DIY Pressurized CO2 Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
kdv9tb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

DIY Pressurized CO2 Questions

Hello everyone!

I am starting to build my DIY Pressurized CO2 set-up and manifold and had questions I was hoping someone could help me with! First, let me list what I have, or is on its way...

Smith 2 stage regulator (CGA 320 adapter)
15 lb CO2 tank
7- Fabco NV-55 needle valves
Burkert 6011 soleniod
6- glass diffusers
1- DIY inline diffuser

Here are my questions:

1. What bubble counters do you all recommend? I would prefer ones that are on the manifold compaired to the tank or in line..)
2. No tape or pipe dope is recommended, so where would I get the seals or plastic washers to use for this?
3. Where in the world do I find 10/32 brass fittings for the manifold? Or could I size down to 1/8 for the tubing?

I am willing to travel to find what I need. I live in Houston, so if anyone has any local recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it! Any concerns with what I have going on, please let me know!

Thanks for the help,
Katie
kdv9tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdv9tb View Post
Hello everyone!

I am starting to build my DIY Pressurized CO2 set-up and manifold and had questions I was hoping someone could help me with! First, let me list what I have, or is on its way...

Smith 2 stage regulator (CGA 320 adapter)
15 lb CO2 tank
7- Fabco NV-55 needle valves
Burkert 6011 soleniod
6- glass diffusers
1- DIY inline diffuser
Seems like quite the setup you have planned.

Did you purchase the NV55 or the NV55-18? The former have small #10/32 adapters, and I would not recommend manifold mounting them (as they would require #10/32 to 1/8" NPT adapters) and the small #10/32 fitting would not be able to support the weight of the NV55.

Quote:
1. What bubble counters do you all recommend? I would prefer ones that are on the manifold compaired to the tank or in line..)
The JBJ or their respective knock offs are the manifold mountable ones. Most include a check valve, but the cheaper ones have a high(er) failure rate, so a check valve between them and the needle valves is highly recommended.

Quote:
2. No tape or pipe dope is recommended, so where would I get the seals or plastic washers to use for this?
I am not sure where you got this information from, but tape or pipe compound is recommended.

Quote:
3. Where in the world do I find 10/32 brass fittings for the manifold? Or could I size down to 1/8 for the tubing
Your local Fabco distributor should have them/be able to order them; as I mentioned you should run the needle valves inline, which would make the point of having a mountable bubble counter (mentioned above), moot.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I am not sure where you got this information from, but tape or pipe compound is recommended.
No pipe dope or tape should be used on the connector going between the regulator and the tank. I think that's what the OP is referring to.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
2. No tape or pipe dope is recommended, so where would I get the seals or
I put on the teflon tape and teflon washer/seal. I get the washer for free every time I go to Welco, my local CO2 distributor.
I just got back from Welco actually. $25 for a 20lbs tank swap.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
kdv9tb
Algae Grower

Yes, I was confused with the seals. I have on order a perma seal for between the tank and the regulator. That is the only seal I need, and for all the other connectors, use tape..?

I will have to keep looking for all the fittings! Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get pictures up of the set-up (As long as my baby get these teeth through and I can get some sleep)!

Does anyone have pictures of there own manifold so I have something to look at, or tips tricks for this?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
No pipe dope or tape should be used on the connector going between the regulator and the tank. I think that's what the OP is referring to.
Ahhh, OK, that makes sense then.

Quote:
Yes, I was confused with the seals. I have on order a perma seal for between the tank and the regulator. That is the only seal I need, and for all the other connectors, use tape..?
Correct; for the other connections, teflon tape or pipe compound is fine.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
kdv9tb
Algae Grower

I changed the plan a little bit. I decided to go with a 20lb tank. For $20 more, including shipping I got the 20lber. I know it may be overkill, but I am super busy chasing my now crawling daughter around, and do not have the time to refil a smaller tank more often!
Other than that, not much has progressed. I am STILL waiting for the needle valves. Without them, I can't really do much. I guess I will just have to keep liquid dosing, and hoping everything survives till I get the system built!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.