Hairy Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-12-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

I bought Cabomba Caroliniana and Rotala Wallichii from LFS today. When i plant it i noticed a huge number of hairy algae :shock: is all over the plant(both),i took it out of the tank and put it in a pail with some aged water..how can i remove these algae?
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Minders
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Minders Send a message via Yahoo to Minders

Hairy algae is difficult. I have found that with the plants in my aquarium that have got infested with it, although I've TRIED just pulling it off manually, it always grows back. I find it's worse on plants that are dying. Was the Cabomba you bought kept in good conditions? Good, clean water and appropriate amounts of light? If not, it was probably on its way out already thus giving the hair algae a chance to get a good hold. I don't know what to suggest. Hopefully someone else reading this will be able to offer more advice.

I used to have Cabomba in my tank, but my lighting has always been insufficient (only 60w when I need 120w). Cabomba used to grow OK for a while, but eventually the hair algae took over. Despite pinching out the ends with the algae on them, totally removing the affected parts of the plant, it always grew back. Eventually I had to remove it all from the tank. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
4ft tank - Keyhole Cichlids, Marbelled Hatchets, Corys (trilineatus, sterbai, albino sterbai), Brochis Splendens, Emporer Tetras, Golden Pencilfish, Glowlights, Rummynoses, Ottocinclus, Endlers Livebearers, Amano Shrimp (4x 30w Aqua-glo & Power-glo, laterite under sand substrate, Eheim Ecco 2236 and Fluval 4 plus filter)

2ft - Apistogramma Panduro, C139 corys

2.5ft - Breeding colony Zebra Plecs
Minders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
Ag
Algae Grower

You can dip your plants in a bleach/water solution at a ratio of 19/1 for about 2 minutes and it will not kill your plants,you may lose the leaves,but it will not kill them. It is a very effective way to kill of any algae.That is 19 parts water 1 part bleach.
Ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
zhima
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to zhima

has anybody tried using barley straw? It's said to help pond algaes.
zhima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is an organism living inside the barley bales, i think you might need quite an unsigtly lump in the tank...

I was reading today of someone who used duckweed and and tetra florapride (which boosts the growth of the duckweed) he would remove excess duckweed and so export the nutrients that are too much. This deprives algae of both light and nutrients, plants too I guess but i believe its a quite shortterm treatment.

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote