marineland aquarium sealant and toxicity
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

marineland aquarium sealant and toxicity

Anybody know what happens if you use some of this silicone prior to the 24 cure time. I used a bit to cover a sharp edge of a SS mesh and only let it cure for 10 hours or so. Smell dissipated but was still noticeable. I used a pretty small amount but just wondering if I should be concerned. Thanks!
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

probably fine? I've put recently glued PVC pipes onto a tank after they sat for less than an hour due to an emergency canister change
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Alright thanks, will update if I see shrimp or fish losses haha.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Silicone skins over in hours, but in thicker applications it does need anywhere from 24 hours to 7 days to fully cure. In a tiny application like yours, you probably wouldn't see any effects at all. The nasty smell is Acetic Acid. Breaking the skin of a thicker application before full cure and you release it.

PVC cement is a totally different animal. It basically "chemically melts" the two surfaces together and it's water tight in a matter of minutes. In situations where serious pressure is applied, like in household water supply, I'd give it the recommended cure time. But virtually no hobby application will ever see that kind pressure.
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
Anybody know what happens if you use some of this silicone prior to the 24 cure time.
Yep, it actually cures faster. I know some exhibit manufacturers who put it on dry seams (must be dry to hold) then spritz the outside with water to make it cure faster. Fun experiment: mix a full tube of silicone with a tsp of water (and 1 drop of food coloring, so you can see the mix), mix well, and 'paint' onto a surface you want to mold. Because the water is mixed into the silicone, it cures in ~20 minutes and it will not stick permanently to anything; really, it peels right off. Nice quick way to make a mold of bark or a rock surface, which you can then cast with concrete, or I even did my sons footprints--literally stuck his feet in a pan of caulk then poured plaster of Paris into the mold. Fun.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.