Driftwood Noobie Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
December
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Driftwood Noobie Question

I have a 75 gallon tank with currently only Pothos plants in it. Still learning planted tank in a 10 gallon first before moving completely over to the 75 gallon. However i brought two pieces of driftwood and placed them inside my 75 gallon. I am currently getting this white-ish-grey cotton look alike stuff around the drift wood.

Is this normal? What could this be? How do i prevent this? Any helps is much appreciated. Thanks!

Images 1:

Image 2:
December is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
ETK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

its normal. You can scrub it with a toothbrush and then the filter will pick it up. It will go away after a few weeks or so anyway.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have nearly the same stuff on my lace rock.

I was told it is a fungus, and it harmless.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
December
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. That give me a little bit of breathing room

Do you know what it is? Or what is causing it?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
kseanm247
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I call it snot. My manzanita branches 'snotted' for about two months before I put them in my tank. I had them soaking in a five gallon bucket of tank water that I would change out every week at water change time. At first I had them in a bucket of tap water but they didn't snot in there so make sure you use tank water if you pre-soak your wood.

I read that it is actually some kind of bacteria leeching out of the wood and it isn't supposed to be harmful to anything. If there is any left on my wood now, the oto's take care of it.
kseanm247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
December
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseanm247 View Post
I read that it is actually some kind of bacteria leeching out of the wood and it isn't supposed to be harmful to anything. If there is any left on my wood now, the oto's take care of it.

Thanks for replies guys. Guess i just have to keep cleaning at it. Will get a few Otos to help take care of it.

Thanks Again
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
greenground
Algae Grower

Let me know how the Otos work out for you, I have the same thing on my drift wood and I only have 3 cherry shrimps and they dont't touch it.

I was hoping they would go to town on it. Sadly they did not.
greenground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I read someplace (not sure where, may have been something Walstad wrote, not certain...) that the whitish fuzz is a fungus, and after the tank gets established, bacteria out compete the fungus, which is why it's typically only seen in the beginning of a set up.

The snails in my tank seemed to keep it under control when I was cycling my tank- I only had a couple small patches in the beginning, and they didn't last even a week.

But then, I'm one of the few people who not only doesn't mind snails, but actually likes them.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
sonoralinda
Algae Grower

Default Fuzzy Driftwood

When I put in a manzanita stump that had been sandblasted and soaked for a couple of weeks it didn't take long for the fuzzy stuff to start growing with a passion. I put some little otto's in there and they thought they'd died and gone to heaven. They rarely left the stump. I also put in some nerite snails and this will surprise you, maybe, guppies and a white pair of mollies. They are great tank cleaners for that stuff and for algae. They ate all the algae and started attacking my moss, after I tied it to the stump. After that the mollies had to go. I fed them blanched zucchini but they loved my flame moss. I keep the mollies in the guppy tank until I need a quick clean up again, they're great cleaners!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
December
Algae Grower

I am not sure about invertebrates as i have never kept them before (have only had mollies, Bettas,tetras and Otos). I don't mind the snails at all, but i just don't know enough about them to keep them as pets yet.. don't want them to die on the first couple of days in the tank.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

It's good that you don't mind snails, since you will probably get them at some point, whether you want them or not.

Most of them you don't really need to do anything, you'll get some tiny ones or some eggs in with a batch of plants, and they will establish a population and crawl around eating algae, biofilm, uneaten food, etc. They're pretty tough, and can live fairly well in some horrid water conditions.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
melannjur
Algae Grower

Were your snails okay while the tank was cycling? I was thinking of getting a snail but my pH is about 8, have not researched it yet?
melannjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melannjur View Post
Were your snails okay while the tank was cycling? I was thinking of getting a snail but my pH is about 8, have not researched it yet?

I set up my tank, planted it, and started the cycle all in the same night (it took quite a bit of beer...).

I didn't intentionally add snails, they probably just came in on the plants, most were small enough I couldn't see them. They didn't seem bothered by the cycle, and grew and reproduced fairly quickly (I guess eating all the driftwood fungus and developing biofilm, etc.).