Brainstorming: Reclaiming the sludge fountain
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Shale87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Brainstorming: Reclaiming the sludge fountain

I've already got a few projects I'm working on, but does that stop me from planning a new one? Of course not! I'm probably in WAY over my head here, but that's why I need help!

I was taking my dog out yesterday and actually did more than just glance at the fountain. I stopped and looked at it. Then I took a few slow steps forward, held my breath, and peered into the murky water. I grimaced, shuddered, and dragged my dog away from that staph-infection-waiting-to-happen.

But just like a staph infection, the fountain festered in my brain. Was it doomed to be nothing more than an algae and mosquito breeding ground? Surely not!

I've seen pictures of fountains turned into planters - which I could do and would probably enjoy - but I'd really like to keep the water feature. Problem is, the usual way requires a ton of maintenance. I was wondering if there might be a way to turn it into a mini "pond" with plants keep the water clean (and possibly some tiny fish to eat any mosquito eggs?).

Here are some pictures to show you how gross this thing is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5016-small.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	126689

Name:	DSCN5017-small.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	126697

Top level

Name:	DSCN5020-small.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	126721

Bottom level

Name:	DSCN5021-small.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	126729

I'm guessing these tiny, white worms are mosquito larvae?

Name:	DSCN5019-small.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	126713

I forgot to measure it, so I'll try to do that tomorrow.

So, anyone have any ideas? Do you think it'd be possible to turn this into a minimal maintenance fountain?
Shale87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Roshan8768
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think you could pot several marginals like iris, lillies ,rushes, etc. and place the pots in the lower layer. You could also find a plant that you could place in the top level that would hang over the rim when fully grown.... like the plants you see in hanging baskets. I'm not too good with plant species, but I'm sure that somebody else will chip in with a suggestion on this. Also... if you have any other tanks with fish you have a lot of mosquito larvae that you could be feeding them at your fingertips lol. It doesn't look like the water is deep enough in either layer to conceivably hold fish, but dimensions would help people better visualize your fountain. I say go for it, it'll take some effort but its definitely got some potential!
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
I think you could pot several marginals like iris, lillies ,rushes, etc. and place the pots in the lower layer. You could also find a plant that you could place in the top level that would hang over the rim when fully grown.... like the plants you see in hanging baskets. I'm not too good with plant species, but I'm sure that somebody else will chip in with a suggestion on this. Also... if you have any other tanks with fish you have a lot of mosquito larvae that you could be feeding them at your fingertips lol. It doesn't look like the water is deep enough in either layer to conceivably hold fish, but dimensions would help people better visualize your fountain. I say go for it, it'll take some effort but its definitely got some potential!
For the top, you might want to try some aquatic creeping jenny. Roots int he water, and a lovely trailing effect. It's widely available.
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Rodneywt1180b
Algae Grower

Have you done anything with this yet? It's a great looking fountain and has the potential to be a real focal point in your garden.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Shale87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneywt1180b View Post
Have you done anything with this yet? It's a great looking fountain and has the potential to be a real focal point in your garden.
Rodney
My mom decided to sell it, so no. I think it could've ended up really nice though
Shale87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Rodneywt1180b
Algae Grower

That's too bad. I hope the new owner enjoys it.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.