20L - Ideas Very Welcome
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
dlanderson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20L - Ideas Very Welcome

I was hoping some of you could weigh in on my 20L tank. Community setup with a variety of plants. There are a few flat stones that I placed in hoping they would give some horizontal lines. I am very open to suggestions. My sincere apologies for the poor cell phone camera. Thanks for taking a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20L.4.15.13.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	126681  

dlanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Farmer
Planted Member

Certainly has potential. How old is the tank and what are your goals? Perhaps a few more details about your setup would be handy too.

I think you could move a few things and get a better look. But it depends what you want to do.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

IDK, looks like you have done a good job. I am not a huge fan of having too many types of plants though, but that is just me.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
I am not a huge fan of having too many types of plants though, but that is just me.
good point

ive been using that same mindset for my setups, for the smaller tanks, 2-3 species of plants and for a bit larger tank 4-6ish

some consistency and some diversity all at the same time

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Like Farmer said what are your goals for this tank?

Defstatic and hambone touched on having only a few species of plants which I agree on somewhat.

To me your tank seems to busy. Do you have another tank to put some of the plants in? What I would suggest is to come up with what plants you really want in this tank, such as background plants, shorter plants for the front and then plant them and slowly add in more plants.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
dlanderson
Algae Grower

The tank has some age to it. It has been going for about 2 years but the current setup is about a month old. I can understand what many of you are saying about having less species. I'm trying to get something along the lines of a 'Dutch' setup as my fiance likes some color in the tank.

I know I'll get some feedback for saying this but I'm running over 50w of t5HO over this tank with no CO2. I'm using the PPS dosing method and have not seen any algae issues yet. Dosing excel at the recommended rate but only every couple days. I am hoping to move to pressurized before too long but for not this is a bit of an experiment.

For plants I do like the Limnophila indica in the back and would like to keep the lotus along with a crypt species or two but I'm pretty open after that. The left side seems very jammed and while I like the balance of the red Ludwigia peruensis on the left I think it is too much. The current list of species is as follows:

Ludwigia peruensis
Lotus sp.
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Limnophila indica
Anubia nana
Parviflorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
Limnophila hippuroides
Echinodorus 'Oriental'

I guess I got a little carried away with the species but I'm also in the process of figuring out what will live in this tank so that I can know better once I get the 75+ gallon that I would like in the next year or two.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanderson View Post
The tank has some age to it. It has been going for about 2 years but the current setup is about a month old. I can understand what many of you are saying about having less species. I'm trying to get something along the lines of a 'Dutch' setup as my fiance likes some color in the tank.
I have no problem with all the species and I like having lots as long as that's the look you are going for. Dutch style tanks look amazing.

Quote:
For plants I do like the Limnophila indica in the back and would like to keep the lotus along with a crypt species or two but I'm pretty open after that. The left side seems very jammed and while I like the balance of the red Ludwigia peruensis on the left I think it is too much. The current list of species is as follows:

Ludwigia peruensis
Lotus sp.
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Limnophila indica
Anubia nana
Parviflorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
Limnophila hippuroides
Echinodorus 'Oriental'

I guess I got a little carried away with the species but I'm also in the process of figuring out what will live in this tank so that I can know better once I get the 75+ gallon that I would like in the next year or two.

Thank you all for your replies.
I really have little idea of plants by name. But I can tell the ones I would change.

Unfortunately the first on I would remove is the lotus. Not because I don't like it. I love them but it doesn't do anything for your tank as it is. Maybe you could grow a stem plant below/in front of it so you can only see the leaves.

I'd get rid of the swords. They don't fit the dutch style IMO. The crypts don't really either but maybe with the other dense stem plants it will work.

Lindsay
Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
dlanderson
Algae Grower

The more I look at the Dutch style the more I like the color but the less I like the fact that it is all stem plants. I was wondering if anyone could point out some examples where color is used but where it isn't so strict as to only use stem plants. I have an affinity for the lotus and crypts, mostly because they are extremely easy.

Does anyone have much experience with color under non-CO2 conditions? As I stated earlier I would like to move to CO2 when I get a bigger tank but for now am trying to get by without as I will be moving, etc this summer.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I have a crypt only with a few stems tank check my sig. The last couple pictures have a couple pots in it that I'm farming out but you can get the gist of the idea. I went for a rocky slope with lots of crypts as my foreground, background, and mid ground. Type in Cryptocoryne only tank and you can get some ideas of what to do with it. (Even if you don't go all crypts it will help to arrange them.) with your current set up I think putting the lotus farther to the right and then rearranging your stems to get the taller ones in either corner with a slope down towards the middle would look cool. Then use your crypts as more of a midgroundish. It might be worth your while to look into getting a few more smaller crypt varieties and a few less stems. But it's up to you. My suggestions would be C. Nevillii and then make your wood a more central focal point. It's kinda being drowned out by the plant mass.
Good luck my friend!
Pianofish
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanderson View Post
The more I look at the Dutch style the more I like the color but the less I like the fact that it is all stem plants. I was wondering if anyone could point out some examples where color is used but where it isn't so strict as to only use stem plants. I have an affinity for the lotus and crypts, mostly because they are extremely easy.

Does anyone have much experience with color under non-CO2 conditions? As I stated earlier I would like to move to CO2 when I get a bigger tank but for now am trying to get by without as I will be moving, etc this summer.
I saw a great tank last night that would have fit your description. Wish I had saved the pic. It had mainly crypts and swords with some java fern too.

Here is a thread I am looking at now. It's a very low tech tank but one of the best I've seen. The coloured plants are amazing.

Here too. Love some of those.

Linds
Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

While I prefer regional Bio-Types Aquascapes for my own tanks, I feel the Dutch style is the true test of one's Aquatic gardening skills. Here's a decent link on the Dutch style: http://www.aqcenter.net/topic/1619-dutch-aquarium/

I remember reading there were some 'rules' for setting up the Dutch tank. There is a proper number of sp. of plants per size of the tank. No hard scape. 3 sp. of fish Max. High, Mid & Low level swimmers. The plants most often seen in the best tanks are CO2 dependent. I think if one like the style they should go for it making the total commitment.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote