Hard to find locally...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hard to find locally...

Anyone had any luck finding a store that sells Weld On 4 or 16? I am trying to make a weir box for the 100g, and would prefer to actually solvent weld it together instead of just gluing/siliconing.. but i can only find online sales for it.. or anyone know a GOOD alternative. I have heard acetone with mix of acrylic chips to form the same basic product, but have heard its also ungodly slow to dry also...

Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

cant say as im familiar with that product but ill keep my eyes open.
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo minsi View Post
cant say as im familiar with that product but ill keep my eyes open.
Its what you use if you want to build acrylic tanks or well.. anything acrylic. Acrylic glue per say, but glues on the molecular level by softening and fusing the acrylic together.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a chemical welding agent.

Look online for the home depot, menards, lowes sites and see if any of the stores can order it for you.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
It's a chemical welding agent.

Look online for the home depot, menards, lowes sites and see if any of the stores can order it for you.

Already have and went to stores directly also since Menards/home depot/lowes are all within 5 min of my house. None of which carry nor special order them. I did manage to find a glass shop I am going to call tomorrow here in Flint and see if maybe they do acrylic work or know anyone that might carry supplies for it, and also check their prices on glass for future knowledge.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

[Ebay Link Removed]

Is this the stuff? Amazon has this as well
dtejeda.arias is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

http://item.mobileweb.ebay. .com/viewitem?itemId=261091453444&siteId=0&isClassified =false
dtejeda.arias is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
http://item.mobileweb.ebay. .com/viewitem?itemId=261091453444&siteId=0&isClassified =false

Yep thats the stuff, technically i dont need it anymore as i caved and just went with silicone to do the project since its not a pc that will be under much stress. Just trying to find it now at this point locally in case I am ever in a pinch or see if maybe its a little more competitively priced.

This is what I was working on. A Weir box to hide the bulkhead ill be drilling into the back of my 100g tank, and set the water level a littler higher than what i could if I let the bulkhead regulate the water level..

Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice, where did you get the white grate from?

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice, where did you get the white grate from?
Joanns fabric/micheals. Its #5 plastic crafting mesh (5 being the squares per inch). Good stuff to use for moss walls and stuff like that too.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
ajmckay
Algae Grower

Laird Plastics has it. I think a 4oz. jar is like $6. They're at I-696 & Groesbeck Hwy.

Also Acrylic Specialties & Plastics probably has it. They're near 14 mile & John R (248) 588-4390. They may also have a location in Detroit.

Both are a bit of a hike from Davison, but I'm sure you could think of other reasons to take the trip.

Also, why didn't you cut the front piece to cover the ends of the sides and bottom pieces? I think that would have worked out to a better looking overflow. Then again I suppose it depends on how the overflow will be oriented in regards to the primary viewing pane.

Last edited by ajmckay; 04-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: 1
ajmckay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmckay View Post
Laird Plastics has it. I think a 4oz. jar is like $6. They're at I-696 & Groesbeck Hwy.

Also Acrylic Specialties & Plastics probably has it. They're near 14 mile & John R (248) 588-4390. They may also have a location in Detroit.

Both are a bit of a hike from Davison, but I'm sure you could think of other reasons to take the trip.

Also, why didn't you cut the front piece to cover the ends of the sides and bottom pieces? I think that would have worked out to a better looking overflow. Then again I suppose it depends on how the overflow will be oriented in regards to the primary viewing pane.
I have a cousin that lives on 14 Mile and Garfield, maybe ill have him check it out for me when he next plans on coming up this way for a weekend.

I realized the error in cutting after i had it assembled, but as it will be under water, the edges turn just as black as the rest of it, just not reflective. Also with location close to top of the tank, and plants, it wont be to big of a deal. I got the tank up and rolling tonight, but the hole saw is STILL in transit.. so once it arrives i can drill the tank. For now its a DIY PVC overflow to surfice until then. I NEEDED to get the tank up this weekend no matter what, so couldnt wait any longer. http://youtu.be/WH83jZKoq6A

Fillin 'er up!

10 min after getting the canister filter running, sump will be plumbed tomorrow for the wet/dry filteration system. Livestock from the 80 will also find its new home here so i can move the 80 to its permanent location for its future rescape. Tank dimensions are 18x18x72 (bought tank used, a custom from Modern Aquariums of Saginaw, not sure if they even still exist), 101g if filled to the brim) And yes, that is a 40" DIY spray-bar to handle the output of my pond pump return line lol. Get it done son!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.