Best Fish Stores in Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > North Carolina

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
AppalachianFeet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best Fish Stores in Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte?

I live in Greenville, SC and am hoping to find some great quality fish stores within a 2 hour drive of me. Any stores in Asheville (1 hour away) Hickory (2 hours away), or Charlotte (2 hours away)?

I'd be willing to drive as far as Raleigh (4 hours away) if the store was incredible.
Hospital tank w/1 decade-old, indestructible horse-faced loach named "Seabiscuit."
http://www.appalachianfeet.com/
AppalachianFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc

Here are a couple you should look into.

Charlotte - Very big store, prices are a bit high, plants normally are not great.
Fintastic

Hickory - Not a huge store but lots of really neat stuff you wont find anywhere else. Plants are ok also.
The Fish Warehouse
Wingsdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Galvatron898

Fintastic is very big and the staff is pretty friendly, lot's of fish but as wingsdlc said prices are up there. Not sure if Gastonia is not on you travel route but there is a smaller place called http://www.wetpetsgas.com/ Nice collection of fish, good prices but the staff ok. we have gotten most of our fish and supplies from WetPets.
Galvatron898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
jtfromcharlotte
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I wouldn't recommend Fintastic. I, along with other people I know, have had nearly 0% success in keeping ANYTHING from Fintastic alive. On the other hand, I rarely lose anything from Petsmart.
jtfromcharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Stormtracker
Algae Grower

I too have not been impressed with Fintastic lately. I went this past weekend looking for angelfish to finish stocking my tank and every single one was covered in ich. If you are a fan of Cory's they do have a few species that I have not been able to find anywhere. I like that hickory store too but it is small and wouldn't drive more than an hour to get there. Call ahead if you are looking for something specific.
Stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fintastic is about 1/2 mile from my office, so I stop by quite a bit. They are constantly getting in new (sometimes rare) fish and some are sold out quickly. I haven't bought any fish from them, but do have snails and shrimp from them that are doing fine. That's disappointing to hear about the angel fish. It's a nice fish store, but a little on the high side.
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Update on plants from Fintastic:
they got rid of Alex (plant guy that was also really good with cichlids) for whatever reason, so now a younger guy is handling the planted area of the store. He's definitely got it looking a lot better than what I was used to seeing, though.
There are still quite a few "typical" plants there, but he's been bringing in some cool new (and healthier-looking) plants.

With that being said, their prices are still a little on the steep side, in my opinion. But at least they got rid of those Red tinfoil barb-looking fish and cichlids that were at the end of the plant aisle. That whole bowfront tank was infested with something awful, like red spot disease or some other ulcers (those fish looked bad when I first saw them and then terrible like 3 weeks later).
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

I've had decent luck from them, but they aren't convenient to me anymore (moved from Dilworth / Southend out to Arysly), so I don't drop by often.

They have the best plants around that I've seen (which is decent), but that doesn't say much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfromcharlotte View Post
I wouldn't recommend Fintastic. I, along with other people I know, have had nearly 0% success in keeping ANYTHING from Fintastic alive. On the other hand, I rarely lose anything from Petsmart.
csf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I bought all of the plants in my 10 g from contrastive and they are flourishing. I did pay an arm and a leg for them tho lol. If your close to app (WCU all day!) in sylva NC is where I sell all of my plants and snails too. It's called fish and stuff I believe pretty neat store guy breeds the most amazing guppies I've ever seen an I keep him stocked with all if his plants and snails so you can check his place out too. Guess you live near Charlotte and go to app?

Selling Red Cherry Shrimp! Message for details!!!
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
GlennR
Algae Grower

I'm just getting back into keeping an aquarium, but years ago there was an impressive shop in downtown Mooresville. I can't recall the name, but does anybody know if it's still open?

I live in the mtns, near Boone now. Just set up a 29, and hoping to have a 90 or 120 with Discus next Fall.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
rasyfan81

Since you mentioned the Raleigh area, there is a beautiful store called the fish room in Cary. There is also a location in Raleigh as well but I haven't been there yet.
rasyfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Weagle

If you're in Charlotte, Pet Supplies Plus at Carmel Commons Shopping Center (Hwy 51 near Pineville) has a small, but good selection of fish and plants at good prices. He orders every Monday, gets new stock on Wednesdays and will custom order if you need something he doesn't stock.
Weagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc

Also think about getting involved with the WNCAS group in Hickory. Have good contacts goes miles.
Wingsdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
MWebee
Algae Killer

PTrader: (10/100%)

Reefczar in Fort Mill isn't bad. He can order anything you'd like and has a lot of driftwood and plants.
MWebee is online now   Reply With Quote