How to build a co2 regulator [56k!] - Page 30
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #436
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 9,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
This is what I'm talkin about. I've googled gas tube an got something different. I looked in eBay also couldn't find it. This is my last try also u see how the compression nut is changed on the end furthest from the tank I tried to do this and my hose is so easy to pull out but by hand so I don't think it will hold.
I think you are looking for two parts.

For the part that you want to connect your tubing to, you will want an adapter with a hose barb fitting.

For the "gas tube" that you indicated to, you just need some metal tubing that will fit into the compression fittings; it is not a special piece.

The piping/tubing goes into the compression fittings, and the ferrules clamp/screw down onto the pipe/tubing to provide a tight seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
For the 24VDC adapter, what amp are we looking for? 500mA?
Check your post in the other thread for my answer.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #437
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\
 
PTrader: (107/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anderson, CA
Posts: 5,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Oh by the way Josh, they liked your Swagelok build.
Cool, that's awesome! Did you bust out your phone and say "Hey, check this out - there's this dude that made a Swagelok co2 regulator."
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #438
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
FlyingHellFish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,029
Default

Yes but not the last part. They were interested in what I was making so today I showed them the SMC solenoid which of course, is connected to your Swagelok regulator. They get the odd numbers of University kids asking for parts but never seen this. Now Swagelok thinks there a bunch of crazy fish keepers who have a lot of money to spend.

You guys ever seen Swagelok's promo posters? They're sort of like DIY projects but with a twist.

1. SuperSoaker with Gauges
2. Baby bottle with metering valve and Gauges
3. Lemonade stand with two big jars, gauges and valves, looks a lot like DIY Co2
__________________
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #439
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (28/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Haha yes, that was the build I was trying to copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I think you are looking for two parts.

For the part that you want to connect your tubing to, you will want an adapter with a hose barb fitting.

For the "gas tube" that you indicated to, you just need some metal tubing that will fit into the compression fittings; it is not a special piece.

The piping/tubing goes into the compression fittings, and the ferrules clamp/screw down onto the pipe/tubing to provide a tight seal.


Check your post in the other thread for my answer.
On closer inspection I see I had that connection already but mine leaked from two places. When I was buying the parts for it I knew it would leak where the metal tube was incerted an it did, I used some copper tubing. Any way to get a tighter fitting than that cuz I used Teflon tape too? What if I use a brass insert like those found with the little flare on the end of it?
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #440
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (28/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 725
Default Thanks!

I just wanna take a quic sec to Thank everyone here on this forum who helped me setup my CO2, my setups are not complete yet but there has been a weight lifted off my shoulders just knowing my plants are atleast gettin the right CO2. In the end all I wanna do is grow plants in a fish tank nothing more. This whole thing interests an fascinates me for some reason.
THANKS to Darkblade48,Oldpunk78,Mathman,Kevmo911,Bettatail,F lyinghellfish, and last but not least Jaggedfury.

Pics of the set ups I got for now.





Last edited by newbieplanter; 04-10-2013 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: More
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #441
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mathman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 364
Default How to build a co2 regulator [56k!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
I just wanna take a quic sec to Thank everyone here on this forum who helped me setup my CO2, my setups are not complete yet but there has been a weight lifted off my shoulders just knowing my plants are atleast gettin the right CO2. In the end all I wanna do is grow plants in a fish tank nothing more. This whole thing interests an fascinates me for some reason.
THANKS to Darkblade48,Oldpunk78,Mathman,Kevmo911,Bettatail,F lyinghellfish, and last but not least Jaggedfury.
We all try to help each other and that's what's awesome about this forum. I am also grateful for all those who help and aren't greedy with their knowledge. It is a wonderful hobby and passing knowledge from one person to the other will keep the passion alive.
Mathman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #442
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 9,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Now Swagelok thinks there a bunch of crazy fish keepers who have a lot of money to spend.
Same thing happened when I was placing an order through a Swagelok dealer (while I was working in a lab).

I needed some metering valve parts, and he thought it was for our N2/CO2 incubator, but when I told him, "no, it's for aquarium plants..." he responded "Oh...." and sounded a little surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
On closer inspection I see I had that connection already but mine leaked from two places. When I was buying the parts for it I knew it would leak where the metal tube was incerted an it did, I used some copper tubing. Any way to get a tighter fitting than that cuz I used Teflon tape too? What if I use a brass insert like those found with the little flare on the end of it?
You are not supposed to use teflon tape on those fittings. You need those "brass inserts" (properly called ferrules) to form a tight seal between the tube insert and the tubing itself.

You can purchase the ferrules either online or through your Swagelok distributor.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #443
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (87/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

I needed some metering valve parts, and he thought it was for our N2/CO2 incubator, but when I told him, "no, it's for aquarium plants..." he responded "Oh...." and sounded a little surprised

that is a good one.

Fabco is the only manufacture that aware of the low flow control needle valve that can be used in planted tank hobby, but unfortunately, fail to provide something that is affordable. The same price to pay for a fabco needle valve, prowl evil bay deep enough we can always find a much better swagelok metering valve, and occasionally something unusual, such as the Brooks instrument extremely high precision metering valve.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #444
AlanLe
Dude Where's Your CO2?
 
AlanLe's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 990
Default How to build a co2 regulator [56k!]

I went to a lfs and saw a guy who paid $140 for a Milwaukee regulator. It was a sad day :-)
__________________
http://s32.photobucket.com/user/onephattai/media/banners/alanle.png.html
AlanLe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #445
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (28/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 725
Default Floating NV

I got a Needle valve from ideal model 52-1-12 and I had the bubbles set at 2bps but it went lower somehow, I do have a hose barb from the NV to the tank that's the only thing I can think of that might be leaking. Here's a pic of the set up.

I know its kinda low tech but it gets pure CO2 to my tank.
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #446
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (28/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Same thing happened when I was placing an order through a Swagelok dealer (while I was working in a lab).

I needed some metering valve parts, and he thought it was for our N2/CO2 incubator, but when I told him, "no, it's for aquarium plants..." he responded "Oh...." and sounded a little surprised


You are not supposed to use teflon tape on those fittings. You need those "brass inserts" (properly called ferrules) to form a tight seal between the tube insert and the tubing itself.

You can purchase the ferrules either online or through your Swagelok distributor.
My needle valve came with the ferrules and I used them. It leaked.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 04-12-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: More
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #447
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (87/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
My needle valve came with the ferrules and I used them. It leaked.
the search function in the forum really help, and please do more reading, to build a good quality pressurized system with good parts, you need to do more homework and more attention to detail.
we can help, but you are the one building yourself a system, need to read and understand the basic so we don't have to spend time and posts just to repeat the answers for some questions that have been answered so many times in this forum.

search function help, and there are multiple related threads you can read, make sure you read enough.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #448
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (28/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
the search function in the forum really help, and please do more reading, to build a good quality pressurized system with good parts, you need to do more homework and more attention to detail.
we can help, but you are the one building yourself a system, need to read and understand the basic so we don't have to spend time and posts just to repeat the answers for some questions that have been answered so many times in this forum.

search function help, and there are multiple related threads you can read, make sure you read enough.
Yea this here is an old subject I don't care about anyway anytime I post u don't have to answer for everyone.
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #449
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bettatail's Avatar
 
PTrader: (87/98%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Yea this here is an old subject I don't care about anyway anytime I post u don't have to answer for everyone.
I want you to read more, so you can make something better.

BTW, 1/4 OD swagelok SS double ferrules, is 5000psi rating, if connected it right you wouldn't have jumped to the simple conclusion.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #450
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 9,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
My needle valve came with the ferrules and I used them. It leaked.
It is possible you installed them improperly.

Swagelok has a good PDF as well as animation on their website that explains the correct way to "Swage" (their terminology) pipes/tubes/tubing adapters so that they will be leak proof.

Following their instructions, I have not had a leak with any properly installed Swagelok equipment.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012