FYI on fabco, a new site for parts, TMI & what PSI?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

FYI on fabco, a new site for parts, TMI & what PSI?

So I'm a little miffed that Fabco just cancelled the order I placed last week. No information other than that.

I remember reading a thread somewhere regarding difficulty in getting the nv-55-18 from Fabco, but I thought (hoped) it was because they were ordering from Australia. Guess not.

So, I'm moving on. I've got all my co2 parts in hand except the metering/needle valve and check valve. My brother-in-law is an engineer, and put me onto one of the places he uses for all their parts; http://www.mcmaster.com

Awesome site, lots and lots of stuff. One might say too much. Definitely too much information! As I'm looking for a check-valve, I'm looking at where it specifies the PSI required to open the valve - some are 1psi, some 2psi, there was one that was 0.3psi, but it wasn't an optimal choice for reasons that I've forgotten (edit: it's not npt).

Anybody know at what PSI we're operating at in the x# of bubbles per second??

Last edited by WheeledGoat; 04-08-2013 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: remembered the reason the 0.3psi unit was no good
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

BPS is flow rate, regardless of pressure.

PSI is resistance to flow. I can run almost 0 PSI with an open ended air line at 100 BPS, or I can run 2 BPS to an atomic diffuser with 30 PSI. Alone, those two numbers are mutually independent.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Sugardaddy1979
Sic em

PTrader: (12/100%)

Working pressure could range from 10 to 40 depending on the diffuser used. I try to use check valves with a cracking pressure of 1 or less. Keeps the bubble count more stable.
Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

I should have clarified - my co2 will be going into an inline reactor... a fairly low-resistance situation (not like I'm pushing it to a diffuser that's a foot underwater or anything).

for all I know, the reactor might actually create a small suction in the airline - just hoping to glean some knowledge from those with a similar setup, instead of getting a check valve that's gonna make the pressure build before releasing several bubbles at once.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hah - funny follow-up to my post here:

3 days after I got that curt email from Fabco that my order was cancelled, I got another email that my order was placed again and also shipped!

Too bad that during those 3 days I had purchased an Ideal needle valve.

I understand that Fabco is more of a commercial supplier, and fine-tuned customer oriented retail sales is not their strong suit, but I'm still left pretty irritated. But, as is often the case, there may be a plan in the stars. Maybe this will serve as a good backup one day when the Ideal valve fails.

*sigh*
Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
Hah - funny follow-up to my post here:

3 days after I got that curt email from Fabco that my order was cancelled, I got another email that my order was placed again and also shipped!

Too bad that during those 3 days I had purchased an Ideal needle valve.

I understand that Fabco is more of a commercial supplier, and fine-tuned customer oriented retail sales is not their strong suit, but I'm still left pretty irritated. But, as is often the case, there may be a plan in the stars. Maybe this will serve as a good backup one day when the Ideal valve fails.

*sigh*
I would just e-mail them again, saying that you want a refund issued, with your explanation above.

They should not have charged your credit card in that manner anyway.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're right, I should be due a refund if I so choose. But then I'd have to pay return shipping, and box it back up, and watch my credit card for the return balance, blah blah blah.

I'm just going with the flow on this one. Without sounding like too much of a hippy, I can't help but suspect that when odd things like this happen it's part of a bigger plan. Maybe my current valve will fail, maybe I'll sell it to a fellow hobbyist in need a year from now, for a discount (after I've forgotten how much I paid). Just gonna float down the river of life, man!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
sukebe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
I'm just going with the flow on this one. Without sounding like too much of a hippy, I can't help but suspect that when odd things like this happen it's part of a bigger plan. Maybe my current valve will fail, maybe I'll sell it to a fellow hobbyist in need a year from now, for a discount (after I've forgotten how much I paid). Just gonna float down the river of life, man!
I like your style.