How to build a co2 regulator [56k!] - Page 28
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #406
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

No, not a check valve. I run mine in-line. After the metering valve is just a Swagelok tube fitting. The rest of the fittings are Superlok.

Oh - No issues with mixing the brass and other metals as of yet. Maybe if you live somewhere where its really humid or something or if it was used outdoors.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #407
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I didn't start noticing leaks from mixing brass/stainless steel until after 2 years, and it was a very fine microleak (barely detectable with soapy water).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #408
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wouldn't the teflon be the only thing making contact? I mean, it's not metal to metal. I been told it only bad for those ferrule fittings and if you have it exposed to humidity.

A while back, I asked Swagelok this very question. And if I can remember correctly, the girl said it would be best to do a Female SS with a Male Brass if weight is concerned. Use of a sealant and having it stationary is preferred.

Can someone with a brass regulator and stainless steel fittings chime in on this? I'm curious as to how it runs. I think Mathman has a brass matheson with some SS fittings.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #409
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I didn't start noticing leaks from mixing brass/stainless steel until after 2 years, and it was a very fine microleak (barely detectable with soapy water).
Thanks.

I'm thinking chrome-plated brass fittings could be good "sacrificial" components when dealing with setups using both stainless and brass.

A stainless Parker H3L is so expensive, protecting it from corrosion, no matter how small, might be a good idea. The same with a chrome-plated brass regulator like I'm getting, where you might make the 1/4 to 1/8 hex nipple chrome plated brass when everything else is stainless for a better aesthetic match.

Thoughts?

Last edited by nofearengineer; 04-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: I'm a terrible typist.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #410
Darkblade48

I was actually using chrome-plated brass (a Swageok metering valve) with some stainless steel tubing to 1/8" NPT adapters.

In general, galvanic corrosion will not be an issue if you use teflon tape (so that there is some medium between the two metals). However, in my case, there is no teflon between these two adapters (brass makes contact with stainless steel directly), and so, leaks eventually formed.

Doing what you proposed should be fine though; I assume you will use all stainless steel parts past the 1/4" to 1/8" hex bushing. This essentially makes the hex bushing the sacrificial part (relatively cheap to replace).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #411
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

That's exactly what I intended, DB.

And also between the brass bubble counter and the stainless metering valve.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #412
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

pipe connection, it is not a problem to use brass with stainless steel, because you use teflon tape or pipe sealant anyway.
from what I know, if direct contact, all metal have galvanize action, but aluminum to aluminum, stainless steel to stainless steel are the worse, other metals, or brass with stainless steel, galvanize action can be neglected.

I don't see a problem that SS pipe with brass pipe fittings. only caution is that the brass is softer than the SS, over-tighten the pipe fittings, the threads of brass fittings will damage. Of course, that will apply a really large force to run the threads bold.

Swagelok compression tube ports, avoid using brass ferrules with SS fittings(or avoid brass ferrules whatsoever), the brass ferrules and SS fittings has no galvanize problem, but brass is soft, deformation over time if under pressure, and the connection will loose.
I think that is why the representative from Swagelok didn't recommend brass with SS, to be specifically.

add: brass ferrules are weak, it is easy to turn the compression tube connection side way if the ferrules are brass.

Last edited by Bettatail; 04-05-2013 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: add info
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #413
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

I am sure the teflon tape helps, but let us remember that its purpose is to seal, not to insulate. There is certainly metal-to-metal contact in any threaded junction.

And I know that we are probably talking about an almost infinitesimal amount of corrosion, given that there isn't an electrolyte involved, other than some water vapor impurity. But that is why you guys are awesome. You sweat the details (like me), and your regulators are true works of art as a result.

I can only hope my setup works and looks half as well.

I'm looking for my fittings, solenoid, and bubble counter now, so it won't be long before I start feeding my plants right.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #414
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Here at HD now and don't see none of these sizes???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
It is the right combination of fittings that make it look good.

Recommend fittings and parts:
1/4 mnpt to 1/8 mnpt hex nipple
1/8 fnpt inlet/outlet solenoid(waiting for the good news, I will push out a good one for fellow hobbyists)
1/8 mnpt elbow
Then your needle valve.
Nothing here at HD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
HD should carry what bettatail has listed...if you don't mind the waiting you could buy them on eBay as well.
HD don't have those fittings

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-06-2013 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts.
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #415
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default How to build a co2 regulator [56k!]

You are going to have to buy them online and be patient...I know that could be a difficult thing.
Mathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #416
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

In the plumbing section, there are a bunch of brass fittings. They're divided by size. Little Watts bags. The 1/8 section will be small.

It's possible that your HD doesn't have any of these fittings. More likely, you just haven't found them. Just to be clear, "MNPT" and "FNPT" mean male and female NPT fittings. Just ask a salesperson in the plumbing section about brass NPT fittings. They won't have SS.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #417
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
In the plumbing section, there are a bunch of brass fittings. They're divided by size. Little Watts bags. The 1/8 section will be small.

It's possible that your HD doesn't have any of these fittings. More likely, you just haven't found them. Just to be clear, "MNPT" and "FNPT" mean male and female NPT fittings. Just ask a salesperson in the plumbing section about brass NPT fittings. They won't have SS.
This is what I had to do.

Cuz the HD people don't know how to find stuff they work around everyday.

Quote:
You are going to have to buy them online and be patient...I know that could be a difficult thing.
I found them on eBay but I guess ill run it like this for now.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-06-2013 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #418
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Could you do this?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #419
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Could you do this?

Yea.

I might have to run it like this till I get my solieniod n bubble counter. Should I still order the others off line, or get my tank n go leave u guys alone. Lol

Last edited by newbieplanter; 04-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: More
Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #420
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Yea.
Now, the only difficulty you may have is tightening the 1/8" nipples as they are not hex it wont be easy to get a good hold on them without damaging the threads.