Paludarium Build/Suggestions/Need help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
TheGreatPallyBuild

PTrader: (0/0%)

Paludarium Build/Suggestions/Need help!

Hey everyone so I am sorta new and not new to the whole building a tank thing. I'm not new because I do work in a pet store so I do have some knowledge of reptiles, but I am new because I've never owned any, nor have I built a tank. My hope is to build a nice big paludarium over the next few months that would be loaded with live plants/water section and maybe an elevated level above the actual tank. My idea was to get maybe a 55 gallon, 75 gallon or 125 gallon tank(depending on the length and suggestions) for this build. I was going to divide the tank into either a 50/50 land/water section or a 75/25 land/water set up as well. I then wanted to build my own version of a tank topper out of a wooden frame and mesh (possibly acrylic for humidity reasons). This topper would be significantly tall possibly 3-4ft from the top of the tank. The real hope is although I know its frowned upon is to have a multifunctional tank in which I can house a few different animals. I was thinking of doing like tetras in the water, some kind of frog for the land section and hopefully some kind of animal for the higher end of the tank. I would plan to make some kind of divider to keep the animal in the top separate just for safety reasons. I really need help with design setup plant animal suggestion everything! I know it will be a lot of work and cost a bit but I am really planning to do this the right way Also, as an added bonus my job gives me 30% off everything ;D
TheGreatPallyBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey. Welcome to the forums.

I'd suggest staying away from a 55gallon, they are really too narrow to work well as a paludarium.

The 40Breeder is a pretty nice size, and sometimes you can get them at the petco $1/gallon sale, which is another plus.

When you do a paludarium, you can loose a lot of space in the tank just from the backdrop, and even more if you are building some sort of ledge type feature, so it's better if you can start out with a fairly wide/deep tank.

I'm sorta planning a similar setup, but haven't had much free time to get very far towards building it. I'm using a 40B, and want to have an extended frame/top which will provide some arboreal/ledge areas, while leaving most of the tank volume for water. I haven't settled on exactly how I'm going to build it yet, but I'm probably going to build it out of plywood, and give it a couple coats of epoxy.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
ShortFin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Perhaps this thread will give you some ideas.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97228
ShortFin is offline   Reply With Quote