Having an issue with my ceramic disc
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mumford's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 478
Default

Having an issue with my ceramic disc


So I got a new diffuser because it appears my old one decided it hated its life and died.

Good news is I got a new one! Even better news is that it works! Problem is that the stupid disc only spits out bubbles from one side, rather than misting.

I was advised to keep my PSI low as possible to save CO2 so it's set at just below 20psi and I'm pumping out 1 bubble per second now.

It seems like its a little in debate. It's either poor quality (although it was from GLA) or clogged OR it could be not high enough in pressure.

Any thoughts?

PS - it's an aqua-up.com or up-aqua.com nano diffuser from GLA

- Mumford
__________________
Fluval Spec V - Growout Tank

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
mfurufuru
Planted Member
 
mfurufuru's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: oahu
Posts: 243
Default

how big are the bubbles coming from the side? my diffuser was bubbling from the side with bubbles bigger then this . so I dried my diffuser and put some super glue around the part that was leaking. That seems to have fixed my problem.
mfurufuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 759
Default

the gas is finding the path of least resistance. It just so happens that the pores on one side of your disk are harder to pass through than the other side. I would imagine you can bump the PSI up and you may start seeing bubbles on the other side, but then you might be using too much CO2 or in my case, the small bubbles came out so fast they combined into a larger bubble and reduced its ability to dissolve readily.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 403
Default

bump up the pressure. Keeping the pressure low isn't saving you anything. You need to get a certain volume of gas into the water, period. Low pressure just means you need a higher flow rate to get the same volume. If anything, you're losing gas through inefficient diffusion if the bubbles are larger than they need to be due to low pressure behind the ceramic disc. Try increasing the pressure and closing the needle valve to compensate.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mumford's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 478
Default Having an issue with my ceramic disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurufuru View Post
how big are the bubbles coming from the side? my diffuser was bubbling from the side with bubbles bigger then this . so I dried my diffuser and put some super glue around the part that was leaking. That seems to have fixed my problem.
Seems to be a standard fix. Any recommendations?


- Mumford
__________________
Fluval Spec V - Growout Tank

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 9,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
Seems to be a standard fix. Any recommendations?


- Mumford
In terms of super glue? Any kind of cyanoacrylate glue will work.
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mumford's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 478
Default Having an issue with my ceramic disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
the gas is finding the path of least resistance. It just so happens that the pores on one side of your disk are harder to pass through than the other side. I would imagine you can bump the PSI up and you may start seeing bubbles on the other side, but then you might be using too much CO2 or in my case, the small bubbles came out so fast they combined into a larger bubble and reduced its ability to dissolve readily.
I'll try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
bump up the pressure. Keeping the pressure low isn't saving you anything. You need to get a certain volume of gas into the water, period. Low pressure just means you need a higher flow rate to get the same volume. If anything, you're losing gas through inefficient diffusion if the bubbles are larger than they need to be due to low pressure behind the ceramic disc. Try increasing the pressure and closing the needle valve to compensate.
Good call on that, didn't even think of that.

Is it safe to bump it up to 30?


- Mumford
__________________
Fluval Spec V - Growout Tank

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 759
Default

Are the bubbles coming from one side of the disk or the gap where the ceramic meets the glass?
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mumford's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 478
Default Having an issue with my ceramic disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
Are the bubbles coming from one side of the disk or the gap where the ceramic meets the glass?
Looks like the gap.

Kicked it up to 30psi and no change. Looks like superglue is on my list


- Mumford
__________________
Fluval Spec V - Growout Tank

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mumford's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 478
Default Having an issue with my ceramic disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
In terms of super glue? Any kind of cyanoacrylate glue will work.
Thanks!


- Mumford
__________________
Fluval Spec V - Growout Tank

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012