Newbie safe-t-sorb questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Amstar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Newbie safe-t-sorb questions

Should I "charge" it with fertilizers before using.
If yes, what should I use?
What does it do to my water that I will/should replenish?
What else do people mix (substrate wise) with STS?
I was going to use jobes plant and fern fertilizer sticks and place them under my substrate... Good bad idea...

Thanks
Amstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Hi Amstar,

I have read both the Pros and Cons of pre-charging the high CEC substrates with nutrients. I personally don’t do it because I like to know how much N, P, K, and micronutrients I am adding to my tanks. Also, since I typically see a spike in ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in a new tank anyway I don’t feel the need to augment that condition.

I think you are going to like the Safe-T-Sorb, other than the initial cleaning it has a nice mix grain sizes , colors, and hues.

-Roy

20 gallon; no CO2; Safe-T-Sorb; DIY AH Supply LED light

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Amstar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does safe t sorb ever become completely clean by rinsing it? Or do you just deal with the left over and let your filter clean the water?
Amstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

just fair warning that you will have water haze a day or two after filling the tank with this substrate. This naturally happens with all clay based materials and its normal. There after... enjoy because its a pretty awesome substrate to work with in a planted aquarium. The consistency is light but unlike sand, it will make for easy anchoring for plants. I use this in my cray tank and have not had any molt issues. Currently in the process of building out a new shrimp tank to test to see if this will also benefit dwarf shrimp in the same regard.

Precharging will bring benefits but it is optional. There is better bang for the buck substrate on the market today...

I find myself rinsing the substrate in a bucket no less than 3 cycles just to eliminate the finer debris and particles which may have landed in the substrate when bagging. Just rinse until you are content with what you see in the bucket...