Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #166
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a question for the resident lighting guru: any par info on the coralife light that has the stock #ENE53008? It uses 2 65W straightpin bulbs.
I am planning on using this for my 12L and have no idea how high I will need to hang it
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #167
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Every Coralife light I have seen has had poor reflectors. The Coralife PC fixtures I have seen essentially had no reflector at all. So, those lights can be expected to produce from half to a third of the PAR that a AH Supply PC light produces. But, I don't recall ever seeing any PAR data for those lights.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #168
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
"It seems that some need light that encourages the red leaves, and all need light with enough red in it to be able to reflect red so you see the color."

Yeah, I've heard the same. That seems to be the gripe about finnex and other leds. I have led fixtures with 20% 660nm. I guess the only way to find out is give it a try.

Thanks.

Are you suggesting that the available red light in the finnex ray 2 daylight LED isn't enough for red plants?
PlantedTankRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #169
guacadoggie

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello. Unless I missed it earlier in this thread, what about compact fluorescent screw-in bulbs? I have two of the following setups on my 48"x24"x18" 75-gal tank. It comes to over 3 watts per gallon, but I'm unsure if the light is dispersing properly.

This:
http://www.elightbulbs.com/TCP-14680...ent-Light-Bulb

Plus this:
http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/ui...mp%20light.jpg

And here's my tank:
http://sdrv.ms/YaOR0u
guacadoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #170
zippymuffin

I am also a newbie and would be really grateful for some lighting related advice.
I have a 80 gallon tank, the dimensions are 48"x20"x20". The distance from the bulbs to the water surface is 4 inches. The tank is fitted with a hood so there is no room to rise the bulbs to a higher level. I bought 5 osram 54w t5HO fluorescent bulbs but after I read this thread (and 2 others) I think I may have gone over the top.
So i guess my question is: If i won't use any reflectors-only white paint- could I use all 5 bulbs without having excessive light?

Ps: I would like to grow carpet plants and some reds

Last edited by zippymuffin; 04-09-2013 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Ps
zippymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #171
rhodesengr
Algae Grower

So if I am reading the data right, it looks like the Home Depot 23 watt screw in bulbs pretty much blow everything away especially if you figure in the cost. They are well above 100 PAR at 17.5 inches. None of the plotted LED lights do that and only some of the very expensive CFL lights do better.

Is that right?

Hoppy: can you be more specific about the bulb and the the reflector? Links on HD please?
rhodesengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #172
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
So if I am reading the data right, it looks like the Home Depot 23 watt screw in bulbs pretty much blow everything away especially if you figure in the cost. They are well above 100 PAR at 17.5 inches. None of the plotted LED lights do that and only some of the very expensive CFL lights do better.

Is that right?

Hoppy: can you be more specific about the bulb and the the reflector? Links on HD please?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1003545...specifications is the reflector, and the bulbs are just 6500K screw-in CFL bulbs. You do need to have them about every 12 inches over the length of the tank, to get reasonably uniform light.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #173
rhodesengr
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1003545...specifications is the reflector, and the bulbs are just 6500K screw-in CFL bulbs. You do need to have them about every 12 inches over the length of the tank, to get reasonably uniform light.
so are the measurements from the bottom of the reflector or where the bulb is located. The reflector move the bulb up a ways.

I do get you need to space them across the tank but this seems like a really cheap way to to get a big increase over a single AH supply 55 watt. Is that right or am I misreading the data?

Does not seem like you can get anywhere near the same light with LED's.
rhodesengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #174
TigerBarb75

Default 31 " Tall tank

Good day,

All this is german to me I currently have 2 x 8000k t5 54w with Juwel Aquarium reflectors. And 1 x 6500k t5 54w My tank dimensions are
66 long x 21 w x 31 h I am not using pressurized c02 is this lighting sufficient for my plants to grow decent. I am getting good growth though just want to know if I need more light. Maybe another 8000k t5 54w or anothet 6500k t5 54w.

This is a medium planted freshwater tank.

Is the Par rating fine with these tubes.

This tank is about 180 gallons.

Please advise.

Thanks a mil.
TigerBarb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #175
Rigio
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafi View Post
what are you thoughts on this lighting fixture Hoppy http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl...+4x54W%29.html

PS the issue with the Catalina ones, are I am not sure they ship to Canada and if they do, im sure it would be ridiculous

I just read your comments, and I was wondering I'd you've contacted catalina to inquire about shipping as I've been interested in their products for awhile but haven't followed up as I don't have the money yet
Rigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #176
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
so are the measurements from the bottom of the reflector or where the bulb is located. The reflector move the bulb up a ways.

I do get you need to space them across the tank but this seems like a really cheap way to to get a big increase over a single AH supply 55 watt. Is that right or am I misreading the data?

Does not seem like you can get anywhere near the same light with LED's.
In general, measure from the bulb, but these charts are only approximate, so unless the bulb is 2+ inches from the reflector edge it won't make much difference whether you use the edge of the reflector or the bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBarb75 View Post
Good day,

All this is german to me I currently have 2 x 8000k t5 54w with Juwel Aquarium reflectors. And 1 x 6500k t5 54w My tank dimensions are
66 long x 21 w x 31 h I am not using pressurized c02 is this lighting sufficient for my plants to grow decent. I am getting good growth though just want to know if I need more light. Maybe another 8000k t5 54w or anothet 6500k t5 54w.

This is a medium planted freshwater tank.

Is the Par rating fine with these tubes.

This tank is about 180 gallons.

Please advise.

Thanks a mil.
The color temperature of the bulb doesn't have much effect on the PAR you get from each bulb. It affects how the tank looks, so that is a personal choice. How much light intensity you get depends on how the bulbs are arranged above the tank. They are about 20 inches shorter than the tank length, to start with, and the tank has too great a front to back depth for one row of bulbs to light it uniformly front to back, so you would want 2 rows of bulbs, but that would leave the ends darker than the center. How are the bulbs arranged?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #177
zippymuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippymuffin View Post
I am also a newbie and would be really grateful for some lighting related advice.
I have a 80 gallon tank, the dimensions are 48"x20"x20". The distance from the bulbs to the water surface is 4 inches. The tank is fitted with a hood so there is no room to rise the bulbs to a higher level. I bought 5 osram 54w t5HO fluorescent bulbs but after I read this thread (and 2 others) I think I may have gone over the top.
So i guess my question is: If i won't use any reflectors-only white paint- could I use all 5 bulbs without having excessive light?

Ps: I would like to grow carpet plants and some reds
Because i got no advice, I left the hood bare for now, with no reflectors at all. It's a new setup, so I only light 2 bulbs at a time and I will gradually increase the amount of light by turning on more bulbs. The light diffuses evenly across the tank even without reflectors...but will this be enough?
I can't calculate the amount of PAR because -if I understood correctly-the charts only show the light fixtures with the reflectors already installed.
zippymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #178
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry for the long delay, but that's what many people have complained about. LEDs with 660ns (red) lights tend to have a higher red hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankRookie View Post

Are you suggesting that the available red light in the finnex ray 2 daylight LED isn't enough for red plants?
veryzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #179
KrystyonWayne24
Algae Grower

ok I am new here and trying to be cheap and also trying to understand the lighting stuff.
I have 75gal 48"X18X20 that I am wanting to grow medium/low light plants. I am not sure I understand this right but I am planning on using CFL bulbs and 10.5 or 8.5 clamp lights. For me to get around 40-45par I think is what I need I would need 2 10.5 with say 13/60w CFLs in them or would that be enought or should go with the 8.5's and go with 4 and the 13w CFLs? Please help
KrystyonWayne24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #180
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystyonWayne24 View Post
ok I am new here and trying to be cheap and also trying to understand the lighting stuff.
I have 75gal 48"X18X20 that I am wanting to grow medium/low light plants. I am not sure I understand this right but I am planning on using CFL bulbs and 10.5 or 8.5 clamp lights. For me to get around 40-45par I think is what I need I would need 2 10.5 with say 13/60w CFLs in them or would that be enought or should go with the 8.5's and go with 4 and the 13w CFLs? Please help
It will be hard to get uniform light on a 75 gallon tank, using those dome reflectors. They tend to light up an area just a bit bigger than the dome diameter. If you use the 10.5 inch diameter dome reflectors you would need 4 of them across the length of the tank to stand a chance of getting uniform lighting. They need to be at least an inch above the top of the tank to allow for air circulation to cool the bulbs, so the lights would be about 21 inches from the substrate if you use 2 inches of substrate. At that distance I suspect you will need at least 20 watt and probably 25 watt CFL bulbs, not 13 watt, which are good for 10 gallon tanks. It might be cheaper to use a Odyssea 2 bulb T5HO light, suspended about 6 inches above the top of the tank.