DIY External Heater (56k!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Snazzy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

DIY External Heater (56k!)

Created by: Snazzy

DIY External Heater

Please do not post this anywhere else without my permission!

Materials:

1. 1- 1½” Elbow
2. 1- 1½” Tee
3. 2- 1½” to ¾” (You can reduce to any size threaded or slip, depending on your application)
4. 1- 1½” to 1” threaded
5. 1- Heyco Product #8437 (Watertight Cordgrip) (Can be order FREE at http://ecommerce.heyco.com/dev/newsa...ample?OpenForm )
6. 1- 7” Long 1½” Pipe (As long as the heater doesn’t sickout of the pipe when you hook up everything but the elbow at the end)
7. Pipe Cleaner/Primer (Not necessary but recommended)
8. Pipe Glue
9. Teflon Tape
10. Eheim Jager 150W Heater

Steps
1. After you obtain the materials and cut the pipe you ready to assemble.

2. Put Pipe Cleaner on all the slip joints, and put Teflon Tape onto all male ended threads.
3. Tighten the threaded joints before you glue, or after the glue is COMPLETELY dried so you don’t weaken joints.
4. After cleaner dries, one joint at a time use the Pipe Glue to attach each fitting.

*Picture not glued, or primed*

5. Attach the heater to the Cordgrip. (Hand tighten ONLY)

Download as .Doc 4meg: http://gobstopers.info/DIY External Heater.doc

Last edited by Snazzy; 10-10-2006 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Link was Broken
Snazzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
TAF CAF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Interesting... I take it this will be in-line with a pump of some kind?

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
TAF CAF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Snazzy
Algae Grower

Yep! ill pipe it into my new 40br tank for my turtle once i finish the stand for it
Old 10-10-2006, 04:51 AM   #4
Nightshop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Nightshop

Wow, this is very inovative! I love it!

I'm sure you could tweak this deisgn to double it as a C02 reactor . . .
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

A few others have tried this, but I haven't heard lately how well they are working. For example: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...=inline+heater
If anyone has done this, how about an update?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
TAF CAF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I like your ideas Snazzy.

I am soon to be setting up a 70 gallon hex as kind of a show tank, and am very interested in keeping as little in equipment in the tank as possible.

You have inspired me to try it.

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
TAF CAF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
briandmiles
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Yeah, that's my thread. I did it and it works great. Some disadvantages to what I did versus this. 1) My heater is siliconed in and so cannot be easily replaced or serviced. 2)That's pretty much it. My biggest concern with using the watertight fitting is that I use one to keep my pH probe inline and it has a tendency to not be all that water tight. Especially if it gets bumped at all.

As far as performance goes I think having an inline heater housing is the best. I love not having to see it in the tank.

Brian
Eheim Pimp #134

Last edited by briandmiles; 07-12-2007 at 07:40 PM..
briandmiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Snazzy
Algae Grower

i forgot to say 1)that if you order the free samples you can order as many as you want...i ordered 10 of them so that if 1 fails i can swap it out 2)im wondering but is silicon greese ok for aquariums? if so you can put it around the little rubber seal inside the cordgrip
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 AM   #9
madman280
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I built a heater into my DIY CO2 reactor top. The reactor itself is made from scrap 4" PVC about 18" long I had left over from another job. The large diameter reduces the water flow inside and increases the dwell time at the heater. Plus its what I had

The bottom of the reactor is a 4" PVC cap the top is a 4" PVC cleanout that has a threaded cap for internal access. Everything was glued with PVC solvent cement. All glued joints were cleaned with PVC joint primer.

I drilled a hole in the center of the cleanout cap, threaded it and glued in the rubber compresion fitting that holds the glass heater. I sealed the glass heater into the compresion fitting with some silicone (not grease) sealant as extra insurance, before I carefully tightened it.

The inlet and outlet are electrical PVC 5/8 hose barbs (used for flexable plastic electrical conduit).

The inlet is glued into a drilled and threaded hole in the side of the cleanout fitting where it is thickest. The outlet is in the side of the cap in the bottom.

The CO2 inlet is a small lawn 1/8" sprinkler head and extention siliconed into a smaller rubber compression fitting. The compresion fitting is glued into a drilled and tapped hole in the cleanout 90 degrees from the inlet.

I filled the lower 1/2 of the reactor with 1" sections of 3/4 PVC electrical conduit left over from another job. (I figured the might help mix everything. It was free and cut up easily on my chop saw.) I picked everything I didn't already have on one trip to Home Depot.

I let it all dry for a week outside and flushed it with water with a garden hose for a 1/2 hour before I hooked it up.

It works great, no leaks, the tank stays warm and the plants are pearling. I unfortunatly don't have any pictures since its impossible to photograph under my show tank. I'll will be making another soon and will take some and post some then.

CJ
madman280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 03:53 AM   #10
Snazzy
Algae Grower

welp still its been a little while like to say no leaks and it still is working great! im thinking about using this tech to make a uv sterilizer? any ideas?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
welp still its been a little while like to say no leaks and it still is working great! im thinking about using this tech to make a uv sterilizer? any ideas?
I don't have a UV sterilizer myself, but aren't they designed to be plumbed in-line anyways? If I'm wrong, please forgive this dumb comment.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
slickwillislim
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim

I think he means DIY sterilizer. I am not sure about the effects of UV on certain plastics but I assume it would be fine. I haven't heard of one being created but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #13
FelixAvery
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

the uv filter at my work is basically just 8 60w uv tubes plumbed inline into the massive filter
Y.A.A - proud member!
Wabi-Kusa Guide
FelixAvery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
fishymatty
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

So I made this heater yesterday and when I put my nose up to the pvc I can still smell the glue. Does anybody know what the solubility of the glue is, if any?
Is there any other prep I need to take before I can run it inline with the tank. This is going in my discus tank so I will be very upset if something happens.
fishymatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
boasist
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Its smell fades, there is normally a "safe" 24 hour cure time, then flush it out with some water and hook it up!

Other than that, you are good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.