Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 145
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #2161
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (26/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthypotatoes View Post
i actually do have a bubble counter its just really hard to get the perfect amount of bubbles into the tank
Yea it's hard with those cheap needle valves but doable try just the hose without diffuser and count bubbles once u get the corect amt or close to it leav it runing and put diffuser on an don't touch it. Good luck.
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #2162
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
stealthypotatoes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Yea it's hard with those cheap needle valves but doable try just the hose without diffuser and count bubbles once u get the corect amt or close to it leav it runing and put diffuser on an don't touch it. Good luck.
i used the needle valve that he posted in the desc
do you know of any better ones?
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #2163
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (26/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthypotatoes View Post
i used the needle valve that he posted in the desc
do you know of any better ones?
Yea u can use one that other aquarists use when they run co2 with a 5lb tank they cost more but u have no problem getting the right setting.
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #2164
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
stealthypotatoes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Yea u can use one that other aquarists use when they run co2 with a 5lb tank they cost more but u have no problem getting the right setting.
Do you have a link to any?
Any recommended brands?
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #2165
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 9,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthypotatoes View Post
Do you have a link to any?
Any recommended brands?
Please take a look at my Primer to Pressurized CO2, linked in my signature below. I go over some common brands in terms of needle/metering valves.

Bettatail also has an excellent guide that lists various brands as well as model numbers for needle/metering valves that can be used.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #2166
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
stealthypotatoes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Please take a look at my Primer to Pressurized CO2, linked in my signature below. I go over some common brands in terms of needle/metering valves.

Bettatail also has an excellent guide that lists various brands as well as model numbers for needle/metering valves that can be used.
thanks
and are the swaglok valves good? I was planning to buy that but I couldnt find it locally so i just bought one from home depot
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #2167
Redtail84
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Can we see some pics?
Can't figure out how to post more than one picture from my phone so here is a little collage. This is a 20oz tank, ASA on/off valve with gauge, needle valve from Lowes, and DIY bubble counter. With tubing and the and glass diffuser, this setup cost me less than $50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	122922  

Redtail84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #2168
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
stealthypotatoes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail84 View Post
Can't figure out how to post more than one picture from my phone so here is a little collage. This is a 20oz tank, ASA on/off valve with gauge, needle valve from Lowes, and DIY bubble counter. With tubing and the and glass diffuser, this setup cost me less than $50.
Do you have a problem adjusting the bubbles with that bubble counter because I have the same one and I'm having hard time adjusting
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #2169
FlipsideJohn
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Default


FlipsideJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #2170
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 9,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthypotatoes View Post
thanks
and are the swaglok valves good? I was planning to buy that but I couldnt find it locally so i just bought one from home depot
Swagelok is a good name brand, but you need to pick a metering valve that has a good Cv for our purposes.

The Home Depot needle valve does not really work, since it cannot control the CO2 flow rate accurately. Some people may have some luck, but the smallest change in the needle valve position can lead to a large increase or decrease in CO2.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #2171
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (87/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsy mcstager View Post
nice.......

got mine hooked up, i was sure to follow the follow the directions for the regulator, and things worked well.

no reason to lock this thread!

"jamesyu,I have used this setup for 2 years running and mine is more primative than that, though the only thing i'm upgrading is the co2 cannister from a 20oz to a 5lbs one."

it has lead me to ask questions, and hunt around on my own for parts. i don't need no super duper dual stage regulator, with a 50-80 dollar needle valve!
i'm into a good setup, for around 120$, thanks to this thread

and it sure beats changing yeast bottles every two weeks!!!!!!!









Do you realize what you have is a TRUE PRESSURE REGULATOR setup?


Nothing wrong with the setup you built, but it is not the flow control valve setup that this thread design for, and your system is within Darkblade48's domain, not Jaggedfury's
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #2172
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (87/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyu View Post
I have used this setup for 2 years running and mine is more primative than that, though the only thing i'm upgrading is the co2 cannister from a 20oz to a 5lbs one.
need to show a picture, let me see what you have, I want to know it is a a flow control valve or a true pressure regulator attached, to your paintball tank.


Jaggedfury's paintball co2 setup is not a pressure regulated valve but a flow control valve, a solenoid can not be attached or something will burst.

People PM me all the time want to attach a solenoid to the flow control valve design, my answer is "NO", unless it is true pressure regulator. There was a member bugging me with many pms, want a postbody kit to attach to the ASA valve!!!!, explain many times and eventually send him a high pressure, high precision swagelok metering valve so he can attach this valve to his ASA on/off valve, hopefully he likes the nice metering valve, but a timer via solenoid control is not possible.

here is some pictures of my personal paintball setup, it is the true pressurized regulator attached, so a solenoid control is possible.
IT IS NOT JAGGEDFURY's FLOW CONTROL VALVE DESIGN, don't be mistaken.



Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #2173
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
stealthypotatoes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Swagelok is a good name brand, but you need to pick a metering valve that has a good Cv for our purposes.

The Home Depot needle valve does not really work, since it cannot control the CO2 flow rate accurately. Some people may have some luck, but the smallest change in the needle valve position can lead to a large increase or decrease in CO2.
so do you have a reccommended model number?
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #2174
Redtail84
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthypotatoes View Post
Do you have a problem adjusting the bubbles with that bubble counter because I have the same one and I'm having hard time adjusting
I assume you mean the needle valve. I do have some issues with it. Fortunately, it seems to be kind of stuck on the setting that is about 1-2 bps which keeps my drop checker lime green to yellow.

I also don't think the gauge is entirely accurate, but it gives me a general idea of where my pressure is. I will probably upgrade the needle valve and gauge eventually, but it does the trick for right now.

Quote:
Jaggedfury's paintball co2 setup is not a pressure regulated valve but a flow control valve, a solenoid can not be attached or something will burst.
I had wondered about this, and I thought it not be a good idea. I just run an air stone on a timer at night to off gas the CO2.
Redtail84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #2175
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aulonocara_Freak's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 513
Default

Looks cool and useful, but scary as well.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........

Last edited by Aulonocara_Freak; 04-11-2013 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: edit
Aulonocara_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012