Is this worth the money?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is this worth the money?

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=153

I have a 20g tank. Medium light.
pelicanincident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Frankly, no. It is efficient, very efficient; but only slightly more than that $10 eBay diffuser.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have actually used that diffuser, it is great, the quality is great and the CO2 is like pollen, never seen anything preform similar. It is also one of the few glassware items that ADA has hand made in Japan still, major bonus.

It is also unique as I don't see any knock offs that have the curved glass tube this one does. Most copies are of the ADA beetle design.

For disc glass diffusers that you see in the tank, I always recommend ADA, they are pieces of art in themselves that combine form + function perfectly.

Since your tank is only 20g you can also look at the Pollen Glass Type 1, 2 & 3 which also would work and are slightly cheaper (half $60).
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok cool. Sounds like I will get what I pay for. I don't mind paying a little more for quality, which is what this seems to be. However, I don't want to buy something that's going to be overkill and give me too much diffusion. I've put out some money so far and experimented with some more active (as opposed to passive) DIY diffusers and all it did was bring my pH down way too low (ie bring my co2 way too high).

My KH averages around 4-5. I'm using 2 DIY yeast co2 reactors. If I get enough recommendations given my specs above, I'm going to pull the trigger.
pelicanincident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
tropicalmackdaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanincident View Post
Ok cool. Sounds like I will get what I pay for. I don't mind paying a little more for quality, which is what this seems to be. However, I don't want to buy something that's going to be overkill and give me too much diffusion. I've put out some money so far and experimented with some more active (as opposed to passive) DIY diffusers and all it did was bring my pH down way too low (ie bring my co2 way too high).

My KH averages around 4-5. I'm using 2 DIY yeast co2 reactors. If I get enough recommendations given my specs above, I'm going to pull the trigger.
With DIY co2 it may not even be able to diffuse it.
I would buy a do!aqua diffuser if you want a nice one. They are a heck of a lot cheaper and basically the same thing
Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

No offense intended but using a $134 diffuser with DYI CO2 is like trying to use diesel fuel in a fighter jet. Using the $134 towards a proper CO2 system will be a far more efficient use of your funds. As tropicalmackdaddy said it most likely will not work with DYI system anyway. It requires a minimum pressure to work.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

eBay diffusers work for DIY CO2, at least the "nano" aquaticmagic diffusers do.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

I'm not sure how well it will work with DIY CO2, but aside from that ADA makes great diffusers. I have two, Pollen Beetle 50 and Pollen Glass Large. I've had them for 2 and 7 years respectively and feel they've been worth every penny. I've tried other less expensive diffusers including GLA's atomic diffuser and while they were fine for a short time period I've always had something break, crack, etc with the cheap ones. Of course, YMMV.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

Default Is this worth the money?

It's not worth the money for yeast co2... It's be worth it if you had pressurized
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
No offense intended but using a $134 diffuser with DYI CO2 is like trying to use diesel fuel in a fighter jet.
Jet fuel is basically kerosene. Not much difference between it and diesel fuel.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote