aquarium stocking help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
decnep

PTrader: (1/100%)

aquarium stocking help

I have a 55gallon aquarium, lightly planted (working towards heavily) ,currently stocked with 4 angelfish, 15 black kahulis, 2 pairs of blue rams, 3 head and tail light tetras, 2 lamp eyes, 6 mystery snails, 6 cory cats, 5 glass blood fins and 1 alnino chocolate pleco.

i would like to re-stock with 3 discus, the 4 angels, the cories, loaches, pleco 10-15 bloodfins, 10-15 black phantom tetras, the rams, and 20-25 cardianls or neons tetras

anyone think think probloms could arise or would the new stocking be fine.
please and thank you.

P.S. sorry for any grammatical errors
decnep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well as most people will tell you to start off with, angels and neons or cards is nono. Quick breakfast. Some will say that if they grow together from a small size they will be fien but that wasnt true in my case. Also, I would actually keep discus alone or with maybe just the tets. (Are you planning on buying juvie discus or full grown? that will make a huge difference in how you will be able to do this) If you want quality discus then certainly do them alone, but thats a matter for one of the discus masters. Large discus will most likly also go after cards and or neons but thats also depends.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
mcclure91
Algae Grower

I would not keep discus and angels together. I know ppl do it but I have never seen healthy angels in a discus tank. The discus, especially when breeding will nip the fins off of angels they don't kill them but they do tear up there fins bad. My experience with this was at a lfs I worked at in Indianapolis it was a 1000 gallon discus tank that had a few adult angels. We took them out very shortly after adding. I would also agree with not using neon or cardinals. If you want a nice school of fish try a group of Harlequin Rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha) they dont look like much in the lfs but they looking amazing once grown out in a tank and they dont get real big but are big enough angels wont eat them
mcclure91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
mcclure91
Algae Grower

Also i would never do discus in a 55 gallon tank. Minimum I would attempt is a 75 there really is not much room for them in a 55 unless it was completely bare
mcclure91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclure91 View Post
Also i would never do discus in a 55 gallon tank. Minimum I would attempt is a 75 there really is not much room for them in a 55 unless it was completely bare
Yeah I agree on both. But i have kept breeding discus and angels together without many problems. And I think a 90 is really ideal for discus. Since its a good idea to keep at least 4-5 discus at a time, and as for harlequins lol.... I put about 20 in with some 3 inch angels and i thought no problem untill i was down to 16 within 15 minutes....
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Texex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)

I think the other issue being overlooked is that the number of fish you currently have is already close to the limits of what I would consider a more heavily stocked tank. With the addition of discus and the number of additional tetras and such, you are well over the recommended number of fish to keep in a tank. Having the tank heavily planted will help, but my guess is that you will have algae issues and health issues with the fish in that type of density.
Texex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree with Texex. Your current count is somewhere around 70 fish. That is quite a heavy load for a 55 gallon. Even with extra filtration you will have to be doing a lot of water changes to keep the fish healthy.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I agree with Texex and trapperworlves. In my 60G I have 2 angels, 7 hy-511 tetras, 3 sterbai cory cats, 1 BN pleco, and 2-3 Ottos. I'm not overstocked by any means, but having that many fish is a 55G is a lot!

I'd stick with 1 center piece fish, a schooling fish, BN pleco or ottos for algae, and you can throw in corys or bottom dwellers and have a great looking tank
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.