Stainless Steel Filter Guard vs prefilter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

Stainless Steel Filter Guard vs prefilter

whats the advantage/disadvantage of the 2?

I am contemplating buying one of those for all my filters.
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

PTrader: (0/0%)

In my personal experience, the sponge pre-filter clogged rather quickly. Though I've talked to others who haven't cleaned theirs in a month and its fine. The mesh filter guard won't clog easily. I like the sponge for the surface area it provides, and shrimps love to spend time on it, but I've got a SS filter guard coming to me at the moment. It's a personal choice and kind of depends on what works for you. The sponges are cheap, worth trying first to see if you like it.
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

My sponge type pre-filter constantly clogged. I bought a steel from from h4n and it's much better in my opinion.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

PTrader: (0/0%)

My time frame was around 3 days, and then flow was drastically reduced. Han has a number of goodies headed my way in the near future, excited!
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

My SS mesh pre filters will clog from time to time, too. It's technically a flat surface with very little area, as opposed to a sponge (especially the coarse ones), which have an extra dimension of storage space for the gunk. The upside is a SS filter is much easier to clean off. Sometimes all it takes is just turning off the flow and let all the debris fall off. I have also yet to have a shrimp sucked into a filter using a SS mesh strainer. I've had less luck with the sponges, especially the filtermax ones.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
My SS mesh pre filters will clog from time to time, too. It's technically a flat surface with very little area, as opposed to a sponge (especially the coarse ones), which have an extra dimension of storage space for the gunk. The upside is a SS filter is much easier to clean off. Sometimes all it takes is just turning off the flow and let all the debris fall off. I have also yet to have a shrimp sucked into a filter using a SS mesh strainer. I've had less luck with the sponges, especially the filtermax ones.
Phew I was about to buy the filtermax ones... I want to try the SS mesh ones (kind of ugly in tank though).
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You have had shrimp sucked in through prefilter sponges?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Not through the sponges, but around them. Those filtermax sponges sit on a plastic frame, and there's enough wiggle room at the top and bottom for the baby shrimp to get through if they want to. I pulled at least a dozen shrimp out of my 2217 before I gave up on the sponges and went with a SS strainer.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Not through the sponges, but around them. Those filtermax sponges sit on a plastic frame, and there's enough wiggle room at the top and bottom for the baby shrimp to get through if they want to. I pulled at least a dozen shrimp out of my 2217 before I gave up on the sponges and went with a SS strainer.
that defeats the purpose of being a prefilter sponge...... SS strainer it is
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge does work well to save fry for the smaller filters like ac20-50 and I just squeeze them out every couple months. Plus it has extra bio filtering being a sponge.

the ac70-110 = SS strainer
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

i found my ac110 derived sponge prefilter clogged much less than my newer Stainless Steel strainer.

The round fluval sponge prefilters are garbage. they clogged daily and became more of a problem than a solution. The pores of the sponge are way too small for this application and would only work for a hob filter with less flow, say a azoo mignon or like.

Speaking on prefilters, the ones worth getting are those that offer the rubber lip which would hug the filter tube and create a seal to prevent shrimp and other critters from being sucked into the gap. hope this helps... if using one that doesnt, a series of rubber bands would help fill the gap while also helping to keep the prefilter attached to the filter tube as well. thicker rubber bands prove to be more durable and live longer than thinner.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeh the fluval prefilter has worked perfect for azoo mignon and ac20. Have not tried on ac30 or ac 50 tho
Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

My fluval prefilter clogged every day and I have a really clean tank. Was just garbage.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
My fluval prefilter clogged every day and I have a really clean tank. Was just garbage.
what filter did u use it on? I use it on my azoo mignon and ac20 and only squeeze it out every couple month.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I use the fluval filter on an ac20 and 50 and my ehiem 250 and works fine on all of them.
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.