Power supply options for LED
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
raesunrae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Power supply options for LED

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I would need to connect a power supply to these LED rigid strips?

Ebay Item number:280942192300
raesunrae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hope you're not planning on those for any kind of plants and just ambient lighting as they're not plant capable really, just accent light.

As for power, an average LED draws 20ma, x 36 LED's x 3 stripes ~= 2.1amp@12v, so a 12v power supply from an old cordless phone, electronic, etc, at around 2amps.

Now the problem is most "wallwart" power supplies are unregulated, meaning when they say 12v@700ma, they put 12v at around 700ma. If you run it on something that only draws 200ma, it will run more than 12v and probably fry it. So by my above calculations, each strip will need about 12v@700ma if you intended to wire them to different tanks or different power sources.

using an old computer power supply, while big, is regulated and you can power LED's, fans, etc, all from it and have 12v power at whatever power you need.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Default LED power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Hope you're not planning on those for any kind of plants and just ambient lighting as they're not plant capable really, just accent light.

As for power, an average LED draws 20ma, x 36 LED's x 3 stripes ~= 2.1amp@12v, so a 12v power supply from an old cordless phone, electronic, etc, at around 2amps.

Now the problem is most "wallwart" power supplies are unregulated, meaning when they say 12v@700ma, they put 12v at around 700ma. If you run it on something that only draws 200ma, it will run more than 12v and probably fry it. So by my above calculations, each strip will need about 12v@700ma if you intended to wire them to different tanks or different power sources.

using an old computer power supply, while big, is regulated and you can power LED's, fans, etc, all from it and have 12v power at whatever power you need.
Thank you for explaining that. Would I just wire it directly to the 12v 700ma by stripping it and using wire nuts? If I can find an old computer power supply could I wire two strips to the one supply?

I'm sorry! I am REALLY challenged when it comes to electrical. I bought them to add some wattage to my existing LED lights, but it sounds like you don't think it will add anything except visual light. If that's the case, I may just scrap the idea of using on my tank and find something else to use them on. I'm just scared to hook them up wrong and cause a fire or something! They didn't come with any directions for hook up to a power supply.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any generic 12V power supply over 2A should work.. I reuse old router and random ones all the time.. If you use 3 of those strips i'm sure you can grow some plants.. mine seem to be doing well with my diy led lighting.
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Cool! Thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
John K
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raesunrae View Post
Thank you for explaining that. Would I just wire it directly to the 12v 700ma by stripping it and using wire nuts?
They sell screw on connectors on ebay that will make it easier to plug/unplug from the power supply. Look for "2.1 x 5.5mm DC Power Jack Adapter" . This seems to be the most common size connector, but you'll need to check your power supply.

PSA: When talking about baby fish, "fry" is plural.
I have a fry. I have some fry.

John K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical, led, power, supply, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.