getting rid of mts - overrun!!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
aprildawn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

getting rid of mts - overrun!!!!

anyidea how to get rid of mts. i have tons of them in 3 tanks. 2 tanks have pool filter sand & 1 has black coal slag & is planted. they are everywhere. stupid me put them in there voluntarily. duh!!
aprildawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

In short, stop feeding so much.

You can drop a piece of lettuce or other food into the tank at lights out. Wait about an hour, then turn the lights on and remove the snails that are on the lettuce. That'll help you reduce numbers quickly.

But you'll ideally want to leave some in the tank if you're using sand. They keep things aerated and healthy.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
DrakeScree
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I was overrun with MTS, so I threw in some assassins. Once I saw a MTS get eaten, I realized how much I like them in there. All 100000 of them in my 12g tank. (I feed once every other day, and the shrimps eat all the food)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
nyxkitten
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)

I'll take them! I can't have enough :/
Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
aprildawn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

i will try the lettuce option. i do have a few assassins in each tank. they have been getting rid of some but then i'm left with the shells. not fond of those either. one of the tanks is being set up as a shrimp tank. will crs eat them?
aprildawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
i will try the lettuce option. i do have a few assassins in each tank. they have been getting rid of some but then i'm left with the shells. not fond of those either. one of the tanks is being set up as a shrimp tank. will crs eat them?
Eat the snails? Definitely not haha.

I'd go the food trap option. To make it even easier, set the food in a net and then just scoop the net up with the snails inside.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Steps of getting rid of pests in your tank:

1. Reduce feeding
2. Feeding disk
3. Remove uneaten food after food is not finished
4. Try to pick out adult by a turkey baster or some clip
5. Introduce predator to that pests (Assassin snail or Fishes)
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Had some pond snails hitch hike into one of my tanks, I crush the little babies and then the shrimp do eat them.
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

MTS quickly over-ran my tanks when I first introduced them--but, just as generally happens with pond snails--the population is beginning to stabalize with a bit of help.

I've two assassin snails in my 37g (though they mostly go after the pond and rams first, I have seen them eat MTS) which nibble around the edges and I've got several means of removing the smaller snails:

--swipe the glass walls early am or late pm to gather up ones that have climbed the glass (easy to knock 'em loose from plants and catch 'em in the net as they fall as well)
--bait and lift with fresh veggies (always a pain to sort out the rams and ponds I want to keep, though)
--wait til most of 'em are out on the open sandy areas of the tank in the pm and use a open-weave net to scoop up and sift them out of the sand. Larger snails are returned to the tank, tiny to mid sized are dumped.

Just as with my pond snails, I've noticed the reproduction rate is dropping and I'm seeing fewer bursts of new hatched babies as the population gradually shifts towards more large adults. Hasn't been long enough to know if MTS follow the same pattern as ponds, bladders and rams--but the largest adults of those species show a tendency to have slower rates of reproduction than young adults.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: getting rid of mts - overrun!!!!

Meh. I love the MTS in my tanks. I overfeed on purpose sometimes to make sure they get their grub on too. They're nothing but beneficial to your tanks.

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

get rid of snails? impossible.

gg.

lol They're hard to completely wipe out. A couple of assassins may go a long way but mine never liked my MTS or pond snails....only ate my ramshorns.

Also if you keep shrimp there's always debate whether assassins are truly shrimp safe. (if someone reads this...please don't elaborate it just ends up as a really long thread that's off topic with people arguing back and forth lol)
Bananariot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Resign yourself to defeat and accept them, as there's no way to kill them all without killing some shrimp too.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote