Assassin Snails and Pond Snails
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Assassin Snails and Pond Snails

I went and bout about 4 assassin snails after a small pond snail explosion in my tank (under 100 I believe)

The pond snails are quite small, about 2-3 mm wide, small.

I havent seen any of my assassin snails attach any of the pond snails of this size. There was one time when the assassin was right on top of a pond snail, rolled over it for like 4 seconds, waited then continued on it's merry way. It then was on track for another pond snail with it's big snout out, looked at it and continued on it's way. Are my pond snails too small for them to attack? Or??

Has anyone else had small pond snails and had the assassin eradicate their problem?

Thanks
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
kseanm247
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I haven't tried this myself, but I heard a good way to get rid of pond snails is to put a piece of lettuce in your tank at night and remove it in the morning after its covered with snails. Might take a couple nights or so. If you try this, please let me know if it works.
kseanm247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseanm247 View Post
I haven't tried this myself, but I heard a good way to get rid of pond snails is to put a piece of lettuce in your tank at night and remove it in the morning after its covered with snails. Might take a couple nights or so. If you try this, please let me know if it works.
That's alway worked for me with pond snails. Make sure you weight the lettuce down. The snails really won't go for it if it floats.
Fdsh5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I never ever saw my assassin snails kill anything but I did begin to notice more and more empty snail shells.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.