DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me - Page 35
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #511
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genocdex View Post
edit:
i saw you offered to calibrate another member's par meter, is that an open offer? when i build mine would you be willing to do the same for me?
Sorry, I'm busy with other projects and won't have time to calibrate your meter. Set the resistor to 24.7K and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
What light source are you all calibrating to?
A regular white spiral bulb.

And use the smallest guage wire you can find. I'm using an ethernet cable. There are lots of variables if you use different materials so that's why having a PAR meter to calibrate against is good.

I'm getting PMs from science people who aren't even in planted tanks wanting to measure sunlight for their tomato plants I think it works even better for sunlight since light bulbs are so varied and low in output compared to the sun.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #512
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Sorry, I'm busy with other projects and won't have time to calibrate your meter. Set the resistor to 24.7K and hope for the best.


A regular white spiral bulb.

And use the smallest guage wire you can find. I'm using an ethernet cable. There are lots of variables if you use different materials so that's why having a PAR meter to calibrate against is good.

I'm getting PMs from science people who aren't even in planted tanks wanting to measure sunlight for their tomato plants I think it works even better for sunlight since light bulbs are so varied and low in output compared to the sun.
I stumbled onto this a few days ago: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/apo...l-information/ The Quantum PAR meter isn't perfect either. Unless a PAR meter is made with multiple photodiodes, each measuring a portion of the spectrum, the meter will have various errors when measuring light from different sources. For the Quantum meter, it is pretty accurate with typical fluorescent aquarium lighting, but not that accurate with sunlight.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #513
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I stumbled onto this a few days ago: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/apo...l-information/ The Quantum PAR meter isn't perfect either. Unless a PAR meter is made with multiple photodiodes, each measuring a portion of the spectrum, the meter will have various errors when measuring light from different sources. For the Quantum meter, it is pretty accurate with typical fluorescent aquarium lighting, but not that accurate with sunlight.
yup, you have to ask apogee to calibrate your sensor for indoor or outdoor light. There's a 10% difference.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #514
genocdex
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 168
Default

i was wondering why you used a photodiode vs a phototransistor? i was looking threw products and it looks like this one:
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...9988#tab=specs
has an very similar responce to wavelengths as the graph in your first post, its a bit cheaper too...

Last edited by genocdex; 04-14-2013 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: edited for price correction
genocdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #515
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

Quote:
Originally Posted by genocdex View Post
i was wondering why you used a photodiode vs a phototransistor? i was looking threw products and it looks like this one:
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...9988#tab=specs
has an very similar responce to wavelengths as the graph in your first post, its a bit cheaper too...

Phototransistor output is usually too small in term of resolution to have it be meaningful. The spectral response for the transistor you showed is similar but not quite.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #516
AlanLe
Gurus Master
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 795
Default

Hi you guys still selling these? I would love to buy one. Thanks
AlanLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #517
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
Hi you guys still selling these? I would love to buy one. Thanks
Yeah, will be making some this weekend.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #518
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,245
Default

Are you calibrating these prior to shipment? Looking at similar data from others, mine seems to be reading at least double sometimes triple what would be expected. Any ideas?
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #519
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Are you calibrating these prior to shipment? Looking at similar data from others, mine seems to be reading at least double sometimes triple what would be expected. Any ideas?
It is matched to an apogee sensor. If you feel the readings are too high, you can adjust it by fiddling with the pot (blue thingy), counter clockwise to bring down the reading.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #520
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
It is matched to an apogee sensor. If you feel the readings are too high, you can adjust it by fiddling with the pot (blue thingy), counter clockwise to bring down the reading.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Can you walk me through your calibration process? There is another guy in my local club that bought one too and is having similar issues. It almost seems like you calibrated to a low data value and the error just gets larger the farther we go towards the high end. I also noticed that outside it is invariably reading 1391 no matter what. Please advise.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #521
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

I match reading again a spiral cf ranging from 160 - 50 par by varying distance.

Your 1300 par reading sounds right. The par is calibrated for indoor light. It's the beginning of spring. You should get 1800-2000 at noon around July, remember the earth is on an axis.


I'll try a different light source next round just to make sure. I have a feeling it's slightly high but x2 or x3 is too much. Again, if you feel it's too much, change the pot to your liking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #522
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru
 
shrimpNewbie's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: california, orange county
Posts: 1,891
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

Used one of your DIY par meters I'm impressed, I hope I used it correctly, flat end towards the light right? Put my light at about 116-130 par at 40"
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #523
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I match reading again a spiral cf ranging from 160 - 50 par by varying distance.

Your 1300 par reading sounds right. The par is calibrated for indoor light. It's the beginning of spring. You should get 1800-2000 at noon around July, remember the earth is on an axis.


I'll try a different light source next round just to make sure. I have a feeling it's slightly high but x2 or x3 is too much. Again, if you feel it's too much, change the pot to your liking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
This meter pegs out at 1391 no matter how bright it is outside. Readings are two to three times greater than what a real par meter is showing me. Buyer beware, this meter is not legit. Sorry bro, I gave you a chance to come correct and you failed.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #524
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
This meter pegs out at 1391 no matter how bright it is outside. Readings are two to three times greater than what a real par meter is showing me. Buyer beware, this meter is not legit. Sorry bro, I gave you a chance to come correct and you failed.
Sure, people should get all the info before they buy. I'll make some today and see if your problem is showing up.

What par meter are You using btw and how old is it?
What is the reading from the par meter to sunlight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #525
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 13,896
Default DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me

Just did a quick apogee par sensor reading

At 4/21/13 - 11:30am, sunny slight cloud
1415 par
Sound right huh. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

I seem to misplaced my photodiodes.. Hope I didn't throw away $50 worth of photodiodes.... I did find one
I can use to test.

*** I might have used up all of the photodiodes last time... Buying more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by mistergreen; 04-21-2013 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: ***
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012