How many Otocinclus can I have?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Pinkie Pie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How many Otocinclus can I have?

Hi everyone! I was hoping someone can tell me how much Otocinclus I can have in my aquarium. I have a 100 gallon, stocked with 5 guppies, and 4 loaches. The main reason why I want Oto's is because of the pesky Diatom algae. I made a commitment that I would clean it up without resorting to Otocinclus, but cleaning the Diatoms off every single Anubias leaf ( My tank is full of Anubias plants- 4 different species!) drives me up the walls!

So yeah! How much Otocinclus can I fit in my 100 gallon? I heard you should get them in groups of 3, but I usually introduce fish into my aquarium one at a time at least once a week.

On the side note, how many more guppies can I fit in this aquarium?

PS: This use to be a gold fish tank for a year, I switched it up a little.
Pinkie Pie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
Hi everyone! I was hoping someone can tell me how much Otocinclus I can have in my aquarium. I have a 100 gallon, stocked with 5 guppies, and 4 loaches. The main reason why I want Oto's is because of the pesky Diatom algae. I made a commitment that I would clean it up without resorting to Otocinclus, but cleaning the Diatoms off every single Anubias leaf ( My tank is full of Anubias plants- 4 different species!) drives me up the walls!

So yeah! How much Otocinclus can I fit in my 100 gallon? I heard you should get them in groups of 3, but I usually introduce fish into my aquarium one at a time at least once a week.

On the side note, how many more guppies can I fit in this aquarium?

PS: This use to be a gold fish tank for a year, I switched it up a little.
I don't know how many Oto's you can get, but your guppies will breed very quickly and eventually you'll have a ton of them.
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Oto's have a low bio load and seeming you have a ton of free space would recommend stocking in odd numbers and 5-7 should be good
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
dthb4438
Shrimp fanatic

PTrader: (67/100%)

I've got 10 all male guppies in my 55 gallon and watching them in schooling formation is fun to watch. I also have 5 Otos. You should be able to put as mentioned, 5 or more. They will have the algae down quickly.
dthb4438 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

You probably can put at least 20 of them. They are cool to watch!
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You've got tons of room in a tank that size--you might consider a bristlenose pleco in place of or in addition to the ottos. My pleco keeps the anubia, crypts and java fern in his tank spotless, while the ottos barely touch the ones in their tank where they mostly hang out on the glass and nibble along the finer leaved plants.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Pinkie Pie
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! I got two and I plan to add more when my LFS gets a hold of more Otocinclus, they didn't even have any types of plecos either. Kind of worried though, my tank has lots of Diatoms to go around but it scares me to think that if I add more Otocinclus or plecos some might starve.

I added some anacharis to my tank too, I hope there is enough nutrients to go around. I DO NOT have any CO2 in my aquarium. Since all of you are saying my tank has a lot of space, it sounds like the amount of fish I have in their won't be able to support all the plants I have.

I'd have to say my aquarium is maybe... 4/10 of plants (Mostly Anubias). I decided to add Elodea because one of my guppy's are showing signs of pregnancy (Fat, She almost looks like a square). I'm aiming for hiding spots to help the fry survive, but when I added the Elodea, some of them sank and only a few floated.

As you can see, I have a few things going wrong with my tank. My questions are:

Adding Elodea cause harm to my other plants by hogging all the nutrients?

Should I remove any of the plants to balance things out? (Java ferns, Marimos, Elodea, anubias)

Will my guppy fry survive without any hiding spots up top?

If none of the plants in my aquarium are nutrient hogs, what plant IS? (I always thought Java Moss and Marimos were)

No matter how much plants there are, there will never be enough to prevent algae growth right?

When guppy fry are born, do they generally float or sink to the bottom?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
merritt1985
Planted Member

I don't think you'll have to many problems out of most of the plants you have already. In my experience anacharis is like a weed it's gonna grow but most of the plants you have are slow growers so might not be a problem. Might want to try out some ferts though Flourish or api leaf zone are pretty cheap. The guppy fry will find hiding spots and mine never stay up top for more then a few hours if that. Java moss is great for guppy fry to pick at all kind of little critters live in it. How many females and male guppies do you have? Also what kind of loaches do you have as most of them like to be in larger groups?
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

With 100G you can keep tons of otos. Try 5 of the. First, if they seems happy (fat belly) then you always can add more.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I promise in a tank that size you will have plenty of algae for the ottos to eat even after adding more. I currently am housing 6 in a 20L. Two of them go to a new home shortly. I added 2 about 3 weeks ago and was worried about food supply, but they are all quite fat and happy. I do drop in an algae wafer every once in a while, but the ottos mainly ignore it. As far as plants go, anubias are slow growing, low nutrient dependent plants. At most I'd say you could stick a root tab in if they start to show signs of nutrient deficiency.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Pinkie Pie
Algae Grower

I plan to add more soon! Thanks guys for the input. I'm worried now again because after doing a little more research on them, it turns out they are not very hardy fish. Knowing my luck with fragile fish, I feel like they'll turn over soon...

On the plus side, they started eating an algae that I could never remove without damaging plants. That thick, black algae. I was extremely surprised when I caught them chewing and breaking off this horrible algae without harming the plants. There's a bunch of diatoms and the growth rate of it is faster then the Oto's can consume them. At least they won't starve- I guess it's safe to buy more of them!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

in a 100 gallon......well, if there are people that can get away with 10 in a 10.....yah

I'd get no fewer than 15 personally....no more than 50.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

As a keep my tank clean I'd do one per 10g! If you like them as much as I do go nuts!!!! Just remember the occasional algae waffer is always appreciated. Keeping one per 10g should be enough algae for them to be happy forever

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'd say at least 20 Ottos and you could easily do 50+ guppies.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
AnthonyW8822
Algae Grower

I'd add a few clown plecos. They're dwarfs - but IMO the best looking plecos out there
AnthonyW8822 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
anubias, guppy, otocinclus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.