DIY CO2 Reactor - Did I set this up correctly?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
res34
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY CO2 Reactor - Did I set this up correctly?

So this morning I finally got together everything I needed in order to make a CO2 reactor for my planted 10 gallon. After combining 2 cups of sugar and yeast (yeast activated in a small cup of warm water) in an empty soda bottle, I put together the tubing and such before hot gluing around the tube basing on the inside and outside of the bottle caps involved.

I noticed that water was coming back up the tube for the smaller bottle (used for cleansing CO2) and back into the reactor. Did slowly go down, though if I tried to help it along by squeezing the reactor the water would just come back up after bubbling a bit.

Deep Blue Professional High Performance Airstone that I'm using (I've heard that airstones will work as CO2 reactors produce enough pressure to force CO2 through them).

Do I have this check valve set up right or do I have it in backwards? Left side is connected to the reactor while right is connected to airstone.

I've only been able to get bubbles out of the airstone when I squeeze both bottles at once. Should this set up be working by now or does it normally take a day or so to start up?
res34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
JasterMake
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default DIY CO2 Reactor - Did I set this up correctly?

I can't tell from the pictures but the tube from the yeast bottle should go to the bottom of the small bottle. And the other tube should should not touch the water in the Small bottle.

If the water was warm enough.. when it cooled it might draw some water back slightly. Just loosen the top of the Yeast bottle for a little while and let yeast get going. Then tighten and wait. It can take a while for the pressure to build enough to push through the one way valve.

Good luck
JasterMake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
res34
Algae Grower

With the smaller bottle, the tube coming from the reactor is in the water (I'll lower it further if I can, though is being only halfway down fine?), while the one leaving is above the water.

I'll try loosening the cap a bit and seeing if that helps.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
JasterMake
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default DIY CO2 Reactor - Did I set this up correctly?

Half way is fine.
JasterMake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by res34 View Post
With the smaller bottle, the tube coming from the reactor is in the water (I'll lower it further if I can, though is being only halfway down fine?), while the one leaving is above the water.

I'll try loosening the cap a bit and seeing if that helps.

Thanks.
If its still not working, take the bubble counter out an just run a line from the mix bottle to the air stone. Also u have to have an air tight seal the best way to get it is use a smaller drill bit an drill the cap from the inside out and then your gonna have to fold the hose or creese it to get it in the hole u want it hard to get then u know u have an air tight fit. If u need pics let me know ill show u what I had set up. I've been doing it like that for 4-5 months now and my plants are rediculous I've seen things change in a days time.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

The arrow on the check valve points in the direction you want your CO2 to flow. If you can squeeze the reactor and get bubbles out of the airstone, you have it right.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
res34
Algae Grower

I wouldn't mind to see the pics.

For now I'll attach the reactor directly to the check valve and see if that works.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I wouldn't mind to see the pics.

For now I'll attach the reactor directly to the check valve and see if that works.
If u sit the bottle higher than the tank no check valve needed cuz water can't flow upwards
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
res34
Algae Grower

Thing seems to be working now. The airstone releases a small stream of tiny bubbles every few seconds.

Now I've heard of people mentioning that the reactor should be shock every once in a while. Is this necessary and does it help CO2 production?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thing seems to be working now. The airstone releases a small stream of tiny bubbles every few seconds.

Now I've heard of people mentioning that the reactor should be shock every once in a while. Is this necessary and does it help CO2 production?
Just let it run the course, it makes the CO2 a little faster for a few seconds then goes back to the little bubbles I think u wastes the mix then u have to make more.