dwarf puffers....anyone?????
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
steve420
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

dwarf puffers....anyone?????

Hi all,

I'm looking for some dwarf puffer for one of my 10g. Id like to get 3-5 in there but having.g no luck finding any. So if you have any leads around the NW burbs....that would be awesome.

I am willing to pay for shipping too.....just in case anyone is in southern IL (definitely don't want to make that drive Haha)

Thanks
Steve
steve420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default dwarf puffers....anyone?????

Old orchard had around 20 of em back two weeks ago, can't speak for now but worth a call

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

aquatic adventure usually has them, fish planet in deerfield will special order them for you. even petco will special oder but the will charge insane prices.

I have 11 of them welcome to dp land!

I would only keep 3 in 10 gallon, but thats me.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
steve420
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
aquatic adventure usually has them, fish planet in deerfield will special order them for you. even petco will special oder but the will charge insane prices.

I have 11 of them welcome to dp land!

I would only keep 3 in 10 gallon, but thats me.
I'll take your word....if 3 is a good number then 3 it is! But I was just at AA like 3 days ago....did I miss the puffer tank? And I'm gonna plant the heck outta my tank......is three still the right number?

And I had a friend that worked at AA.....he always told me he would order me anything I wanted.....too bad he is not still there.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default dwarf puffers....anyone?????

Rule of thumb was 1 for every 5 gallons

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is easy to miss the dp tank, you really have to ask. last time they were by the corydoras

full answer is 5 gallons for the first puffer and 3 gallons for each additional, but I really question this. This is for aggression purposes only, as far as I can tell.

After watching mine, and watching the males fight here is what I think. My opinion not fact.

you could keep 10 females in a 10 gallon with no problems ever
2 females and one male would be better than 1f and 1 m, less harassing of each female
if there is a female in the tank and there are more than 1 male then the weaker male will probably suffer. especially in a smaller tank

females ignore each other for the most part
immature puffers like to hang out together
mature males fight violently.
they don't have a territory that I can tell, it is all about having enough stuff in the tank for the weaker one to get away.
males will follow females all over the tank trying to put the moves on her.
well fed puffers seem less nippy towards one another.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

i saw 'em at the Aquarium Adventure in Hoffman Estates, about a month ago - they were in a tank facing the back wall, on the left as you walk back, almost as you get to the saltwater section.

I think I also remember them at the Living Sea in Park Ridge about 3 weeks ago... right when you walk in (middle section of the store) - to the left of their front plant tank (not their main plant tank).
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It is easy to miss the dp tank, you really have to ask. last time they were by the corydoras

full answer is 5 gallons for the first puffer and 3 gallons for each additional, but I really question this. This is for aggression purposes only, as far as I can tell.

After watching mine, and watching the males fight here is what I think. My opinion not fact.

you could keep 10 females in a 10 gallon with no problems ever
2 females and one male would be better than 1f and 1 m, less harassing of each female
if there is a female in the tank and there are more than 1 male then the weaker male will probably suffer. especially in a smaller tank

females ignore each other for the most part
immature puffers like to hang out together
mature males fight violently.
they don't have a territory that I can tell, it is all about having enough stuff in the tank for the weaker one to get away.
males will follow females all over the tank trying to put the moves on her.
well fed puffers seem less nippy towards one another.
I appreciate the insight on your personal experiences with dwarf puffers as im looking to set up a tank for them in the near future

how does one go about sexing these guys?

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

seems to be confusing as juvies, which is all I have ever seen offered for sale. couple things to look for though.

males usually have a wrinkled pattern behind their eyes. they look like fine blue lines and do resemble wrinkles. they also develop a stripe along their belly although this really comes into play as they mature.

they are also less "round" and more torpedo shaped as they mature.

females-more round and no wrinkles

from all i've read and experienced the best and probably only practical thing to do is get a group and as they mature select the ones you want to keep and sell the rest.

with my tank I have at least 4 mature males. they fight, they swim away, they hide, no real issues because they have a mess of plants and a big enough area nothing gets too serious.

In a small tank I could see real problems occurring. the fighting among the males is not gentle play--they can be pretty viscous.

just my OPINION based on EXPERIENCE. not FACT

when i rescape my tank I will increase their number to at least 20 if not 25. we will see....
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't pretend to know anything about these fish (though this thread has piqued my interest and now I'm reading about them).

I found this on wikipedia;
Quote:
Sexing of juveniles is impossible because these fish "choose" their sex as they mature. Once one puffer begins male he excretes hormones to prevent the other puffers from becoming male. However, if two fish start to mature into males at the same time one will become the dominant male.There is also a dorsal crest, but it lacks special colouration when not erected. Both crests are displayed during courtship while the male circles the female. They also will have more yellow colouration.

Both sexes are primarily yellow with dark green to black iridescent patches on the flanks and dorsal surface, but as with other members of the genus, sexual dimorphism is apparent in mature fish, with males being more brightly coloured than females.[2] Males can also have a dark stripe down the center of their pale belly and iridescent "eye wrinkle" patterns that females do not have. Females are more rounded, tend to be a bit larger than males, and may or may not show more smallish spots between their larger dark markings.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
seems to be confusing as juvies, which is all I have ever seen offered for sale. couple things to look for though.

males usually have a wrinkled pattern behind their eyes. they look like fine blue lines and do resemble wrinkles. they also develop a stripe along their belly although this really comes into play as they mature.

they are also less "round" and more torpedo shaped as they mature.

females-more round and no wrinkles

from all i've read and experienced the best and probably only practical thing to do is get a group and as they mature select the ones you want to keep and sell the rest.

with my tank I have at least 4 mature males. they fight, they swim away, they hide, no real issues because they have a mess of plants and a big enough area nothing gets too serious.

In a small tank I could see real problems occurring. the fighting among the males is not gentle play--they can be pretty viscous.

just my OPINION based on EXPERIENCE. not FACT

when i rescape my tank I will increase their number to at least 20 if not 25. we will see....
thanks for the sexing info

furthermore your experiences "are" based on facts!

they just aren't universally know

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
steve420
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info guys......this is all good stuff.

I'll swing by AA a little later and check to see if they have any Puffers in stock. Unless things have changed, I believe that they get new stock in on wednesdays so it might be a good time to swing on by.

I've read that sexing them is super difficult when they are juvies. I have an extra empty 10g just collecting dust in my closet....so worse case scenario, I get a 3-5, see how they interact, and separate if there is aggression. (Wait a min....setting up a new tank??? Is that worse case scenario, or is that BEST case scenario! )

@dprais1 - What size tank do you have your Puffers in? Having 20+ puffers in a tank would be awesome. I've never kept them before, but from what I have heard they are super personable fish and a lot of fun to watch. And just curious...where did you get yours from? Did you order them or find somewhere local?

Last edited by steve420; 04-17-2013 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: added question
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

best case. dp are really lots of fun. even if they never "puff up".

I feed mine mainly white worms.

I always have enough to start a culture for local dp keepers that want to swing by and get a culture going. nudge nudge say no more

takes about 5 weeks to get a culture really going--about the same time to cycle a tank
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I feed mine mainly white worms.

I always have enough to start a culture for local dp keepers that want to swing by and get a culture going. nudge nudge say no more

takes about 5 weeks to get a culture really going--about the same time to cycle a tank
might take you up on that down the road but im working on a heavy "culture" of pond snails for some puffer food as we speak!

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know if they are really personable per se. they are cute little fish and swim kind of funny and slow. but they all pretty much do the same thing.

a bit of anthropomorphism if you ask me. I got most of mine from AA.

males develop strong yellow fins but I have one that has more of orange fins

having 20 in my 75 gallon has been my goal for a while.

problems though...
-as adults they don't school so I have a lot of tiny fish swimming around my tank doing their own thing
--scale, even from 10' away I just have some pale yellow fish in a big tank
---I am of the opinion you either have a dwarf puffer tank or you don't (other fish aren't safe, my rcs population is dwindling...)
----my wife thinks they are boring, cute but boring

What I really need is a basement and have a tank set up just for puffers and another tank with 'pretty' fish for the family.

But that won't be for a while.

my first batch was 12 puffers special ordered. all looked great in the bag, acclimated to my tank over 15 minutes. a few days later all were dead except one.

next batch were from AA, 10 of them. slow acclimation over 30 minutes. all still kickin months later.

If anyone is interested I decided, with the wifes urging, to go ahead and do rainbow fish instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.