Small Frog Pond Project (any ideas?)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
JBtheExplorer

PTrader: (0/0%)

Small Frog Pond Project (any ideas?)

When the ground thaws I'm planning on putting in a mini-pond, around 20 gallons. The point of it is to hopefully attract some frogs, since we have a nice Green and Leopard frog population nearby. Also, I'm thinking of buying live tadpoles from a bait shop since it might be easier to keep them around.

Here is a photo of what I plan on doing:

(1.) The surface of the pond and small area of ground around it will be lowered about 4", surrounded by landscaping timbers.
(2.) 2 layers of landscaping timbers will surround about 2 1/2 of the 4 sides to help give frogs extra feeling of security (i realize this will make it harder for them to find).
(3.) A foot or more of woodchips or rocks will help separate that area from the grass, making it safer for frogs while cutting grass.
(4.) A small shallow pool of water will drain into the pond, creating more surface water, theoretically making it more appealing to frogs, though I'm not to worried about the lack of surface water, since they seem to like my neighbors ditch, which has almost no water in it.

If you guys have any ideas on what plants would be best to add around or in the pond, I'd like to know. Specifically anything I can easily find at any home & garden store. I also heard that frogs like duckweed on the surface of ponds.

Any other ideas you have on how to make it more appealing to frogs is appreciated. Keep in mind that everything in that image, I already own, and my budget for this project is only enough for some plants and maybe goldfish.

Last edited by JBtheExplorer; 04-03-2013 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: image change.
JBtheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hi JB. Are you unable to put in a real pond? There are some pretty good guides (and networks) out there. Something as small as you propose won't hold many frogs, and because it is so small (and will freeze solid in the winter), it won't be anything more than a temporary stopover place for a few frogs in the summer. I do not recommend bait tadpoles at all: you don't know what species you are getting, chances are they are from another state, and chances are really good they will have 1 of 2 common deadly diseases that you'd be introducing into your yard. Plus it's illegal to release bait animals, and also to even translocate animals from one wild site to another. Not to be a wet blanket, just wanted to share these thoughts. I would wait for local frogs to find it, or find someone around with a swimming pool who gets frog eggs laid in there and that you could 'rescue'.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

+1 on too small.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
JBtheExplorer

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
+1 on too small.
It's not too small. I've got a cousin who has a similar setup and quite a few Green Frogs will stay all summer, then head to nearby pond to hibernate in fall before he empties the pond. His is 20 gallons, mine is actually 19, and whatever the top pool holds, which I'm guessing is an extra 5 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
Hi JB. Are you unable to put in a real pond? I do not recommend bait tadpoles at all: you don't know what species you are getting.
Depending on what your definition is, this is a 'real pond'. Its a preformed pond liner with waterfall. We've had it for a couple of years without any use. As I said, my budget for this is only enough for a few plants and possibly fish, everything else I already own. and I actually have many sources for getting tadpoles, with ponds and rivers all round the area, though, I figured I'd avoid the response about taking them from the wild.

Not to be negative on my first post on this forum, but I asked for ideas and plant suggestions and in return got a lecture, one that didn't even answer the questions I had. I have quite a bit of knowledge about amphibians and pond setups in general and don't need to know or be told anything other than the opinions I asked for.
JBtheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

what you really need is some cover for them, hostas or the like. some wood chips, cedar I think, will aggravate the frog's skin
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Yowza. Did you even look at the link I sent, which includes answers to your questions and then some? You asked for advice on plants and "Any other ideas you have on how to make it more appealing to frogs" and you got it, as well as the not so subtle suggestion that your plans included breaking the law as well as endangering local wildlife. If you already have all the answers you wanted, then why did you post here? Keep on posting your plans to break the law in public fora, and good day to you JB.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtheExplorer View Post
When the ground thaws I'm planning on putting in a mini-pond, around 20 gallons. The point of it is to hopefully attract some frogs, since we have a nice Green and Leopard frog population nearby. Also, I'm thinking of buying live tadpoles from a bait shop since it might be easier to keep them around.

Here is a photo of what I plan on doing:

(1.) The surface of the pond and small area of ground around it will be lowered about 4", surrounded by landscaping timbers.
(2.) 2 layers of landscaping timbers will surround about 2 1/2 of the 4 sides to help give frogs extra feeling of security (i realize this will make it harder for them to find).
(3.) A foot or more of woodchips or rocks will help separate that area from the grass, making it safer for frogs while cutting grass.
(4.) A small shallow pool of water will drain into the pond, creating more surface water, theoretically making it more appealing to frogs, though I'm not to worried about the lack of surface water, since they seem to like my neighbors ditch, which has almost no water in it.

If you guys have any ideas on what plants would be best to add around or in the pond, I'd like to know. Specifically anything I can easily find at any home & garden store. I also heard that frogs like duckweed on the surface of ponds.

Any other ideas you have on how to make it more appealing to frogs is appreciated. Keep in mind that everything in that image, I already own, and my budget for this project is only enough for some plants and maybe goldfish.
You do not need any timber around the pond for security but plants are what you want and frogs will find their way there for breeding.
I am in the south so the plants I have like papyrus won't work for you but any plant that is a couple feet high and blocks the pond view from the street is great.

A small pot in the middle of your pond with one dwarf cattail planted in gravel will add alot.

I would think you have toads in your area so not sure if they will breed with goldfish in pond.

The little oak toads around here do not breed in my buried platy ponds but the tree frogs and other frogs do.

"A foot or more of woodchips or rocks will help separate that area from the grass, making it safer for frogs while cutting grass"

You could also put flower pots on that .The more plants the better.

"I also heard that frogs like duckweed on the surface of ponds"

Yes they do. I used frogbit as in pic but ANY floating plant will do, extra fish tank plants,etc

This is old and since that pic it was replaced with 125 gallon water trough with cichlids but as congested as it was with plants it was a magnet for toads, frogs during breeding season.

Daily garter snake and ringneck snake visits. More so than my much bigger but not as planted stock tanks.

There was nothing in the pond as far as fish and the sides were later planted with flowers (not shown in this set up).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FROG AREA NOT FINISHED.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	120506  

Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
what you really need is some cover for them, hostas or the like. some wood chips, cedar I think, will aggravate the frog's skin

"cedar I think, will aggravate the frog's skin"

I heard the same thing from lots of people here but it won't stop cane toads , lol.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote