11.4g Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Default 11.4g Riparium

I've been wanting to set up a riparium since I first saw them here on TPT, and after one half-hearted attempt with a shower caddy and a peace lily I decided to do it the "right" way. A couple weeks ago I bought the Mr. Aqua 11.4 gallon tank then began talking with hydrophyte. He quickly came up with a combination of supplies and plants for me and answered my questions. My package arrived in the mail today so I got the actual riparium part of my riparium set up.

Eqipment
Mr Aqua 11.4 gallon tank
Up Aqua in tank filter (basically works like a sponge filter, the only reason I got it was because the sponge filters the store had were huge)
Archaea 25w heater (may be too small in the winter, but it's what I stuck in there for now)

Hardscape
Black sand
River rocks from a landscape supply store
Driftwood

Flora
Ruellia 'Katie'
Asclepias Mexican Milkweed
Phalaris 'Strawberries & Cream'

Pennywort
Pilea alluminum plant

Anubias nana
Java fern 'trident'
Blyxa japonica

Fauna
HMPK Betta
Ramshorns

Initial setup:

Brooder lamps with 23 watt cfl bulbs for lighting. I think I'll switch them out at some point for a T5HO or a Ray 2 using the same hanger:

Goodies from Riparium Supply:

Planted and ready to go in the tank (bonus points if you spy Rocky sleeping in the background):

Planters and rafts in place:

FTS:

There's some definite wilting, especially the Asclepias. I'm assuming that's normal from the shipping, planting, and lights. They should perk up soon though, everything was definitely healthy.

I added a couple little stems of pennywort to the rafts, but it wasn't emersed growth so it probably won't make it. If it doesn't I'll snip a little h. japan from my wabi kusa and use that.

Hmm, what else. Oh, I planted a few stems of blyxa, but I don't think I like it. Or at the very least I need to add something else as well. Something taller.