Flora Fun! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #46
Rockhoe14er
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

wow Noah your tank is looking fantastic. I'm so envious.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #47
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
wow Noah your tank is looking fantastic. I'm so envious.
LOL thanks! Did you get your co2 issue and stunting figured out? The hygrophila pinnatifida you gave me has now started to grow, and its growing well, slow but well.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #48
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Re-scaped!!!

A quick pic of the tank right after planting.

Back right is Rotala Rotundifolia 'green', in front of that is blyxia? and a couple stems of 'sao paulo', Pinnifida in the center rear (sorry for the spelling, just posting quickly so I can get back to work lol) Pogostemon Erectus to the far right with linderina 'india' in front of that. Macandra red in front of the tall stone, which will be kept short and bushy, There is a ludwigia behind the tall stone, but it will be a while for it to start to grow in. the foreground consists of Crypt. Parva which was in the last incarnation in a very tight dense bush, It is one of my oldest plants (2+ years old) and has been in every tank at some point lol.

Now to let things grow in and start working on getting some very dense shaped bushes. Its gonna be a while.

I still need to get my background mounted, I did get the foam background or as I called it, the Algae magnet removed. The tank feels much larger without it.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #49
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Update time!!!

For a few months, I was getting BBA, GDA, GSA and massive stunting of my plants. I tried turning up the co2, bringing down the lights and nothing was happening. THEN!!!! I noticed in my 36g that my macandra and Pogostemon stellatus were showing signs of a lack of nutrients. The stellatus was loosing lower leaves quickly, and they were discriminating. The Macandra was stunting severely. After some consulting, and realizing that I had lost some of my larger fish I realized it was a lack of Kno3. So in both tanks I increased it slightly. This has made both tanks explode, the 36g I could trim my ludwigia cuba twice a week if I needed to, and all of my plants in the flora perked up and started growing again. my biggest turn around in the tank has been my rotala rotundifolia 'green' which has doubled its height in about a week. I have tried several plants in the front left side of the rock, none have taken (probably because of the nutrient loss) I have a few stems of ludwigia something or other there right now, and we will see how they take. My Rotundifolia pink is now gone, and I have put some zoisterfolia in its place. I am now looking for a crypt. that will grow to a height of maybe 10-12" to put behind the rock on the right. We will see what I find lol

Lets see what happens over the next few weeks, I hopefully will be able to start shaping my bushes to get a more round appearance.

Here are a few pics.

FTS!

1/4 shot

Hydrocotyle 'japan' (monster of a plant, this is the result of trimming my 36g lol)

Lindernia sp. 'India'
Old 05-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #50
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Sneak rescape lol I got tired of the maintenance on this tank, So I pulled back a bit and went with slower growing plants. The driftwood is from Tom barr's stash, and man was it a good order.

There are two forms of java fern, flame moss, corymbosa 'stricta' some small sword lol crypt. undulata, pinninfida (spelling is horrible on my species, but you get the point lol) and star grass which will be replaced with another plant here soon.

All of the fish made it through the transition, and seem to be much more comfortable in the new scape. My Ember tetras stick to the open areas of the tank, the CPD and CBD's stick and play in and out of the wood. my two Oto's hang out in every area of the tank lol and my sparkling gourami loves moving slowly and silently through the plants and wood, his colors have REALLY started to pop, and he is less skittish than he was before with the stone.

here are a few rescape pics. It is hard to show exactly how the wood is setup in the tank without managing a 3d shot lol.

FTS

Glosso starting to carpet, although some is growing vertically (snip snip)

Crypt. Undulata

1/4 right

blurry 1/4 left

there are still tannins in the water from the wood, but I actually like the slight brown look to it. makes the tan seem more mysterious
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #51
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Really nice re-scape. the dw is beautiful.
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #52
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philemon716 View Post
Really nice re-scape. the dw is beautiful.
Thanks, I just asked tom to send me one of his nano packages, he did the rest so the credit for the wood goes to him lol.

I still have enough to put together another tank too (thinkin 4gal. evolve for the office)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #53
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Update:

Glosso is gone, Marselia crenata is in. It is filling in very thick, and very well. I have some stems of Proserpinaca palustris converting to the submerged state. it will eventually be moved to the back right side of the tank and kept pretty high to get the reds back there. There are also some stems of rotala macandra 'red' that I am attempting to save from near death. All at the same time I am trying to fix what I think is a calcium and magnesium deficiency (dang local water changed a couple months ago and seems to have managed to drop these from the water, they no longer show on the quality reports) Once these all grow in its just a matter of maintenance which is very low on this tank. the fish are very happy, although I did have an amonia breakout when I replaced the in tank fluval nano filter with a zoomed 501 canister, I transfered all of the old filter media, but it was not enough. So I took filter media out of my 36g filter and it fixed the problem over night. I was a little low on flow, in which the low flow areas were getting some BBA, so I took an old toms mini filter and put some window screen over the intake, and am now using it as a mini circulation pump of sorts. works great! I also picked up a pretty cool looking crypt. it was labeled as "bronze crypt." so I am not totally sure which species. It has been staying smaller, with the longest leaves about 4-6"

Here are the most current pictures.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #54
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Total rescape again! lol I was having flow issues with the scape as it was, so I redid it again last night. I think it turned out ok, and the flow is much better. I had tons of BBA to scrape and burn off the wood with h2o2. I think some of the foreground will remain plain sand, I really want a group of pygmy cories so that will come in handy. Not sure what other foreground I will use on the far left side.

Here are the updated pics!!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #55
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

WOW,

This tank has gone threw many changes, and all of them looked VERY GOOD!!! The current setup is one of my favorites! One question though, is the tank still sitting on the TV Trey??? If it is I PRAY that it is built better then the ones like it we used to have!!! We got some for a wedding gift, gag from a friend, and they seemed to be built well, but with a little weight the lip that the folding leg rests on snapped off and the 15" tv fell to it's death! It has been there for a while, so I hopefully it will be ok!!!

Anyway Great fish choices ya went with too! I have always wanted some Embers, and Badis, but I have never seen them locally! SUX!!! The pygmy cories will be cool too!!!

Keep up the great work in a cool tank!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #56
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
WOW,

This tank has gone threw many changes, and all of them looked VERY GOOD!!! The current setup is one of my favorites! One question though, is the tank still sitting on the TV Trey??? If it is I PRAY that it is built better then the ones like it we used to have!!! We got some for a wedding gift, gag from a friend, and they seemed to be built well, but with a little weight the lip that the folding leg rests on snapped off and the 15" tv fell to it's death! It has been there for a while, so I hopefully it will be ok!!!

Anyway Great fish choices ya went with too! I have always wanted some Embers, and Badis, but I have never seen them locally! SUX!!! The pygmy cories will be cool too!!!

Keep up the great work in a cool tank!
Drew
Thanks!!! yes, it is still on the same tray The tray is very well built. I checked it out quite a bit before I decided to use it for any of my tanks. In previous years I have had a 5.5 gal. , 10 gal. And now the Flora. I have just not found a piece of furniture that I think works well for it, or is cheap enough lol.

Hopefully I can keep good enough flow in the tank to take care of any BBA that may pop up again. I have the light about 10" above the tank (26W CFL) last time I measured the par I was getting about 30 at the substrate. I have the Zoomed 501 nano canister filter on the tank, as well as a Hagen Elite internal filter (converted to a power head) moving water in the tank.

My embers love the extra open space, my CPD's and sparkling gourami not as much. Eventually I might add another Badis to the tank, I really love those little guys. The pygmy cories will come here as soon as I can find a way to sneak them into the tank.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #57
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

New pic

Nothing much has changed except a few plants. The Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho' is growing slowly, but well. It looks as if it is a nice plant of gauging light levels. In high light levels it gets a slight red hue around the edges. I think I have my light levels about right, I havehad to raise the light about 10" above the waters surface to beat back the BBA that I have had, and the 'porto velho' is still a bit redish. We will see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #58
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Update time, its been a long time between the last update and now. I have been busy saving for the items needed so I can setup the 40B, so all I really have been doing is maintaining the tanks, and purchasing fertilizer.

Here she is at the moment. I added a few more plants just this last week, we will see how they do. I have some babies in the tank now, I pulled some plants out this last rescape and put them in a spare 10g tank. Well there must have been eggs because a few weeks later I went to go pulld own the tank and there were a bunch of babies swimming around. I ended up with two CPD's and two CBD's that survived.

Here are a few pics of the growing scape.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #59
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

few more pics.
Crypt. Wendtii 'green gecko' and bronze sitting between the wood.

Rotala Macandra, its doing the best it ever has in this tank.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #60
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Wow its been a long time since I posted last lol.

I am getting ready for another redo. I am doing it mainly because the fish are always in the plants and I never really see them. I got a burl of "spider wood" from my LFS with a 90* cut in the back, hopefully I can use it in one corner to provide some cover to make the fish feel happy enough to come out and play. I think they are breeding in the tank as I see smaller fish, and these ones should be reaching about 2-3 years old now lol

I will have to trim the branches to the far left and right, but I plan to zip tie them back on in the same location, just in a little bit to fit.

Anywhoo here is a pic of the wood.