Red Tiger (she wanted to "find herself" and said she couldn't do that within the "cloistered feeling of her OWN community," so she went outside her circles and found herself a boyfriend elsewhere - well, OK, mebbe DK was an enabler, here), dropped her young several days ago and immediately reberried. I have seen two microbabies at once in there, and continue to look for them, but I do know they are in there and surviving.

I have a berried pumpkin rili - she is so pretty with her orange and clear body and neon yellow berries!

A couple months ago I split out the black tigers - upper tank to drive the population into various broke-blacks types (T-Rex, Overo, etc.), lower tank to drive the population toward solid blacks. While I was running around firestomping and head-banging trying to figure out all the details of RO-DKstyle, they've been busy gettin' busy in there, I discovered yesterday. Apparently they have some sort of floozie competition going with the Mermaids, to see who can be the most promiscuous.

Ever since I finished the WFIII DKMSJ work, everyone has been pumping out the babies, but the capture rate was affected by the nitrates. Now that's being corrected...

Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #1594
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

that is so awsome you are gettin all the babies. cant wait to see pics of new shrimp. can you tell if the red tiger babies are red tiger or other color or is it way to soon to tell?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #1595
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
that is so awsome you are gettin all the babies. cant wait to see pics of new shrimp. can you tell if the red tiger babies are red tiger or other color or is it way to soon to tell?
Too early to tell. They are about 3 mm size as of today.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #1596
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

mermaid factory it looks like lol.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #1597
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

It's gotta be wicked cool to see all those white arm's movin.

So with the flushing of the RO membranes, will you ever have to replace them?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #1598
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
mermaid factory it looks like lol.
Yeah, they are pumping them out lately. This picture was taken just after I cleaned the glass and removed most of their moss mass (to expose more of the rock surface to the light, as that's where they graze), which scared most of them under the rock. If you look carefully you will see the ones on top exactly fit under the shadow of the remaining moss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loachutus View Post
It's gotta be wicked cool to see all those white arm's movin.

So with the flushing of the RO membranes, will you ever have to replace them?
The interesting thing about this specie that I don't see in any other specie is that they align themselves like cows do. They all try to face the direction of the guy next to them. This of course makes the white claw action all that MORE mesmerizing. Remember that video I sent you? I hope to be there within a year.... heh heh heh...

Flushing the membranes will prolong their lifespan and increase their efficiency during their lifespan, but they will eventually need to be replaced.

IN OTHER NEWS:

B: These pics are for you:

Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #1599
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK thinks this is even more interesting than the pumpkin rili.

Is this female some sort of chimera? (Google is your friend)

Click on the picture to see it larger.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4265.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	129441  

Name:	IMG_4269b.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	129473  

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	129481  

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-20-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #1600
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

And this guy. The picture doesn't show it, but in real life you can see it when he's under light as the orange glows differently than the red pigment under light.

Chimera and rili?? (click to enlarge)

The cat is real, and is a chimera.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4267.JPG
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	129449  

Name:	IMG_4267b.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	129457  

Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #1601
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

tooo coool dk. keep up the good work
Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #1602
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Those Orange Rillis are awesome. So pretty.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #1603
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Thanks for posting pics of the orange rilis. I love the look!

In all cases of Chimera that I am aware of, the split happens vertically from head to tail. So, I doubt those are Chimera, however they may be some of the first "calico" I've seen. Would be interesting to try to selectively breed for a strain where the colors are more prominent.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #1604
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

BTW Here's a post I had on gynandromorphs a while back: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...423&highlight=

Always an intellectual discussion on what makes a gynandromorphs different from Chimera, but in almost all cases it comes down to gynandromorphs having both sex organs, while Chimeras do not.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #1605
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Here's a chimeric mouse that doesn't show the lateral definition. There is also a precedent for crustaceans that does show lateral definition and does NOT, see second picture (I presume left lobster is chimeric, non lateral, middle lobster is a whole body pigment mutation, right lobster is a lateral split chimera - the chimerism depends on when the source cells split/blend I guess):