Unzan 75-P - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #136
davidj12
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
Really love this set up.

The tank and lighting is exactly the same as what I am planning for my first planted set up, and it really gives me inspriation

A few questions if you wouldn't mind helping me out?

I understood the the nag bulb brought out the green of the plants more. Is that correct? Or would you advise the bulb you are using? Was the nag really that blue?
Is the light/ballast noisy at all? Looking for a near silent set up as some mh ballasts can be noisy.

I really like this set up. From the ones I have seen, none have had plants any higher than the rock as most are mimicking a landscape. Only my obs as a noob! But this really works well and makes me want to use a few more plants in my iwagumi and create something slightly denser than the average look.

Great thread and great tank
No problem! The NAG bulb was EXTREMELY blue. I'm sure over time it would have become a little warmer but I really though I got the marine bulb by mistake when I plugged it in the first time. I like the bulb I'm using (NA) but don't have much to compare it to as I did not use the other bulb at all when the tank was full.

The ballast has a slight hum when on but I would not say it's overly loud. With the cabinet doors closed you can barely hear it in a silent room.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #137
davidj12
Algae Grower

Default Ich!

Well my tetras have ich. No signs of ich when I got them but when I went back to Nature Aquarium to get an ich medication I noticed that the tank I got the fish from was infested.... Since there was no sign of ich when I purchased them there is really not much to do but deal with it. I have since turned up the heat to 86 and am dosing Nox-Ich. Hopefully it will be taken care of soon.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #138
Jello
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)

What kind of Tetra did get from Nature Aquarium? I had the same thing happen to me when I bought some green neon tetra from Toru. I ended up throwing them into another tank, used the ich medicine and upped the temp to about 86.
Jello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #139
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello View Post
What kind of Tetra did get from Nature Aquarium? I had the same thing happen to me when I bought some green neon tetra from Toru. I ended up throwing them into another tank, used the ich medicine and upped the temp to about 86.
They are Cardinal Tetras. Everything looked fine when I purchased them. But now his tank with all the cardinals in it are infested way worse than my tank.... What ich medication are you using? I've been dosing for 3 days and this morning some of my fish still had a little ich on them. Not sure if Nox-Ich is going to work....
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #140
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Sorry about the tetras, hope you can get them better.

Are you using RO water for this tank I forgot to ask?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #141
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Sorry about the tetras, hope you can get them better.

Are you using RO water for this tank I forgot to ask?
Thanks!

Yeah it's 100% RO/DI water. I re-mineralise with GLA ultimate gh booster and some baking soda.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #142
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Are you not dosing a separate potassium source(k2s04) since your Nitrate and Phosphates already have some in each? Have you had luck with this in the past?

Your having amazing results, sorry about the cardinals btw. I just started a similar setup last week but now am kicking myself for not ever even hearing about tissue cultured plants. I am experiencing a lot of melting with my HC, half of each portion planted so far. They are adjusting to being submerged I guess.

Also, I battled with BBA for a long time, it actually caused me to give up a few years back. Ended up just having a 120g driftwood biotope for my discus instead. Now I'm back and trying plants on a smaller scale separate 20g tank.

Anyway, thanks for such a detailed journal, it's helping me already!
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #143
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I just realized that "equilibrium" also contains potassium.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #144
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
Are you not dosing a separate potassium source(k2s04) since your Nitrate and Phosphates already have some in each? Have you had luck with this in the past?

Your having amazing results, sorry about the cardinals btw. I just started a similar setup last week but now am kicking myself for not ever even hearing about tissue cultured plants. I am experiencing a lot of melting with my HC, half of each portion planted so far. They are adjusting to being submerged I guess.

Also, I battled with BBA for a long time, it actually caused me to give up a few years back. Ended up just having a 120g driftwood biotope for my discus instead. Now I'm back and trying plants on a smaller scale separate 20g tank.

Anyway, thanks for such a detailed journal, it's helping me already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
I just realized that "equilibrium" also contains potassium.
I'm using GLA Ultimate GH booster now. I quite prefer it to Equilibrium it's not as "dirty" and dissolves much better. I believe that has K2sO4, CaSO4, and MgSO4 in it.

I'm sure it will turn out well. My HC had no change for a few weeks when I first planted and then it just took off.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #145
Jello
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
Default Unzan 75-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj12 View Post
What ich medication are you using? I've been dosing for 3 days and this morning some of my fish still had a little ich on them. Not sure if Nox-Ich is going to work....
Toru sold me nox ich. I used it in my hospital tank. It took almost a month before all the white spots were gone. I also added some salt to the water as well, along with daily water changes.
Jello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #146
davidj12
Algae Grower

Ich seems to be subsiding. I'm going to keep the temp up for another week probably. Only issue with that is I seem to be getting a lot of algae now on the rocks. Not sure if this is because of the excessive heat or it's something else.... Has this happened to anyone else?

I installed the Vuppa and that has taken care of the surface film but because my temp is so high the water has been evaporating very quickly and top offs are more often now. Keeping the water at a good level for the vuppa to operate is kind of a PITA. Hopefully I'll have to fuss with it less when the water is not so hot.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #147
bassmjm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

This is a gorgeous tank, and everything underneath the tank is smexy! Have you considered shaping the "shrubbery" in the background to slope toward/away from the rock?
bassmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #148
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I like how the HC is overflowing that rock.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #149
davidj12
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmjm View Post
This is a gorgeous tank, and everything underneath the tank is smexy! Have you considered shaping the "shrubbery" in the background to slope toward/away from the rock?
Yes I'm in the process of doing that. My last big trim was probably the furthest I will ever trim the stem plants. I'll probably trim them again this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
I like how the HC is overflowing that rock.
Me too. It's like an HC waterfall!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #150
davidj12
Algae Grower

Once I upped the heat to deal with the ich it induced a hair algae outbreak. Got home on Monday after being gone all weekend and it was pretty bad. Mostly on the rocks but a little in the plants too. I spent 30min yesterday trying to suck it all out with an airline. I've reduced the temp back to normal and hope the ich does not come back. Fingers crossed.

Also noticed that the HC suffered a little form the high temp. Hope to get everything back to normal soon.

Tags
75p, ada, unzan