Markos Mustard Gas Halfmoon Bettas - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #61
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Awesome!!! Your journal is making me want to get back into breeding bettas. I seen a crown tail baby betta at petco for 1.99 and bought it! Not sure why. Then I went to petsmart and seen someone changed the lids from a normal to a crown tail female with an awesome metallic color and yeah she came home with me for 99 cents! Another week or so and I'll be able to sex the baby. What are you going to do with yours after they are grown? Mustard gas HM CT would look awesome!!!! (I'm a sucker for CT)
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #62
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

mine always die right after free swimming. never fails. im pretty sure its a temp thing. im betting they get to much cool air when i go to feed.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #63
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use to breed them in a car battery, once free swimming through em in a 25g water drum and feed em hard boil egg yolk back in Dominican Republic. here for some reason it's a bit tougher to keep em alive when young
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #64
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
Awesome!!! Your journal is making me want to get back into breeding bettas. I seen a crown tail baby betta at petco for 1.99 and bought it! Not sure why. Then I went to petsmart and seen someone changed the lids from a normal to a crown tail female with an awesome metallic color and yeah she came home with me for 99 cents! Another week or so and I'll be able to sex the baby. What are you going to do with yours after they are grown? Mustard gas HM CT would look awesome!!!! (I'm a sucker for CT)
thank you.
keep some, sell the rest.
i like CTs too. my last spawn was black orchid CTs. but breeding an HM to a CT will just give you combtails. not enough ray branching or webbing to be an HM, not long enough ray extensions/webbng reductions to be a CT, and the crowning will likely be uneven (some parts of the finnage heavily crowned, others almost totally smooth). though with some selective breeding you could produce halfsuns, but this is not easy. i thought about trying to make a half sun line but gave up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
mine always die right after free swimming. never fails. im pretty sure its a temp thing. im betting they get to much cool air when i go to feed.
thats odd. what do you feed? thats about the time that they need food they can/will eat fast or they starve.
if you have a heater, its not a temp issue. water holds temp very well, and they arent breathing air yet. also, i dont use full lids on my fry tanks and dont loose fry to "cold air".

Quote:
I use to breed them in a car battery, once free swimming through em in a 25g water drum and feed em hard boil egg yolk back in Dominican Republic. here for some reason it's a bit tougher to keep em alive when young
thats an interesting tank!
im guessing you kept them outside and gave em all natural insect larvae for food. sure they loved that.
its not too hard here, just you have to simulate their natural environment, while the dominican is probably similar enough that you can just leave em outside.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #65
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pretty simple. Grandma use to hate when I had the tank infested with mosquito larve. Great place for a fry grow out tank.

As far as half suns go I wouldn't start that project unless I knew the bettas genes at least 3 to 5 parents back. Gives me a bit of assurance that they will produce exactly what I want not a redhead from a few genes back lol. How far back can you vouch on your half moons?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #66
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

only the parents.
i dont even know if the parents were siblings.
producing a halfsun is daunting, but they do look stunning. maybe after a 2 generations of mustard gas HMs i decide to get a CT and go for it, but i doubt it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #67
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

3 gens or longer of a reputable breeder is a must for that sort of project. If you do decide to go for it make sure to make a journal and I want a trio ASAP

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #68
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)
Default Re: Markos Mustard Gas Halfmoon Bettas

Wow I haven't check it out since first born.
Is it me or they grow quick!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #69
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

they can grow quick with the proper nutrition and water changes. you can get a betta to sellable size in 2-3 months.
thats what i am for, and seem to be on track.

most of the fry accept the cut up frozen bloodworms i fed today. which is good because for the past week they were on a BBS only diet, since they are too big for MW at this point. now i can start reintroducing variety to their diet. im hoping they will start accepting golden pearls soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #70
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

fantastic photography!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #71
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have you ever tried daphnia?

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #72
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
fantastic photography!
thanks. im unsatisfied with it though. takes me 40 shots to get 3 worth saving and posting.
part of it is the fact that they dont want to stay still, and there isnt much i can do about that.

Quote:
Have you ever tried daphnia?
only frozen daphnia.
dont want to bother culturing live daphnia, since by the time they are large enough to eat them, im usually getting them to eat prepared food anyway.
these guys are just getting to be that size, and im getting em to take cut-up frozen bloodworms.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #73
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

went to take a few pics earlier today, and found the fry were being very cooperative. got some good ones:

Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #74
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wowwwwwwww those are some handsome little things!
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #75
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I know the frustration of trying to get good pics and throwing away what feels like 100 before you get one you like.

Assume you're using the non-L EF 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, the long focus throw and slow end-to-end travel can cost you a few shots on moving targets. I've also found that using a small flash on the hotshoe can make things easier, and it doesn't tend to glare with the EF 100mm Macro because you're close enough to the glass that it's outside of the image circle on both full-frame and crop cameras.

I also have Rebel XS, and it's pushed pretty hard at ISO 1600, but the images do clean up pretty well. The newer T4i has some pretty impressive high-ISO capabilities if you're looking to avoid using flash.

You have beautiful fish, and you take excellent pictures of them. I love following this thread.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote