Brian's 4 Gallon Eheim Aquastyle - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
hunterlook's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 432
Default

Brian's 4 Gallon Eheim Aquastyle


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
Oh haha, newbie at this. It is on for about 10 hours a day, from 7 am to 5 pm. Is that too much light for my plants, or is it enough?
Yea shorten it by about 3 hours and see how 7 hours does. If the algae disappears then bump it up to 8 hours and so on until you find the sweet spot.
__________________
40 Breeder|36" FugeRay|Aquaclear 110
Oto|Guppy|Danio|Kuhli|Swordtail

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #17
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
Yea shorten it by about 3 hours and see how 7 hours does. If the algae disappears then bump it up to 8 hours and so on until you find the sweet spot.
Ahh, that isn't possible.... The least I can have it on is for about 8 hours or less or a bi more. Is this ok lighting?
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #18
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
hunterlook's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
Ahh, that isn't possible.... The least I can have it on is for about 8 hours or less or a bi more. Is this ok lighting?
I'm assuming that's your work schedule? Do that for now but that's a bummer seeing as you don't get to see your tank lit for very long when you get home.

To solve that problem you should pick up one of these and I guarantee you'll be much happier. That way you can set the on time for around 12 and off for around 7 or 8pm and still enjoy your tank after you get home from work.
__________________
40 Breeder|36" FugeRay|Aquaclear 110
Oto|Guppy|Danio|Kuhli|Swordtail

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #19
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 509
Default

Here is a pic of the algae infested algae

Last edited by Shrimpo_Brian; 07-24-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 509
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
I'm assuming that's your work schedule? Do that for now but that's a bummer seeing as you don't get to see your tank lit for very long when you get home.

To solve that problem you should pick up one of these and I guarantee you'll be much happier. That way you can set the on time for around 12 and off for around 7 or 8pm and still enjoy your tank after you get home from work.
Correction: s hoop schedule lol. And it's ok, really, because the tank is only low to med maintenance and low function, so no need for a timer. Plus I WAS on a budget, until I went wayyyy over the limit -.- anyways no need, although I guarantee that I'll be much happier myself!
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #21
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
hunterlook's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
Correction: s hoop schedule lol. And it's ok, really, because the tank is only low to med maintenance and low function, so no need for a timer. Plus I WAS on a budget, until I went wayyyy over the limit -.- anyways no need, although I guarantee that I'll be much happier myself!
Lol well going over budget is inevitable in this hobby. Low tech/maintenance doesn't prevent algae, just keep the timer in mind if you continue to have algae issues.
__________________
40 Breeder|36" FugeRay|Aquaclear 110
Oto|Guppy|Danio|Kuhli|Swordtail

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #22
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 509
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
Lol well going over budget is inevitable in this hobby. Low tech/maintenance doesn't prevent algae, just keep the timer in mind if you continue to have algae issues.
Haha sure will! So do you think the nerite and Amani's will clear most of the forming algae in the tank, like the spotted algae found in the glass? I discovered that any glass cleaner won't work on the glass algae, so what will have the strength to pick and eat t it? Also, I have heard that nerites, or snails in particular, have a big bio load (poo?), so is that much maintenance. Required to care for them?
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy
 
A.D.D.i.c.t.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 335
Default Re: Brian's 4 Gallon Eheim Aquastyle

No, the bio load will be minimal. You may see poo, however

the addiction continues...
__________________
DBP Club!
Finnex Club Member!]
~~~~~~~~
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
Avatar photo by Naska
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #24
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Shrimpo_Brian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
No, the bio load will be minimal. You may see poo, however

the addiction continues...
So that means I won't have to change how often I do water changes? What about amano shrimp? Minimal care also?
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012