The Starting Plane: contrsuctive criticism really helps
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Starting Plane: contrsuctive criticism really helps

I have decided to take the dive into planted aquariums, I have previous experience helping my brother keep a 150g of Africans, but I am a newbie to this part of the hobby. I also have the advantage of working at a fish store (Big al's, if you know it) so that gives me availability to products at discounts, fortunately. What it also does is surround me with plenty of people whom are very informed on this subject, so i basically have plenty of help by my side. I imagine the learning curve on planted aquariums is pretty big, but I am ready to put the time and effort in to achieve a nice aquascape going on.

The list of what I plan to get:
20g Long (already have)
3 bags of eco-complete
T5 lights
Liquid CO2 (co worker told me about this, if you guys suggest something different please share)
An EHEIM filter (not sure what kind exactly, to get, once again any info is much appreciated)
Planning to find driftwood soon (I've read up on the best way to release tannins, so I am aware of that issue)

Also if you believe I should buy anything off of Kijiji or somewhere online to save money, or for better quality, please share

As far as plants go, this is where I don't know to much. I'm trying to achieve a really green tank, kinda obvious, I know. I'm going for a carpet scape, so any suggestions on what plant I should go for on that would be great.

As you can see I'm not the most informed person on this topic, but, I am learning. Reading as much off the site as I can everyday, and I have to say it's great and really friendly.

Once again, ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED Thank you everyone, once I get my tank up and running I will make a tank journal to keep you guys posted.
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
sacme
Planted Member

Default Typo

Plan not plane, sorry
Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

well im by no means a carpet guy just wont grow for me. but my first thought would be what type of carpet are you wanting. Something compact or more grass like. A few different options would be glosso, marsilea minuta, hairgrass, dwarf sag and Hemianthus Callitrichoides. All work well for a carpet but each has its own look. The other thing you might want to read up on is doing a dry start method. You actually plant the tank but dont fill it with water for a few weeks letting the plants root and get established (read no floating away) before adding water. Theres more to the dry start then that but you can read up on it here. Good luck and looking forward to seeing how your tank comes together
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
sacme
Planted Member

Thanks man, I'll be looking into those plants, and the dry scape
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
norbot
Planted Member

With t5 lighting you will benefit from co2, pressurized co2 is the way to go.

I am no planted tank expert but I have found that carpets can be challenging, you will want co2 to help form that lush, dense carpet; you may get by without it but it will make things grow a lot nicer.

I have tried microsword and dwarf hairgrass carpets with moderate success. I say this because it took about 5 months to form the carpet, I expect it can be done quicker.

These resemble an underwater lawn, rather pleasing
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbot View Post
With t5 lighting you will benefit from co2, pressurized co2 is the way to go.

I am no planted tank expert but I have found that carpets can be challenging, you will want co2 to help form that lush, dense carpet; you may get by without it but it will make things grow a lot nicer.

I have tried microsword and dwarf hairgrass carpets with moderate success. I say this because it took about 5 months to form the carpet, I expect it can be done quicker.

These resemble an underwater lawn, rather pleasing

Thank you so much, I've been looking into CO2 because I heard it really helps. When you say pressurized CO2 would that mean I'd have to buy some kind of CO2 dispenser? How much would a good ome be going for?I've seen some DIY ones. Would you suggest making one or buying one? Thanks again
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacme View Post
Thank you so much, I've been looking into CO2 because I heard it really helps. When you say pressurized CO2 would that mean I'd have to buy some kind of CO2 dispenser? How much would a good ome be going for?I've seen some DIY ones. Would you suggest making one or buying one? Thanks again
If you have never set one up before you should probably purchase one. You will need a tank, regulator, counter, and diffuser; systems can run from under 100 dollars to several hundred dollars. Pressurized CO2 is your best bet, and you should always get the largest bottle you can afford, that way you don't have to refill as often.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
norbot
Planted Member

Do read over these articles:
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-CO2-Diffuser/8/
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-CO2-Reactor/2/
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-Yeast-CO2/7/
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Pressurized-CO2/19/

Read before you purchase anything, then read some more, you won't regret it

Well co2 can be as expensive as you want to make it, for example I found a full 10# tank with regulator on CL for $20. Another $10 for a diffuser from lfs and bingo I've got pressurized co2 for $30, except, there's no needle valve so it isn't really safe for fish, I use it on a plant only tank

Look in the for sale section to see some co2 bling you can roll with if you can afford.

It's not for everyone, but I would never attempt any tank without co2 again
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
begginer, help planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.