Buying plants online
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Buying plants online

First I want to apologize, I am sure this question gets asked to nauseum. That being said I did try doing a search first, but tapatalk's search function just doesn't seem to be working for me and my phone is my main access to the forum. That being said I was wondering what online stores folks would recommend for buying plants. I do know that I can look at buying from members here, but I am getting ready to start planting my 72 gallon tank and plan on ordering a lot of plants, since I am planning on doing the tank heavily planted pretty much from the start. Places that I know of online already is Bob's Tropical plants, Planted aquarium.com. Have also looked at live aquaria. I am doing an Amazon theme with this tank, and with plants I am wanting to continue that theme. Would appreciate any recommendations for any online vendors. Hoping that once the necessary bills are paid I will be able to order my Leds and my plants at the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

No better place to purchase or win plants on the RAOK section than here! You will find knowledgable people who can give you as much advice as you need! Also someone always has an extra of everything that is willing to sell or trade!

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Buying plants online

72g? That small ,<joke>

Best way is to post a WTB thread in the WTB part of the forum with a list of plants with quantities you want and see what comes in from the members.

Never hurts to ask for pics of the actual plants.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ is a good place to buy online. More limited variety than say aquariumplants.com but very good plants and packages to withstand most temps. Another is aquariumplants.com .. they have way more variety then most other places online.

I knew everyone recommends to get them through the forum but if you're buying a lot you might save on shipping cost if you order from an online store. Plus if you're looking to get some tall sized plants rather than short trimmings online store might be better for you.
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

One thing to watch out for is that many on-line stores sell a lot of plants grown emmersed (out of the water).

That's usually not a big deal except when you are planting a lot in a brand new tank. You will need to watch the plants closely and remove rotting leaves promptly.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
merritt1985
Planted Member

I'd go with plantedaquariumscentral.com too. I buy from them quite often

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 04-11-2013 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: no vendor reviews
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

There are some sellers in the trading room that have for sale listings that rival on line stores, they are actually importing/growing plants for sale, not just trimming their show tanks. I would check there before anything else!

I know it ends up with multiple shipping charges, but even the fellow hobbyist in the ROAK or for sale room can be a great source of rare stuff and full grown individual plants.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
chale
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I use this site when starting a tank. http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/ . If you buy a package the shipping is free and he normally throws in extras or something rare with each order. He's also very good with reaching out to customers if they have any questions.
chale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Cmarsh989
Algae Grower

I have purchased all my plants from aquabid.com All of them free shipping and very healthy still.
Cmarsh989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Ordering Plants On-Line

Hello Barb...

I order all my plants from Ron at alphaprobreeders. Attached is a pic of a couple of tanks with some of the plants I got from him. He has very nice Anubias varieties, like nana and nangi. They're my favs.

B

Last edited by BBradbury; 05-01-2013 at 08:56 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Support your fellow TPTers and post in the WTB section! They will not let you down, and they are way cheaper than websites.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
BarbH
Planted Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. If it wasn't for the fact that I am getting so many plants at once I would go through here. But with as many plants as I am getting from aquarium plants.com my order is being shipped for $6.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.