Brown Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
Bill B

PTrader: (0/0%)

:cry:
Hi folks, newbie to site. Hope someone can help!

Main problem is brown algae.

Recently set up tank (15th Nov) after moving home.

Tank size: 48" x 18"H x 12"W.

Lighting: 3 x 40w Arcadia tubes (2 x original tropical, 1 x freshwater), on between 12 noon & 10pm.

CO2 system: Bioplast, linked with solenoid valve to lights, bubble counter set to 1&1/2 - 2 per second.

Substrate: black gravel, approx. 3" deep, 1/2" layer of Laterite 1" from bottom of tank.

Filtration: Interpet 60 with foam, ceramic tubes, JBL filter wool and activated carbon. Outlet of filter connects to CO2 reactor.

Temperature: 80 - 82 degrees.

Fish: 1 x Red tailed black shark, 1 x clown loach, 1 x banded catfish, 10 x cardinals, 2 x Boesmani Rainbows, 2 x flame tetras, 8 x small Endlers guppies.

Since setting up the tank, a light brown slimy type algae has appeared on all plants, the gravel, the glass, inside the filter outlet tube and inside the CO2 reactor.
Any advice / help would be very welcome.

Thanks.
Bill B
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 07:41 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Most new tanks go through a period of brown algae, after a while they disappear. That's the good news. The bad news is that most new tanks also go through a period of green water. Just to prepare you for it.
You might want to add some Otocinclus catfish, maybe 3 or 4, they love brown algae. However, for a 3 week old tank you got a lot in there already, I hope you monitor Ammonia and Nitrite and your fooshies continue to do well. Patience...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 08:35 PM   #3
Bill B

I've been keeping tropical fish for more years than I care to remember and I have never had this problem like it before. I appreciate that the fish you recommend will probably help, although I would rather find out the true cause of this.... there is obviously an underlying problem. I "matured" the tank with the original filter medium (that I had in the tank before I moved home). I feel sure that the problem is either with the carbon in the filter, lack of light or incorrect type of lighting (maybe I should have used metal halide lamps or mercury vapour, I just didn't want to have lights suspended in mid-air over the tank).
Any more thoughts?

Bill B
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 09:00 PM   #4
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes, but need the rest of your parameters. CO2 level, pH, KH, GH, nitrate level, phosphorus levels and dosing routine.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:48 AM   #5
DTs

I think it's just something that most tanks go through. My 3-week old 90g well-planted tank is now getting a bit of golden brown algae here and there. My experience is that it goes away. Interestingly, the same thing happens in reef tanks. Or, if you put a new piece of equipment in the tank that has acrylic or something like that, it'll get brown algae on it, clear up and then never get it again.

I don't think metal halide lights will help this issue as I have a Giesemann pendant over my tank. I'm going to add a few otocinclus.

After the brown algae comes the green. My plants are growing super fast as I dose CO2 with a controller and have rich substrate (Fertiplant, Fertiplant+, and 3"-5" on top of Eco-Complete), so hopefully I can avoid any bad algae issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.