Axolotls + MGOPM?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
Darks!de
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Axolotls + MGOPM?

I'm about to transfer a 20g year old, low light, low tech tank to a med light 29g. Changing from black sand to MGOPM.

First concern is if the MGOPM could in anyway hurt the axolotls (amphibians), as they absorb molecules through there skin as well as gills.

Secondly, does changing over with the mix give off an initial ammonia spike? I have several Anubias, 2 Val's, 4x4 DHC, DHG, and a bunch of frogbit and DWL. Big canister filter with tons of foam ans seachem media = lots of bacteria. Thoughts?

Luke
Darks!de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
Darks!de
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Axolotls + MGOPM?

Nobody knoooows.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
jspk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think people usually cap off the miracle grow. I believe it has lots of debris such as sticks and such and leaches tanins into the water. Sort of like peat moss?
I think it would be safe as long as it's capped and the substrate isn't stirred up.
jspk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Darks!de
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Axolotls + MGOPM?

Yea capping with black beauty. Just wondering about the ferts and spikes.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darks!de View Post
Nobody knoooows.
Hi Luke, Didn't know the critter related question is why I didn't respond earlier. Scaleless Kuhli and Clowns yes but not never axolotls.

Regarding bagged dirt and the setup you are talking about that I can mumble about a little.

Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix is the bagged 'dirt' product I use.
MGOCPM (potting mix) contains soils and a large portion of organic material (55-65% by volume).
Listed as containing Sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fines, leaves, twigs, wood chips, etc. and "pasteurized poultry litter" (cooked chicken crap).
The chicken crap is cooked to eliminate the bacteria it's commonly known to contain. Using it I've never seen 'level' spikes to be concerned with. Several tanks went months without ever testing above zero or 5ppm on nitrate and phosphate but plant growth was outstanding.
0.10-0.05-0.05 is one of the lowest NPK ratios you will find on a bagged product and part of the reason the initial spikes reported by many using other stuff are reported at a minimum using MGOCPM.

Get the right bag and have zero point zero added chemical ferts to be concerned with. If you want to avoid ammonia spikes and other water parameter hiccups I suggest avoiding soils with manure in high percentage. Plant heavily with what you have. Root feeders right from the start, also I like to use floaters (you mentioned some) because they aid in controlling light and the filter feeding roots from floaters minimize anything left for algae to feed on. Stock lightly and control the light energy betting you no issues but can't guarantee anything.
Using seeded media (which you have) setting up over a dozen of these type tanking systems I've only tested positive for ammonia and nitrite on tested values twice. Both times in less than 48hrs it was over.

HTH
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.