How to adjust filter in Evolve 4?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
MamaFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

How to adjust filter in Evolve 4?

Well, after setting up my 25, I decided I needed a shrimp tank. The Evolve 4 was on sale at Petsmart for $45, so I decided I needed an early Mother's Day present Anyway, until I acquire some Cherry Shrimp and while the tank cycles, I have a couple of platy fry and a few small pond snails calling it home.
I noticed that the flow is super fast- my snails are already being sucked up and the platy babies seem to be struggling to swim against the current. I keep seeing people saying they they pulled out the pump and adjusted the flow lower, but I can't seem to find any such adjustment on my pump (the super vague instructions we not helpful, lol). So how do I adjust the flow?
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I don't think there's a way to adjust the power of the pump. You can add sponges and other medias to help reduce the overall flow. I'd add a sponge to block the snails from going all the way through the inlet slots.
You can also poke wholes in the plastic tubing that connects the pump to the outflow.
Nikon Pimp #41
xev11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

i actually just got one also. if you unhook the pump and hose that connects to the outlet inside the tank. then pull out the pump and there should be a lever right there its very hard to miss. i turned mine all the way down before i even turned it on and its still very strong. i had to put some sponge in front of it so it wont blow my betta around.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

You have to pull out the pump to adjust it. Turn it all the way down. At full it is easily a 100GPH pump. At low, 55GPH.

There are several methods to reduce the flow.some combine ways to reduce the output, as well as disperse it better.

Someone has a good picture view of a way they used to make the filtration better as well, which I completely agree with. I do not know if they used a 8 or a 4, but I want to try it because it is way better. The mere fact that it forces the pump to draw water from the bottom is a plus, as the current way it is setup there is no way to force all water through the filter.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
MamaFish
Planted Member

Is the piece yellow? Because I see the + and -, but it won't turn. Grr, I feel so stupid!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

yes i think it was yellow. mine slid very easily but like i said i didnt have it running at all yet. id get a screwdriver and make it slide over
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
MamaFish
Planted Member

ah-ha! Via Youtube, I have discovered mine is broken The little lever has snapped off. Back to Petsmart it goes!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Once you get a replacement, turn it all the way down, angle the outflow nozzle up and towards the tank wall, and cram a piece of coarse sponge on the nozzle. I used a white Fluval sponge from Petco, but anything will do. That should cut the flow way down. My Betta has no trouble with it.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Sharpchick
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Once you get a replacement, turn it all the way down, angle the outflow nozzle up and towards the tank wall, and cram a piece of coarse sponge on the nozzle. I used a white Fluval sponge from Petco, but anything will do. That should cut the flow way down. My Betta has no trouble with it.
^^This.

Or muzzle the sucker with a piece of a knee high hose. If you cut off the band, there's enough elasticity to use the rest of it like a rubber band looped over the outflow twice.

I still can't figure out why they put that particular pump in there.
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
^^This.

Or muzzle the sucker with a piece of a knee high hose. If you cut off the band, there's enough elasticity to use the rest of it like a rubber band looped over the outflow twice.

I still can't figure out why they put that particular pump in there.
At it's lowest setting, it is appropriate for many needs. For anyone looking to keep a Betta, no LOL.

I think the other weakness is the filter. Yes, it works, and is easy to replace. But the design doesn't really force the water through the filter.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
MamaFish
Planted Member

Well, I'm planning on shrimp, not a betta, but I don't think they would appreciate a whirlwind either. I plan on packing that sucker full of sponges!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
Sharpchick
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
At it's lowest setting, it is appropriate for many needs. For anyone looking to keep a Betta, no LOL...
I've thought about that pretty often.

Which/whose needs are met in a 4 gallon tank with a 55 gph blast of water coming around 9 inch tank walls?

Any fish small enough to be appropriate for that tank would be swept away, wouldn't it?
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
I've thought about that pretty often.

Which/whose needs are met in a 4 gallon tank with a 55 gph blast of water coming around 9 inch tank walls?

Any fish small enough to be appropriate for that tank would be swept away, wouldn't it?
I don't know if those numbers are right, but what I gathered from someone else who supposedly worked on designing it.

If it is 55 GPH, it adheres to what most people buy for filters. How many people have 30 gallon tanks with 250-300 GPH filters? Granted, not blasting out of a nozzle LOL.

I won't lie though, it is not the best design LOL. Certainly could have been toned down a bit, and a few other design improvements would be nice.