Confused, please help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Confused, please help

I'm dry feet shopping because I want to do this correctly and give my plants what they need. I'm using this store http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2
as it was highly recommended but as I look through their options it's a hair confusing. I was told there is real no all in one fert mix but they have a macro/micro mix that claims to be near that. Also the difference between po3 and po4 confuses me. They are both potasium so why do they sell them seperate?
My tank as it stand now is 36"l 18" deep 12" wide. I have 3 42w daylight 6500k cfl spiral bulbs with 10.5 brooder domes. A 24" Hamilton cfl 6700k and DYI co2 2 2liter bottle set up. I have hamilton light on for 12 hrs brooders on for middle 6 I have a power head on one side and canister filter outlet on other side (good circulation). I have tons of root tabs (1 every 1 1/2) in the substrate which is a 50/50 mix Eco complete and gravel. I dose flourish two cap fulls daily also excel 2 cap fulls.
I'm basically asking what dry frets do I need? My amazons were initially going nuts, pearling like no ones business are now suffering with pin holes new leaves and buckling from the middle out and others going translucent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ChadKruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anyone have input?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Potassium is K
PO4 is phospahte
N is nitrogen

Read THIS and it should answer your questions of what to buy

If you buy these you should be set...

Plantex CSM+B
Potassium Nitrate KN03
Monopotassium Phosphate KH2PO4
Potassium Sulphate K2S04
Gh booster (only if you have soft water)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadKruger View Post
I was told there is real no all in one fert mix but they have a macro/micro mix that claims to be near that.
I would advise against getting an all in one fertilizer mix. As you are already aware, there cannot really be a "one size fits all" fertilization solution for different sized aquariums. There are just too many factors to account for from aquarium to aquarium.

Getting separate chemicals is the best way, since it offers the highest degree of customizability. Of course, it may be a little more difficult to work with at first, but you will soon get the hang of it.

Quote:
Also the difference between po3 and po4 confuses me. They are both potasium so why do they sell them seperate?
I am not sure where you are getting PO3 and PO4 from. In addition, these are not potassium, but phosphorus (in the form of phosphates, namely PO4).

Quote:
I'm basically asking what dry frets do I need?
Potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, a trace mix (such as CSM+B) and a GH booster (which is just a mix of calcium, magnesium and potassium sulfate) are generally recommended.

The GH booster can be omitted if you do not have a need to remineralize your water. If you buy the sulfates separately, you can mix your own. Of course, having the potassium sulfate separately also affords you the opportunity to dose potassium alone in case you notice a potassium deficiency in your plants.

Quote:
Anyone have input?
Friday evening. Be patient.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
UDGags
aka Nick

Also the reason you don't see macro/micro together is that phosphate will react with the Iron and precipitate out. This will leave you deficient in both of those.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

Honestly I can't say thank you enough. I know everyone says read read read and I have been but there's so much info and so many products all just saying they do this or better than them, that its a bit to much. I have no issues following dosing instructions, its buying the products the drives my anxiety through the roof. Limited funds for a new hobby doesn't leave a lot of room for mistakes.
I like the, buy this this this, follow this set of dosing instructions. Now go learn why.
Thanks again ill go buy the stuff now and start my ei dosing when it comes in. Great forum I'm glad I found it.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
UDGags
aka Nick

Yeah, at least dry ferts are pretty cheap in the entire scope of things.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
jnatelborg54@gmail.com
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Talk to Orlando at Greenleaf Aquariums, you'll find out everything you want to know and you can't go wrong. He sells whatever you need and will guide you thru every step of the way.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

I sent them an email. They have me some suggestions with the open invite to just email any time I feel like I nee help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.