My first wabi kusa w/ step by step pics! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Hmm, I did plant a couple ludwigia stems, but they were more on the side. I guess a side shoot could have grown straight up from inside. At some point I guess I should actually try to learn some names instead of relying on everyone here. Haha.

Yeah, it's definitely growing a lot all of a sudden. The glosso is really reaching though, so I think I do need to increase my light after all. My desk lamp says 13w max, so I need to find a new fixture first. Maybe one of the smaller Zoo Med domes or something.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
Hmm, I did plant a couple ludwigia stems, but they were more on the side. I guess a side shoot could have grown straight up from inside. At some point I guess I should actually try to learn some names instead of relying on everyone here. Haha.

Yeah, it's definitely growing a lot all of a sudden. The glosso is really reaching though, so I think I do need to increase my light after all. My desk lamp says 13w max, so I need to find a new fixture first. Maybe one of the smaller Zoo Med domes or something.
Home Depot sells those LED screw in bulbs that use minimal power but produce much better PAR ratings and ALOT less heat. If needed, you could lower the desk lamp to get more intensity too.

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

you inspired me, but I flooded mine.

I have a bad feeling the ball of clay under there is going to explode! lol! keeping my fingers crossed I am wrong!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #19
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
Home Depot sells those LED screw in bulbs that use minimal power but produce much better PAR ratings and ALOT less heat. If needed, you could lower the desk lamp to get more intensity too.
Thanks for the idea. I actually went today to check them out, but ended up not getting one because the color temp was 5000k and I was afraid it would look too yellow. I'm going to check Lowes this week or look online and see if I can find one in the 6500k range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
you inspired me, but I flooded mine.
<snip>
I have a bad feeling the ball of clay under there is going to explode! lol! keeping my fingers crossed I am wrong!
Very nice! That's a cool jar. Is it actually flared out at the bottom or is that just from the camera lense?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Time for a picture update. This thing is seriously growing. I don't know if I should trim the glosso or not.

The ludwigia has grown a lot, but it's actually reaching down and has lots of sideshoots. The backside has a "bald spot" so I added a couple nodes of marsilea minuta and a little clump of dhg belem. I want to add another stem or two, but I don't have any emersed growth right now to use.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #21
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

yes it flares, I found both vessels at the local thrift shop for 3 bucks each

the growth you've had is wonderful
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

OMG Stacy, this is beautiful! It has really gone to town, look at that plush glosso What's your routine with misting, fertilizing, etc?

[EDIT] By the way, are you still using the 13W light or did you end up switching it out?
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

It looks fantastic! I have to keep all my wabi kusa in an emersed covered setup submerged, because I can't keep up with misting so often.
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
OMG Stacy, this is beautiful! It has really gone to town, look at that plush glosso What's your routine with misting, fertilizing, etc?

[EDIT] By the way, are you still using the 13W light or did you end up switching it out?
I haven't used any ferts at all, so just whatever was mixed in the clay. I think you said you added some osmocote? I think my flourite I have in the bottom was used, so there might have been some goodies in that too. I just mist twice a day with straight tap water and add a little extra water when the bottom looks dry. It gets some sun in the morning and then I run the light for around 12 hours. And yes, I'm still using the 13w cfl, but I keep it about 2-3" from the top of the glass.

I wish my tanks had growth like this! Haha.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #25
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, just a bit of Osmocote. Those are just stunning results. I can't get my current light that close to the top, but I have another I could use... I think I'll experiment

Thanks for sharing! I'll be posting an update this weekend.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
Yes, just a bit of Osmocote. Those are just stunning results. I can't get my current light that close to the top, but I have another I could use... I think I'll experiment

Thanks for sharing! I'll be posting an update this weekend.
I think you lied, I think it was STEROIDS. This is less than a week after the last photo:

The empty spot in the back is almost filled in with no assistance from me (the mm and dhg I added hasn't taken off yet). I'm so in love with this thing. I need to keep an eye out for a cool container to start another one or maybe just ask my husband for a little low iron cube or a Do Aqua plant glass for my birthday.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default My first wabi kusa w/ step by step pics!

I want one so bad I tried to buy one off the guy who RAOK'd yours. He is extremely nice, but ran out of materials lol.

Someday I'll do a little glass just like this

Yours is so beautiful. I find it much neater than struggling with ferts/co2 in a full on planted aquarium.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #28
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

Awesome progress! The stems you used, we're they being grown emersed? Or did you just pull them out of your tank?
denske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I want one so bad I tried to buy one off the guy who RAOK'd yours. He is extremely nice, but ran out of materials lol.

Someday I'll do a little glass just like this

Yours is so beautiful. I find it much neater than struggling with ferts/co2 in a full on planted aquarium.
If you're not lazy like I am it wouldn't be that hard to put together your own materials. Our soil here doesn't have the red clay like Scott sent me, so I'm thinking of trying the powdered clay you can buy at health food stores and then adding some dry fertilizer and enough water to make it the right consistency. Everything else is pretty easy to get together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denske View Post
Awesome progress! The stems you used, we're they being grown emersed? Or did you just pull them out of your tank?
The ones I added that didn't make it were just straight from my tank. The ludwigia that's growing I think hitchhiked in with the glosso, and unless I'm mistaken I think they were emersed.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stacy, this is beautiful! I'm very impressed with this. Keep up the good work I didn't THINK I sent you steroids, but maybe I did by mistake

Mark, I'm going to be redoing one of my wabis. I can get enough supplies together for both of us if you're still interested. Just send me a PM