Ferts in alow tech.. worth it?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ferts in alow tech.. worth it?

I have a low tech 84G (48x24) tank with 2x 54W T5HO lights (which i believe is medium light).. substrate is MGOCPM capped with eco-complete.

Is it worth dosing excel or just let the tank get all its nutrients from the soil. Would there be any big difference?
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Excel is a carbon source - judging from the light you are using, I would say yes, it should improve plant growth.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Indeed! Dosing certainly will not harm your tank and can provide for more delicate and troublesome plants that have certain requirements. Excel can also act as an algaecide to a minor degree and in that regard can be very effective. we keep many low tech tanks and dose a variety of different supplements for each tank based upon their specific needs. Excel, Flourish, Iron, Potassium, Nitrogen, Iodide, Trace are all in my cabinet.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
shift
Wannabe Guru

i was thinking of trying Metricide 14.. would I still need to does iron on top of it?

I pre-treat my water in a large container and was thinking of dosing the water change and let it work its way in to the tank on water changes..

Do any of these ferts hurt shrimp at all?
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
kseanm247
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Depending on the manufacturer of your lights and the distance from bulb to substrate, I think they lean more towards the high-light category. There's a light intensity thread on here somewhere that explains it very well.
kseanm247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
shift
Wannabe Guru

Right now they are about 6" above the rim.. I'm still waiting for 2-4 more bags of eco-complete so the soil line is TBD. I do plan on lowering the light closer to the top.. probably 1-2" above the top (i don't want to see the bulb from the couch.. to bright!)

I would guess the light would be anywhere from 20-26" from the substrate once i build in the hills/valleys with the substrate.
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
i was thinking of trying Metricide 14.. would I still need to does iron on top of it?

I pre-treat my water in a large container and was thinking of dosing the water change and let it work its way in to the tank on water changes..

Do any of these ferts hurt shrimp at all?
Metricide 14 is an alternative Carbon source like Excel, neither have any Iron. Iron supplementation would be determined by your specific plant needs. Many strong red plants need Iron to color properly and some plants can exhibit Iron Defeciencies (Swords being one of the more common)

Most plant liquid plant fertilizers dissipate or lose effectiveness once exposed to light/air. In a sealed container it should be fine, though I would personally just dose what is needed. Some call for daily dosing.

None have effected mine. Flourish comprehensive does contain a trace of copper, but I have personally never seen anything that would lead me to believe it has ever harmed them. Cardinal Shrimp, OEBT's, CBS SSS, Cherries, and none have ever shown distress after water changes or dosing. I myself dose Iodide (Reef grade) for the shrimp and feel it is useful. I see better growth, molting, and breeding. Many argue it is not necessary, it is up to the individual aquarist to determine its inherent danger or effectiveness. I dose a simple drop per 5 gallons, so its a very low dose in any manner.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Cthulhu
Planted Member

You should also dose potassium.
For my low tech tank, I dose Flourish Excel, Flourish comprehensive and Flourish potassium, and some Flourish Iron.

I only have anubias and java moss. I had stopped dosing potassium for maybe a month and the anubias suffered terribly. After I resumed dosing it again the anubias started growing extremely well again. So that pretty much proved how important potassium is.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Dosing Fertilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
I have a low tech 84G (48x24) tank with 2x 54W T5HO lights (which i believe is medium light).. substrate is MGOCPM capped with eco-complete.

Is it worth dosing excel or just let the tank get all its nutrients from the soil. Would there be any big difference?
Hello shift...

I wouldn't call your lighting low tech. I use standard florescent bulbs in my larger tanks and that's low tech.

As for ferts, if you have a reasonable fish load, you don't need to dose a supplement. Just feed your fish a balanced diet. The ferts the fish produce work the best long term. Excel is pricey and plants will get used to one fert and growth will plateau.

If you want to dose liquids, then rotate different ones every few weeks. Plants are like anything else that's alive, they'll do best with a variety of nutrients.

You can help your plants by keeping the water pure with large, weekly water changes of half the tank volume. This alone will maintain good levels of nitrate, phosphate and sulfate the plants need for good health.

Just one reporter's opinion, though. You're the tank keeper.

B
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
shift
Wannabe Guru

Default Ferts in alow tech.. worth it?

I actually just picked up a gallon of metricide 14 which I may do a small dose on water changes. That will probably be the extent of my frets
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp

Tags
excel, ferts, low tech