Help! Angelfish inflamed gills labored breathing - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

This morning, he looks a bit better. Still breathing hard, but actually swimming. I have one more dose of quick cure that i will do tonight. I just want him to start eating again. Not even his favorite bloodworms would entice a bite

Besides melafix, If the quick cure doesnt work, i may try methylene blue. It supposedly can take care of bacterial infections in addition to helping the water hold o2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #17
flwrbed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Im glad to here things are looking up.

If it were my tank i would do some more water changes. It is amazing what they can do for a unhappy fish. I would not treat for other things unless you know that is what is causing the problem. Meds are not good for fish. They cause stress. If it was bacteria i think you would see it. If you can keep your water around 82 deg. and do a follow up treatment in 5-7 days, I think you may have it licked.

Quick Cure contains Malachite Green. Watch you bio filter, could effect that.

FLWR
Nicon Pimp Club Member #28
flwrbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
bsherwood
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Same issue a year or so ago

my 120 planted- had 6 angels and a pile of Rummy nose Tetras...

Angels started breathing heavy, enflamed gills... all parameters were fine...did my water changes ... but I lost all 6 of my adults within the course of three days...massive die off and I never did figure out what was up...

I let the tank rest for about 6 weeks...and re-stocked...I now have a couple breeder pair that are quite happy and laying every 10 days or so...
29 planted
10 planted
bsherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwrbed View Post
Im glad to here things are looking up.

If it were my tank i would do some more water changes. It is amazing what they can do for a unhappy fish. I would not treat for other things unless you know that is what is causing the problem. Meds are not good for fish. They cause stress. If it was bacteria i think you would see it. If you can keep your water around 82 deg. and do a follow up treatment in 5-7 days, I think you may have it licked.

Quick Cure contains Malachite Green. Watch you bio filter, could effect that.

FLWR
up them water changes.. !! do they for a week str8.. best thing to help fish heal is super clean water.

ps.. some one else posted.. methalyne(sp?) is what you want for fungus
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

I definitely did 3 water changes over the last week and kept dosing with quick cure to no avail. I woke up this morning and he is not good. I still have no idea what it is.

I order melafix this morning as a last ditch effort. Who knows........ I am extremely saddened to lose him. He has been a great pet.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #21
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

well.. after thinking he was doing better... he died this morning. His name was Thor.... I do not think in the 10 years i have kept fish i have ever been this sad

I pulled him out, did a bit of an external examination on him and do not see anything physically wrong with him or his gills. I got him when he was about 6 months old and have had him for a year and a half.. so he was at least 2.

I still have no idea what happened in the tank. The rest of his tank mates have been perfectly healthy and eating.

For anyone who keeps angels, it was pretty sad to see over the last few days the concern that his largest tank mate, aptly named Odin, had for him as he struggled. It was awesome to see how they interacted with each other. Having two male angels that are raised together, get along for their entire lives is something to see. RIP buddy
Old 04-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #22
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default Help! Angelfish inflamed gills labored breathing

Pictures?

What color were the gills, bright red? Gray?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #23
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Default Help! Angelfish inflamed gills labored breathing

There was no discoloration at all which is why I am baffled. They were light pink.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is maybe he developed a tumor or an internal growth. He was a big boy (largest I have ever had), and maybe I didn't notice.

I even had my gf who is a marine biologist look at him right after removal from the tank (he could have only been dead for 5 hours) and she also agreed that he had no obvious external issues.

Btw for there names, he was a blue angel (Thor) and his BFF is a large altum fluorescent colored male (Odin)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #24
flwrbed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Well, im very sorry to hear of your loss. Hope all else is well in the tank and you have no more issues.

Sounds like you gave it a good effort.

FLWR
Nicon Pimp Club Member #28
flwrbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #25
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

sorry to hear he died, I have a similar situation in how much my angelfish has become more than just a fish in my tank, it'll be a sad day when he dies, I hope you get Odin another buddy, I bet after being with another male angel so long he'd be able to do well with another, maybe like cats and dogs, raise them together and they will always be able to tolerate one another

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote