New Iwagumi Setup, Check out the pics! Need some advice too. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
ETK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

that is a Kicka$$ table.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #17
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

So it's been a week now, HC has had considerable melting during this transition to being submerged. I am not seeing any pearling or much growth at all in the HC but have seen growth in the hair grass. I spoke to the plant dealer and found out the HC was grown emerged not submerged. There are still green leaves throughout each portion of HC planted, so it's not fully melted thankfully.

I also am getting hair algae on some stones and melted portions of the plants. I have been EI dosing but am starting to think I should have held off for a week or two. I added 3 large amano shrimp to help eat it.

Since I felt there were too many shadowed areas with one tile I ordered a second. I have 2 grobeam ultima 1500's now. They are very bright, I hope they aren't too much light. I've been researching distance from substrate with these lights without much luck. Right now I have the lights 25 inches from the substrate, that's a foot above the water line.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default New Iwagumi Setup, Check out the pics! Need some advice too.

Check out my other post.@ 24 inch you should get about 50 PAR. Which should be ok. That's med-high light. If if your seeing algae I would pump up that c02! I want to get the same lights for a future project. They seem like they are very powerful!
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Frrok,

I am gonna keep the height of 24" from substrate that I have, may play around with having the lights on cycles of 50% to 100% throughout the 8 hour photo period.

So on to my other problems. I took 3 amanos out of my 120gallon discus biotope yesterday. Acclimated them and they were eating algae like crazy all day. Last night all 3 managed to crawl out of my tank and die.

The water line is about an inch, guess it's not far enough. My water parameters are zero ammonia and nitrite. The tank is def cycled.
The C02 drop checker is green, ph was 6.5 or so on a c02 controller.
I am going to drop the ph today to 5.5 and get a lot more c02 in the water to combat the algae and really hoping to see some new growth from the HC.

Only thing that I could think of as reasoning for crawling out is:

1: Being a new tank to them they thought maybe there was water on the other side and they all just followed each other out, happily.

2: I have no heater on the tank, the water fluctuates between 72-76 day to night from what I am seeing. The room the tank is in receives indirect sun and gets warm. I didn't think that temp change would bother them. It changes over several hours not within minutes.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default New Iwagumi Setup, Check out the pics! Need some advice too.

Sorry to hear that. They are notorious for crawling out. I've lost a few that way. Just have to get a lid or have conditions so good they don't want to get out! Lol.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

More CO2. Drop checker is just a rule of thumb. HC is notorious for needing a ton of CO2 during the transition. A green drop checker does not get you there.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Texascichlid...I checked out your tank journal. I see you started with HC. I also saw that you started off rooting it in your soil without full submersion. That is probably where I went wrong with my setup.

It's been a week now, I'll have to be a bit more patient. I am not all that sure how to combat the algae at the moment other than high C02 and water changes. I am not dosing any ferts at the moment.

I was running my C02 higher than a green indicator but when I added the shrimp I brought it down to green. Now that they are no longer in the tank I can bring it back full yellow. The hair algae seems worse today since I brought the C02 down yesterday. I did a water change and tried to remove as much as I could.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
Thanks Texascichlid...I checked out your tank journal. I see you started with HC. I also saw that you started off rooting it in your soil without full submersion. That is probably where I went wrong with my setup.

It's been a week now, I'll have to be a bit more patient. I am not all that sure how to combat the algae at the moment other than high C02 and water changes. I am not dosing any ferts at the moment.

I was running my C02 higher than a green indicator but when I added the shrimp I brought it down to green. Now that they are no longer in the tank I can bring it back full yellow. The hair algae seems worse today since I brought the C02 down yesterday. I did a water change and tried to remove as much as I could.
If your HC was grown emersed, which it likely was, the old leaves will melt off before the new ones show up. CO2 helps ease this transition, but it will still happen. Try dosing Excel at a high dose to help combat the algae. I run high CO2 and dose Excel at a pretty stout level.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

AHH yes Excel! I have some I forgot about. I need to buy a C02 test kit so I can get some real numbers. When my 4dkh drop checker turns yellow my ph is around 5.5. I have it on Milwaukee PH controller. What color do you let yours get without noticing your fish struggling for o2.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Started dosing Excel and have my C02 pumped way up, that has helped slow down the new algae. After a little over a week now I am starting to see some new growth, little peaks of green leaves amongst the dead melted ones.

I noticed my lilly intake pipe really restricts my eheim pro3e canister, the slits are very narrow and if any debris get stuck on it it will immediately slow down the motor speed to prevent burn out. It's one of those smart filters it adjusts it's flow based on it sensing clogging or restriction. That lead to poor circulation and definitely not helping prevent algae.

I decided to pull the Vortech Mp10 pump off my 120gallon temporarily to get things moving. It's great for C02 circulation and getting all the melt off the bottom as well.

Here's some pics. Hoping things will get better now that it seems to be past the initial submerged shock.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #26
Knicolas
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jealous of my growth? I'm jealous of your stand. Let's trade.

Seems like we're in the same boat so I'll be subscribing!
Knicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #27
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #28
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Picture update coming this weekend if anyones interested to see how the setup is going.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #29
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Cool build, hopefully the HC transitions smoothly, were you not able to find submerged growth HC as that is hardier I have heard?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #30
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default 1 Month Update

Changed things around a bit and added more plants about a week and half ago.

New plants have only been in for about a week and a half now.

Current plants:

HC (growing fast now)
Glosso(took off immediately)
Dwarf HG (done well off the bat)
Fissiden (tied to rock not doing much yet)
Round Pelia (tied golf ball on bottom)
Staurogyne Repen (looked bad on arrival, lots of new growth in a week)
Blyxa (also looked terrible on arrival, some new growth)

6 Otto's
4 zebra snails
Tons of tiny snails from the hair grass are reproducing fast. I actually really like them.

Ordered 15 Crystal Red Shrimp coming next week. Going to see how they do before I spend too much.

Pics: