low tech forum to be congradulated
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
cornhusker
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

low tech forum to be congradulated

Just a thought on this particular forum; someones great idea.we need to get as many newcomers to this hobby as possible.the consensus from the local fish stores is that this hobby of fish keeping might be on the down swing.the younger generation has other priorities that out weigh this hobby.it does not have to be a highly suffisticated setup to enjoy keeping fish and plants.there is no such thing as a stupid question. co2ing it is great if you can afford it and also have time and a little luck on your side. ladies and gentlemen keep up the good work on this forum. regards,cornhusker
cornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhusker
Just a thought on this particular forum; someones great idea.we need to get as many newcomers to this hobby as possible.the consensus from the local fish stores is that this hobby of fish keeping might be on the down swing.the younger generation has other priorities that out weigh this hobby.it does not have to be a highly suffisticated setup to enjoy keeping fish and plants.there is no such thing as a stupid question. co2ing it is great if you can afford it and also have time and a little luck on your side. ladies and gentlemen keep up the good work on this forum. regards,cornhusker
I think many old timers who are CO2 bias should try the non CO2 low tech method out.

Are ya scared?
Yellow?
Chicken?
Think you cannot do it?
Can't scape?

Look at the older Dutch tank competitions, they did it.
the methods are reproducibles and fairly flexible in most respects(nutrient ranges etc are as wide as CO2 entriched tanks without issues, but uptake is slower and thus things don't go to pot fast if you negelect things)

Regards,
Tom tongue in cheek Barr
Old 08-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain
I think many old timers who are CO2 bias should try the non CO2 low tech method out.

Are ya scared?
Yellow?
Chicken?
Think you cannot do it?
Can't scape?

Tom tongue in cheek Barr
Yes, based on several years of trying.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
quilting chick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm going to be using co2, but still on the lower-tech side, lower-light side. The big advantage to me is ease of maintenance. A planted tank simply keeps the chemistry equilibium to a minimum. Better water quality, less work. I can't imagine having to prune my plants all the time. I have no desire for plants on steroids.

Terri
quilting chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 AM   #5
magicmagni
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am very pleased with the non-Co2 low light tank that I set up. I am always amazed that the plant can grow without Co2 and high light. It takes time though! It has been the most easy tank that I have ever maintained and the plants grow great! All the fancy Co2 and bright lights are not needed to grow many of the plants.

Most new folks may not be aware of this fact and think that it's an expensive hobby to get into, well any hobby can be I suppose. The fact is that anyone can get into this hobby for less then $100 easy.
magicmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:05 AM   #6
kimo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

"Most new folks may not be aware of this fact and think that it's an expensive hobby to get into, well any hobby can be I suppose. The fact is that anyone can get into this hobby for less then $100 easy."

Guess this person is not a golfer LOL. Many a person has been able to find tanks at yard sales, flea markets, etc for little money down. The only thing a person has to realize with those tanks are: they most likely were tossed aside because of continous disease problems. Sterilize the tank before starting out and you'll have it made. I have never paid more than $1/gallon for any tank and I have more than 30 of all sizes... the biggest is a 150g.
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

This hobby can be cheap if you know where to look. My dad recently picked up a basically new 29g tank (can't even tell it was used), hood, two filters, gravel, and heater for $35. That's a pretty darn good deal. Fill with water and fire it up!

It just takes a little time and effort to search for the deals. The ability to haggle is nice to have as well.
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote