「R.I.P」My First Planted Tank - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #76
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I present you.....An Update!!! 3-10-13

First of all I spent 5 hours doing a "spring cleaning" on everything: Cleaned filters, trimmed, wiped the glass, etc. The filter was in a disgusting state when I opened it, now I know that I have to clean it more often. I also added ADA Bio-Rio, for that reason the tank's water is a bit cloudy, but should clear up in a few days. Other than that, time to talk about the tank:

I am starting to get that nice glosso carpet, the trick was careful trimming .

Amano shrimp

I took a few shots yesterday morning when I realized that there was a bit of sunlight leaking through our windows into the aquarium. Enjoy!

I never noticed how much texture and detail this rock has until yesterday

Usual FTS and another angle:

You probably noticed I did some stuff

Basically I mowed all the crypt's crowns. I was simply curious how they will grow back since they are not really growing into the form that I expected, so probably a restart method is good. I know it will take probably a few months for it to grow back but it should be worth the wait.

Also, I did not take out the hemianthus, just trimmed it REALLY short. This was my first time truly ever trimming a well grown bunch of stem plants, so I just kinda want to see what happens if I trimmed it low.

I know everything looks bare now, but the point of this aquarium is to experiment and experience planted tanks, to learn how things grow and react to factors such as increase in nutrient dosing (yeah, did that too).

What do you think everyone? Anything I need to change?
iter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #77
iter
Planted Member

I just some maintenance pics .

My water supply

Some other shots:

FTS:

I pulled out all the ludwigia on the right and replanted them while taking out dead stuff. Ludwigia arcuata is now my new background plant .
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #78
iter
Planted Member

Well, my dad just came back from Taiwan and got me a little something for a surprise:

It is a (not broken) Mr. Aqua Spiral CO2 diffuser. They are actually REALLY good for $20; making extremely small bubbles that don't rise to the surface easily. The reason that they get horrible ratings in stores like MarineDepot is because they always get broken during delivery. So lucky me !
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #79
iter
Planted Member

Well, my first CO2 disaster . The fish are floating in the left back corner (isn't visible in the picture). After about 2 hours with the tank like this everything turned back to normal.

The cause of this: Yesterday I was testing out the maximum CO2 I could add into the tank in the afternoon, where the CO2 turned off after about an hour I turned it up. I forgot to turn it down and I left early in the morning so I wasn't able to monitor the CO2. Came back 6 hours later to this.

Commencing Operation Aeration:

Thankfully no casualties or damage to fauna .
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #80
iter
Planted Member

Update- 4/3/13

Well first thing off, I trimmed the glosso (probably a bit too much). Unlike the first time I trimmed, this time there was an underlying layer of stems on the bottom so the plants are still alive .

Through trial and error, I PLEDGE TO MASTER GLOSSO TRIMMING THIS YEAR!!!

Other than that, I got a HYDOR KORALIA!!! The model is the one with 240 gph. So far it is working great, has the perfect amount of flow for my application, which is for water to reach the other side of the tank. My filter only pushes the water from one end of the tank to the other, so the Hydor completes the cycle.
Many people review that the Hydor 240 is too weak for even nano tanks, but don't confuse a reefer's situation with ours. The Hydor 240 is capable of moving water across a 90cm without much bending of the plants on the other side. I will recommend this to all who's tanks are around 90cm in length. Any longer, then its effect diminishes; any shorter then the plants are going to really bend a lot.

Everything else is looking fine with the exception of the presence of Blue-green algae. It's not like its a huge mat like you see when you search for it on Google Images but there is a significant amount in isolated spots throughout the tank. If you look at the FTS you can see across the left side's bottom at the glosso the faint blue-green color.

How do you get rid of it? A blackout will do great but I am afraid it will do more harm than good (especially to the glosso at this post-trimming stage). I need help!

Well here are the pictures:

Right after the trim

After 1 week

Hydor Koralia

FTS on 4/3/13

BTW for those who didn't notice, the Venturi pump for co2 is back! WHY? Cause I broke the glass one .......Planning on getting a GLA Atomic diffuser.

Last edited by iter; 04-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: BGA
Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #81
iter
Planted Member

Weekly update: 4/6/13

I finally got a Kent Proscraper and let me just say: IT IS AWESOME

I finally got the back glass panel a thorough cleaning for the first time, since previously I always uprooted the stem plants when I try clean it with an algae pad, so I gave up. Even after 2 months of GDA, GSA, and some filamentous algae build-up, the scraper did its thing

Meanwhile the glosso is recovering pretty good, the tank will look much better by next week.

Here's just a pic of the Hemianthus (with a tip I accidently pulled off):

Overall FTS:

As you can see, I removed the Hydor Koralia due to too much flow. I got it originally because my filter wasn't putting enough flow. I found out it was due to a small clog, so when I fixed it everything was in a whirlwind. But my short experience with the wavemaker was a positive one, would definitely use one in the future if needed.

Last edited by iter; 04-13-2013 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: pics
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #82
javajive1981
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: My First Planted Tank- 4/6/13 Update

It looks really nice.
javajive1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #83
iter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajive1981 View Post
It looks really nice.
Thank you! It means a lot to me .
Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #84
AguaTropical
Planted Member

I like the way you've kept it simple, but also intriguing. I also like how you aren't scared to take some risks and experiment...I'm sure you're learning a lot that way lol good work

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #85
iter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaTropical View Post
I like the way you've kept it simple, but also intriguing. I also like how you aren't scared to take some risks and experiment...I'm sure you're learning a lot that way lol good work
Thank you very much! I just have to say, experimenting and taking risks is not easy and really ticks you off sometimes. Take my glosso for an example: I CANNOT FIND A WAY FOR IT TO STAY HORIZONTAL !!!

Every time I trim, it always end up growing upwards no matter how strong my light is.......now I am mainly experimenting with trimming techniques. But the problem with doing stuff like that is once that scissor snips, there is no going back. And so far every time I snip I always do something wrong .

But this how I learn things: to get pissed off by unsatisfactory results and then getting the motivation from that to find the solution .
Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #86
iter
Planted Member

Special news! Plant acquired: Alteranthera reineckii "Cardinalis"

Let me first make this clear first: This is not a symptom of collectoritis (yet ); I was simply sick of the left side being all empty and found 2 packs of tissue cultured Alteranthera so I went why not? I then thought more about it on the way home; the wide red leaves of the Alteranthera would make a beautiful contrast with the HM!

Enough of the chatter, here are some pics:

Official packaging:

Took it out:

Separated it while taking the gel and some dead things off (I am really thorough with plant preparation, took me about 2-3 hours):

Planted!

I have never dealt with so much plant density before, this is going to be AWESOME!!! Sadly it takes about 2 weeks before they kick off.....

I cut the Heminathus a bit so it doesn't overshadow the plantlets. I replanted the HM stems to make the already-thick bunch thicker. I'm going to trim it when the Ludwigia reaches the surface.

I also realized that I am getting a lot more skilled with my forceps, right now I can use 2 forceps to tie knots and ties . I also found out that when planting plants using forceps, it is necessary to use the right angle, with the right force, with the right release time, and the proper opening angle of the forceps. It takes some time for me to warm up before I can plant effectively.

Oh and the FTS (don't mind the floating rotalas, they are going to an emersed setup soon):
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #87
iter
Planted Member

Update 4-13-13:

Nothing much really . However there is one thing notable: The aquarium is now at a state of pretty good balance. Algae issues are non-significant, and the plants are growing really well. The Alternanthera that I planted 3 days ago are still sending roots into the soil. After they get rooted then they will start their crazy growth; probably in one more week.

I am planning to get a GLA Atomic Inline diffuser once they are in stock, really sick of that venturi pump (though pretty effective).

Going to try to make the glosso go horizontal by experimenting on trimming techniques. Waiting for a couple of more days to see if trimming works. I am also going to be trimming the HM when most of the bottom crowns are higher than the driftwood.

One last thing: After my trip to Japan, I will remodel the back of right side. Basically I am going to try to bring the aquarium back to its original concept that was pretty much destroyed. Since now I can actually grow plants, I will make sure that the tank will be as I imagined it to be .
Another reason to do this after Japan: I want the Alternanthera to fill in completely so I can determine the balance of the scape so I can then properly remodel the right.
The actual remodeling isn't going to be too different than what the tank looks like now. I am simply going to make a thick background with 3 species of stems (right now Rotala colorata and the Ludwigia are currently on the list) and then replace the Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green" with Cryptocoryne wendtii "Red" (or Mi Oya). The Crypt "Bronze" will stay as is.

No more delay, here are the pics:

Glosso-

Hemianthus-

Ludwigia-

The Ludwigia's crown -

Althernanthera (nothing really changed on the surface, but I do see more roots)-

Amano shrimp-

And the FTS for this week-

Try comparing last week's FTS to this week's, pretty big difference. Feeling so good that I am actually growing plants not algae
Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #88
iter
Planted Member

Got lazy and forgot about this journal lol.

Anyways..........

I just got back from my vacation to Japan (will dedicate a thread to post aquarium-related pictures, Takashi Amano's giant Sumida Aquarium aquascapes are also included). It trip took over a month so there was need for heavy "save the tank" measures. Will get to getting photos up soon when the tank stabilizes.

but that is not all.......

I managed to set up an emersed aquatic plant "greenhouse" (It's a 10 gallon tank ). Nevertheless it operated well like any other good set ups; there was growth, there was algae, and there was stinky water.

Supply list-
-10 gallon tank (Should be Aqueon)
-Marineland glass cover for 10 gallon aquariums
-Net pots from Urban Sunshine (Hydroponic store)
-Clay pots (Home Depot)
-Rockwool
-Miracle Gro Sphagum Peat Moss soil
-Gravel
-A screen used for pools (Used pieces)
-Found some Miracle Gro Tomato Fert thing (I just threw about 2 teaspoons into the water in the tank)
-The pressurized spray thing used for spraying pesticides etc. (I also added some of the Tomato fert into the water)

Plant list (Most are from my tank)-

-Anubias barteri var. nana
-Glossostigma elatinoides
-Rotala sp.
-Rotala wallichii
-Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
-Bolbitis heteroclita
-Hemianthus micranthemoides
-Ludwigia arcuata

Pics (In order from the list)-

Anubias barteri var. nana-

Before trip-

After trip-

Glossostigma elatinoides

After trip (Deleted the "before trip" by accident)-

Rotala sp.

Before trip-

After trip-

Rotala wallichii

Before trip-

After trip-

Love this one-

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'

Before trip-

After trip-

Bolbitis heteroclita

Before trip-

After trip-

Hemianthus micranthemoides

*Pics coming*

Ludwigia arcuata

*Pics coming*

That is all until I get the tank up and running again.

Some notes:
-I got an Inline Atomic CO2 diffuser
-I got a Do!aqua Pincette Small
-Alternanthera reineckii 'Cardinalis' got HUGE
-Glosso, HM, and Ludwigia arcuata was pulled out and replanted
Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #89
iter
Planted Member

Now finally for the aquarium update ------ 6/15/13

This updates shows comparison between major changes that was done due to clean-up after I came back from Japan. So, I'll simply use pictures to talk .

The day I came back:

GSA

The next day as I cleaned things up (The GSA took FOREVER to scrape off):

Yeah it was a bit blurry....

Today, 1 week later:

Got something that took care of that stupid surface film forever:

As a side note, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is the Ista Surface Skimmer. Even though it is about $6 more than the more common Tom's Surface Skimmer, it is, first of all, much shorter than its counterpart. Plus it has a nice design as well as color. As with anything it needs tweaking to get it working efficiently, but it is definitely not a waste of money. The aquarium now has better gas exchange capabilities than before, and light penetrating to the plants without any obstacles.

Inline CO2:

One last thing
Anyone have any suggestions of what to do with this, it has gotten so big that I am using the name markers as support for it:

Rotala wallichii

Since I want to have some of the rotala inside the aquarium, how would you transform the plant into immersed form? Do you simply just stick it in the dirt and wait? Also, is is possible to trim it and then replant the tops like its immersed form? Anyone who has an answer, please tell me, I don't want to do anything rash before getting some background information.

Last edited by iter; 06-19-2013 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: Delete
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #90
iter
Planted Member

I think it is time to start thinking about.............................

FISH!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking of a large group of small schooling fish that will grow to the maximum of about 2.5 cm.

So, anyone have any suggestions?