Anyone into car detailing?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Anyone into car detailing?

I've had my fair share of cars and have done a fair bit of detailing back in the day but in retrospect, most were new or 2-3 year old cars with finishes in fairly good condition.

In the process of restoring a 20+ year old car and have completed all the mechanical and suspension bits to good form and soon turn will focus on the exterior.

Does anyone use a DA polisher? Are there any highly recommended? I have used a Porter cable 7424 but cant say how it compares to any others.

I traditionally used a cutting pad with light compound, finer one for polishes then hand wax. Also does anyone use more than two pads as there are numerous kits available today with 4-5 pads included?

Ive used compound/polishes/waxes from Meguiars, mothers, P21s and sealants from Klasse. Anything better out there or should i be sticking with the tried and true?

Lastly, is it even necessary to clay the car if you are going to take a polisher to it?

The weather is warming up and im planning to get this detail thing going soon.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

do a google search for oakes detailing. you should be able to find some write ups from him. he's a buddy of mine and an insane detailer http://www.oakesdetail.com https://www.facebook.com/OakesDetail
Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Try asking here:

http://forums.thecarlounge.net/forumdisplay.php?24
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)
Default Re: Anyone into car detailing?

Detailing car is another one of my side business haha. Anyways I can try and answer a few of these questions for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
I've had my fair share of cars and have done a fair bit of detailing back in the day but in retrospect, most were new or 2-3 year old cars with finishes in fairly good condition.

In the process of restoring a 20+ year old car and have completed all the mechanical and suspension bits to good form and soon turn will focus on the exterior.

Does anyone use a DA polisher? Are there any highly recommended? I have used a Porter cable 7424 but cant say how it compares to any others.

When I started I used a portercable 7424.
Then I started getting more clients I upgraded to a Flex. And it blows the PC out of the water. I can polish car faster and down to a nicer shinny then my PC could ever do. Now I use the PC with a 4" pad for all the small spots. So it all depends how detailed you want to go.

I traditionally used a cutting pad with light compound, finer one for polishes then hand wax. Also does anyone use more than two pads as there are numerous kits available today with 4-5 pads included?

Some people go crazy and use all 5.
I honestly use two also and then hand sealant then hand wax. Unless a client want a full polish. Different stages 1-5 = add more pad for a better shine more time more money! Lol

Ive used compound/polishes/waxes from Meguiars, mothers, P21s and sealants from Klasse. Anything better out there or should i be sticking with the tried and true?

There is always something better it all really depends on how much money you want to spend. You can have the best product this week and come next summer there's something even better.

Lastly, is it even necessary to clay the car if you are going to take a polisher to it?

yes it is definitely necessary to clay before polishing. If you don't, say your pad picks up a tiny piece of rock inbed in your paint and now you polisher is going leave horrible swirl marks and worst scratches before you started. And basically you're working backwards now try to remove them.

The weather is warming up and im planning to get this detail thing going soon.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hope that helps!
I'm don't consider myself a Pro but I do have first hand experiences with many cars. haha.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Here's a sight I used to frequent before changing obsessions to a planted tank.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/forum.php
Jeff5614 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
swissian
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
do a google search for oakes detailing. you should be able to find some write ups from him. he's a buddy of mine and an insane detailer http://www.oakesdetail.com https://www.facebook.com/OakesDetail
Wow! It is nice to see that this guy is in West Chester. I may have to visit next time I am there!
swissian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

wow, thanks for the feedback all. more reading to do!

I used to spend an entire day detailing a car and now need to get a decent job done in less time...
Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

I have owned a detail/tint shop for the past 15 years and a good starting point would be to visit the forum that Jeff recommended. It has lots of helpful hints for reconditioning paint.

I'm assuming the car your working on has the original paint which is going to be a single stage paint that will require more work than today's base coat/clearcoat finishes. As h4n mentioned it is a good idea to clay bar the car before doing any buffing/polishing to remove any contaminants as to avoid making more work for yourself by rubbing these in with your buffer. Take you time and work a small area at a time as these older single stage finishes can be real easy to burn through.

Take some time and look through some of the posts on autotopia and you will find lots of helpful info. By the way what kind of car are you working on?
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
Pdxbmwguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Anyone into car detailing?

+1 on the clay bar. Works great on my old cars.
Pdxbmwguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I learned quite a bit following this guy's videos plus he's entertaining

http://www.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.