Desperately Fighting Diatoms
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Desperately Fighting Diatoms

So in my quest to find a solution to this problem, i've heard suggestions of testing my water at saltwater shops, has anyone heard of them or what i can get to test my water for phosphates and silicates? Also has anyone had any luck eradicating/controlling them? If so how? Also my tanks are not new, and i would like to find a way other than buying otos or plecs. Please help i'm desperate.
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
taniner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)

would you mind posting a picture of your tank and maybe a close up shot of the problem?
taniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

sure thing i'll try to post some tomorrow
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
So in my quest to find a solution to this problem, i've heard suggestions of testing my water at saltwater shops, has anyone heard of them or what i can get to test my water for phosphates and silicates? Also has anyone had any luck eradicating/controlling them? If so how? Also my tanks are not new, and i would like to find a way other than buying otos or plecs. Please help i'm desperate.
Diatoms aka algae. Can be erraticated. Uv sterilizer, hydrogen peroxide, bleach, and so on. It all depends on which method you want proceed. I have many methods but I don't know your tank setup or what u have In your tank I have several methods to kill all algae. But it's also maintaining your tank and use distiller water or Ro water to do water change
daboss808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
Erirku
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Diatom algae as in brown dust algae? That stuff is one of the easiest algae to get rid of, but tedious work involved. Try making sure you have good water flow in your tank. Then meticulously clean, gravel vac, scrub, brush plants everyday! It should be gone in a week or so. It does take time to clean but you will appreciate your tank more! hope that helps.
Erirku is offline   Reply With Quote