2 hydor inline heaters on 1 canister?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

is this okay to do? I am setting up a 120g fatboy amazon theme and want around 500w of heater. Can i attach a 300w and 200w on the same canister?
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I don't see a problem with it. fail safe if you ask me. However, if both fail they will cook cook you tank. Mine actually failed two weeks ago. Tank temperature reached 90F.
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: 2 hydor inline heaters on 1 canister?

The only thing I can think that may be a problem is water going in is not polished yet so you may need to clean the one on the inlet side more often. That is why I've always worried about putting things on the inlet. But hey if nobody here chimes in with first hand, you can try and let everyone know how it worked.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
The only thing I can think that may be a problem is water going in is not polished yet so you may need to clean the one on the inlet side more often. That is why I've always worried about putting things on the inlet. But hey if nobody here chimes in with first hand, you can try and let everyone know how it worked.
I think the heaters are supposed to go on the outlet tubing (in-line) of the canister.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
AndreyT
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post

is this okay to do? I am setting up a 120g fatboy amazon theme and want around 500w of heater. Can i attach a 300w and 200w on the same canister?
The automatic on-off switch in each heater has slightly different characteristics. On top of that, the temperature adjusting knob on the heater is not a precise instrument.

This means that regardless of how hard you try, the heaters will always be set to slightly different temperatures. This, in turn, means that if the water is really cold, then both heaters will warm it up. But once the water reaches the target temperature, only one of your heaters will work to maintain it, while the second one will simply sit there idly never activating. This is perfectly fine, as long as your heaters are operating properly. Just keep in mind that one of the heaters in this setup might reach the end of its lifetime before the other.
AndreyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
AlanLe
Gurus Master

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default 2 hydor inline heaters on 1 canister?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreyt View Post
the automatic on-off switch in each heater has slightly different characteristics. On top of that, the temperature adjusting knob on the heater is not a precise instrument.

This means that regardless of how hard you try, the heaters will always be set to slightly different temperatures. This, in turn, means that if the water is really cold, then both heaters will warm it up. But once the water reaches the target temperature, only one of your heaters will work to maintain it, while the second one will simply sit there idly never activating. This is perfectly fine, as long as your heaters are operating properly. Just keep in mind that one of the heaters in this setup might reach the end of its lifetime before the other.
+100
AlanLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
I don't see a problem with it. fail safe if you ask me. However, if both fail they will cook cook you tank. Mine actually failed two weeks ago. Tank temperature reached 90F.
I will have finnex controllers for backup.

Whats the ideal wattage for 120g discus tank (discus like warmer water near 80)

was thinking 500w
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
The automatic on-off switch in each heater has slightly different characteristics. On top of that, the temperature adjusting knob on the heater is not a precise instrument.

interesting, so maybe kind of pointless to have 2 heaters...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
zackariah
Planted Member

Just a thought not sure what canister you have but you may be able to split to two outlets from the single. Not sure what canister your running. I'm guessing a big one if its for a 90. Just an idea.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i havent picked a canister filter yet. I am kind of thinking about a sump now, but they are kind of loud.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Sugardaddy1979
Sic em

PTrader: (12/100%)

If you're gonna use a sump, why not just heat the sump and not fool with the in line heaters?
Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
zackariah
Planted Member

Well if you plan to do canister I suggest 2 that way you can do both of your heaters inline plus lots more media options. And you can service One at a time and filteration is still going. I run an ehiem 2236 and a jbj reaction 45 on a 55 long. I love the heater. As far as a sump I don't like the noise either.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardaddy1979 View Post
If you're gonna use a sump, why not just heat the sump and not fool with the in line heaters?
well of course I wouldnt have inline with a sump
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
Well if you plan to do canister I suggest 2 that way you can do both of your heaters inline plus lots more media options. And you can service One at a time and filteration is still going. I run an ehiem 2236 and a jbj reaction 45 on a 55 long. I love the heater. As far as a sump I don't like the noise either.
interesting with running 2 canisters with separate inline heaters on each.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
This means that regardless of how hard you try, the heaters will always be set to slightly different temperatures. This, in turn, means that if the water is really cold, then both heaters will warm it up. But once the water reaches the target temperature, only one of your heaters will work to maintain it, while the second one will simply sit there idly never activating.
This is not entirely true. I have two tanks in my office, both running 200w inlines. Something in the thermostat in these heaters is sensitive to voltage changes in the house main, and they can turn on at the same time. I often hear clickCLICK as both fire up within milliseconds. One is on a 20g, the other is on a 50g, so it's impossible that they're both dropping to the same temperature at the same time so consistently. I'd imagine that if you have both running inline on the same tank, even if the mechanics of the thermostat are set at slightly different temperatures, they may still turn on in unison and heat the water together.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote