Soothing Shrimp's Mad Shrimp Gene Factory - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #76
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

I actually have a very similar situation going on as you with the opposite results. I had a dozen blue velvets in my 15 gallon that they grew up in. As they came into breeding age (only 2 weeks ago) i moved 8 of them into a deep blue 3b model, approx. 2.5 gallons and since i have 2 females berried, and the other 3 with saddles that are ready to berry any day. Params are identical as the 15. What all do you have in the 2.5g tanks? I have a lot of moss in mine which i did to help relieve stress in such a small tank and increase surface area for the shrimp to be able to move, hide, etc given the small dimensions. Can be difficult to find the shrimp in it all, but so far so good on the breeding end, i just get my updates on pregnancies during feeding time. Just my on going experience, we'll see where it goes!
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #77
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Good to know someone is having success, Duck. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm using the 2.5 from petsmart and has a much smaller footprint. I think I would have better success with a DB though. Wanna buy me one?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #78
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

Ahhh i have one of those! And i know what you mean. I have to say, i'm loving the deep blue tank. The 2.5 from petsmart is 14.99 with glass lid. I recently found a new LFS that has deep blues in stock regularly. The model i have was 19.99, with glass lid and also has two deviders to seperate the tank into thirds (excellent for one pair selective breeding) although i need to spend the time to mod the tank/glass as there are gaps on the side that shrimp could potentially squeeze through. anywho, they also have a 5b version with 5 possible compartments that they have been out of but i cant wait to get that tank! Great tanks for the price, sleek look, and so far doing very well for my shrimp. If you really are interested and cant find them anywhere, feel free to PM me and im sure we could work something out!
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #79
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

yeah my small tank the green tiger are in is a deep blue 3 betta model and to be honest i really kinda like the black silicone in it kinda makes it look like a picture lol. and soothing you can always use the small tanks for taking pics lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #80
mcclure91
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

hey soothing are you still working on a green neo i thought i read it somewhere on here that you were but i read so much on here i could be making it up lol
mcclure91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #81
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Not making it up, mcclure. heh I have my Nessies, but they have stalled for the moment.

Going to have to do some drastic culling to get the color to appear the way I want. Going to still stick with the tenner they are in and cull all but the 3 or so fems out except for about 1 or 2 males...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #82
mcclure91
Algae Grower

Where did your original nessies come from? What were you selectively breed when the green started to come out? Im very interested in having green neos (if you couldnt already tell) The thought of having shrimp that are almost healthy plant color seems awesome from a distance a tank full of green shrimp would appear as your plants were walking around lol
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #83
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

The more painted green my Nessies get, the darker they are. At this point I'd just like it if the traits continued on! Then I'll rework on the green paint. heh

It's a very long story, but originally fire reds threw some blue mutations. While breeding those blues, they produced green mutations and that is where my direction of breeding went. So originally you could say these came from fire reds.

A lot of my breeding comes from breeding mutations that I've kept or I've been able to buy.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #84
mcclure91
Algae Grower

Hmmm very interesting. So this leads to believe that the neos in the trade have very unstable genetics. I used to breed leopard geckos and corn snake there are tons of mutations in them as well and without knowing the genetics it was very hard to know the out come of what you might get since there are so many people breeding them. Is there any good sites or articles on shrimp genetics mostly interested in neos.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #85
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default existing color x new mutation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclure91 View Post
Hmmm very interesting. So this leads to believe that the neos in the trade have very unstable genetics. I used to breed leopard geckos and corn snake there are tons of mutations in them as well and without knowing the genetics it was very hard to know the out come of what you might get since there are so many people breeding them. Is there any good sites or articles on shrimp genetics mostly interested in neos.
No. The best stuff I've seen is right here on this website.

The genetic code behind shrimp isn't anywhere near unlocked yet.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #86
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

+1 "The genetic code behind shrimp isn't anywhere near unlocked yet. "

And unfortunately the breeders who have figured out what little they know keep the info to themselves. It would be so much easier to piece things together like a puzzle if people would just share what they know- but the closest you will find to that is right here on this forum. IMO no better on the net.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #87
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
+1 "The genetic code behind shrimp isn't anywhere near unlocked yet. "

And unfortunately the breeders who have figured out what little they know keep the info to themselves. It would be so much easier to piece things together like a puzzle if people would just share what they know- but the closest you will find to that is right here on this forum. IMO no better on the net.
im working on that.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #88
mcclure91
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by auban View Post
im working on that.
good to know some one is. Im so used to breeding reptiles that i have been spoiled on a wealth of information of each them and how there mutations work. with reptile breeding unless your line breeding you shop for genetics so such luck with the shrimps
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #89
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Shrimp have polygenetics as far as I've been able to gather, so that doesn't help either.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #90
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclure91 View Post
good to know some one is. Im so used to breeding reptiles that i have been spoiled on a wealth of information of each them and how there mutations work. with reptile breeding unless your line breeding you shop for genetics so such luck with the shrimps
i remember talking to Ben Cole, a florida ball python breeder, about reptile genetics... i think they are quite a bit less complex than shrimp genetics, but even so, quite complex. i remember him getting all excited when a friend of mine produced a tribal patterned red tailed boa. he had been trying for years to produce the morph through selective breeding, but it just wasn't to be. it ended up coming from a wild boa, which unfortunately died from birthing complications.

it seems the first of everything is always happy accidents, but mutations happen in shrimp far faster than they do in just about anything else i have seen.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote